Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

So, Watery John's latest rant..

http://www.irishtimes.com/debate/christian-inheritance-allows-us-to-face-dismal-times-with-hope-in-our-hearts-1.1419739#.UbIYpdSgIHw.twitter

Apparently, Irish non-Christians and Atheists are happy because we are basking in the golden shower of Christians' hopeful hearts. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Hurr hurr, golden shower.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

So, Watery John's latest rant..

http://www.irishtimes.com/debate/christian-inheritance-allows-us-to-face-dismal-times-with-hope-in-our-hearts-1.1419739#.UbIYpdSgIHw.twitter

Apparently, Irish non-Christians and Atheists are happy because we are basking in the golden shower of Christians' hopeful hearts. :rolleyes:

Fecks sake, some Christians will just lay claim to any facet of the human experience.

"Bask in the radiance of Waters." Someone pass me a bucket:rolleyes: He really is a strutting cockerel. Just wandering around making non-Christians happy through some sort of osmosis.

Luckily for humanity, people can feel inspired/hopeful regardless of their religious perspective. Or is he daring to claim that the ability to dream is a uniquely Christian trait?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

We should totally have a forum competition to parody Waters. Random topic every week, most eye-wateringly godawful pile of **** post wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

That article is the perfect example of somebody who's entire thought process regarding religion is incredibly facile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm definitely up for writing an esoteric article.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

koth wrote: »
    Fecks sake, some Christians will just lay claim to any facet of the human experience.

"Bask in the radiance of Waters." Someone pass me a bucket:rolleyes: He really is a strutting cockerel. Just wandering around making non-Christians happy through some sort of osmosis.

Luckily for humanity, people can feel inspired/hopeful regardless of their religious perspective. Or is he daring to claim that the ability to dream is a uniquely Christian trait?

Ehm...yes if this is a strutting cockeral:

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/watersnip.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Are there any other serious newspapers anywhere in the English speaking world(*) that regularly publish this kind of blatant religious propaganda?

(*) an arbitrary enough distinction I know, but its the only language in which I read well enough to be able to make a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

FFS! You could have warned us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,910 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Isn't it odd that JW seems to think the ranters and ravers on Whineline are somehow representative of public opinion?

He really is a patronising little effer when it comes to atheists. Also like most religious commentators he doesn't know what secularism means :rolleyes:

A good poll question for yer cultural catholics would be 'Is the resurrection of Jesus Christ the most important thing you've ever heard of?' Anyone reckon the 'yes' percentage would get out of single figures?

Edit: Just in case anyone hasn't seen this in Hazards. :)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Erm, it's like an early Christmas present, we have an article from John today!
    http://www.irishcatholic.ie/20130620/opinion/more-wary-of-female-emotions-than-abortion-S34555.html#.UcMEk789hPY.twitter

A basic summary is, Irish press failed to publish this hard hitting letter.
    ‘What is the difference, in human rights terms, between a situation in which a distraught male goes in to his doctor and says that his partner is making him suicidal and that he fears that unless he/she (the doctor) arranges to have the partner killed he will kill himself, and a situation in which a distraught female goes to her doctor and says that her unborn child is making her suicidal and that she fears that unless he/she (the doctor) arranges to have the child killed she will kill herself?”
    He's great for critical analysis. :rolleyes: Then he does a hard hitting exposé on how women should get a hold of themselves and their hormones, shouldn't be trusted etc etc. Selfish,bla-bla, liberal media bias and a bit of claim of us all just being misandrists too. They should be happy with the pregnancy no matter what the circumstance as it is a blessing. My brain hurts as a result......

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

There is no reason to assume that a pregnancy ought to be anything other than a source of joy to the woman involved. In the vast majority of the very limited number of cases in which this is not so, the factors underlying the difficulty usually relate not to objective circumstances but to either intuited societal disapproval or selfishness on the part of the woman involved.

Jesus fcuking christ fcuk off

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I read it, commented on it, and now I can't see because the red mist has descended.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

A piece with the core message that women are emotionally manipulative and that's why they are more likely to get what they want when compared to men.

He really has a bitter streak towards women :eek:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

At this stage I'm convinced that he's parodying himself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

TheChizler wrote: »
    At this stage I'm convinced that he's parodying himself.
    Was having dinner in darkest D4 the other evening, when Witters walked in with some lady and sat down a few tables away.

Considering the misery, fear and hatred that his leaden, deceitful prose induces in Popette and vulnerable people like her, he can count himself lucky indeed that I wasn't serving or cooking for him.

robindch wrote: »
    Was having dinner in darkest D4 the other evening, when Witters walked in with some lady and sat down a few tables away.

Considering the misery, fear and hatred that his leaden, deceitful prose induces in Popette and vulnerable people like her, he can count himself lucky indeed that I wasn't serving or cooking for him.

Next time you see him on a date whip out that article and ask her is she comfortable dating someone who hates women so much

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

There is no reason to assume that a pregnancy ought to be anything other than a source of joy to the woman involved.

Jesus Christ, what an ignorant bastard.

Yeah, my wife's work colleague really enjoyed carrying her brainless baby to full term. It was a great source of joy to her. Or maybe it wasn't because she was a selfish bitch?

Why not crawl off and die in a hole, you ignorant fúck.

Good. Waters has exposed the rampant misogny of the anti-choice ****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Erm, it's like an early Christmas present, we have an article from John today!
    http://www.irishcatholic.ie/20130620/opinion/more-wary-of-female-emotions-than-abortion-S34555.html#.UcMEk789hPY.twitter

He's great for critical analysis. :rolleyes: Then he does a hard hitting exposé on how women should get a hold of themselves and their hormones, shouldn't be trusted etc etc. Selfish,bla-bla, liberal media bias and a bit of claim of us all just being misandrists too. They should be happy with the pregnancy no matter what the circumstance as it is a blessing. My brain hurts as a result......

...he's finally managed to combine the two main streams in his life - bitter misogyny and creeping jesus Catholicism.

Bloody hell, this is just pig-ignorant stuff that you'd expect from Tadhg the retired farmer. Then again, the Irish Catholic did publish an equally ignorant article by Mary Kenny completely missing the point about stoicism and Irish society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bloody hell, this is just pig-ignorant stuff that you'd expect from Tadhg the retired farmer. Then again, the Irish Catholic did publish an equally ignorant article by Mary Kenny completely missing the point about stoicism and Irish society.

...the bit that has the heading "Theoretical Idea" is where the mask gets flung off entirely. Vile, bitter stuff with little or no basis in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Nodin wrote: »
    ...the bit that has the heading "Theoretical Idea" is where the mask gets flung off entirely. Vile, bitter stuff with little or no basis in fact.

Oh christ, I am SO sorry I read that. How he has managed to think.........fcuk it, words fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,910 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Irish-Press-1-January-1973.jpg

Not surprised, it's been closed for years :pac:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Judging by the comments, the wider comment-posting internet doesn't seem all that impressed with Waters' latest lunge into the predictably deranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

The awesome David Robert Grimes has written an open letter to our good friend john you can read it here
    Some of you may be familiar with the work of John Waters; he's an Irish religious conservative who is blessed with strong opinions, laced with increasingly toxic amounts of homophobia and misogyny. Seeing as John's gone and upset every one again this week, this is my open letter to Dear old John

The awesome David Robert Grimes has written an open letter to our good friend john you can read it here

That is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I loved this part:
    but of late, I cannot help but notice the rosary clutching morally indignant Ireland you paint is not the Ireland many of us know, and I’m concerned about your grasp on reality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

The problem with Waters is that he is a narcissist, he mixes up his opinion with fact. He somehow thinks that just because he believes something, then that makes it true.

Advertisement