Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

That column is just plain boring. I think Holy Waters is losing his touch and needs to do another about turn to be noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

He's just such an idiot. How he doesn't realise that a bunch of knee-jerk assholes on the internet don't represent the population at large I don't know. I agree with him that people should put their money where their mouth is; if you're genuinely in favour of people being allowed to freely express their sexuality then you have to reign in any notions about considering a woman a slut. It is hypocritical. I find the same with a lot of things: I have friends who are fine with gay people, but get weird around transgendered people (respect for whom is derived as directly from liberal principles as respect for gay people), or who are fine with gay marriage but oppose mutual-consent polygamy. Where I disagree is where he makes the—admittedly implied— rather absurd leap that because there is a degree of hypocrisy amongst some liberals regarding women's sexuality that liberalism is false and a return to the old ways is preferable.

Not to mention that he assumes anyone using social media is a liberal, and if they express non-liberal views that they are hypocrites, as opposed to, y'know, not liberals. Finally, the idea that modern issues with female sexual promiscuity are anyway comparable to the public-shaming, suicide-inducing levels of condemnation that they inspired fifty years ago is simply idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Probably just wishes he'd had a threesome with some rugby players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Sarky wrote: »
    Probably just wishes he'd had a threesome with some rugby players.

Thanks for that mental image you utter ba$tard.

• Advertisement

We've all seen the abomination that was Waters in the nip, surely the idea of him sandwiched between two giant blocky skinheads isn't that great a leap?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,242 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

From the IT article
    "The same people who decided that what’s happened to this woman “serves her right” would be declaring she had “every right” to express her sexuality in whatever way she pleased."

John has done his calculations on this and decided that since some People would say “serves her right” and some People would say she has “every right", therfore the same peope say both things.

Oh Johnny you tricky devil. Interesting to an extent it just also happens to be logical bullskyte.

He does his profession a disservice producing this standard of nonsense.

I've often wondered if he had to perform much in the way of fellatio to remain a 'journalist', because it sure as hell isn't any talent in journalism keeping him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sarky wrote: »
    We've all seen the abomination that was Waters in the nip, surely the idea of him sandwiched between two giant blocky skinheads isn't that great a leap?

Alright, that's it, get out. Go on, out you go.

Pfft, you guys are obviously totes repressed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

John gets upset at the Meeja:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/meeja-a-word-coined-by-metropolitans-to-keep-the-country-bumpkin-in-his-place-1.1495412

Apparently, it derives "from a caricature of a country bumpkin prognosticating, above his station, on media matters".

John's also annoyed that some people working in the meeja are "given free rein to advance their personal agendas in the name of reportage."

/facepalm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I caught the end of him talking cack on VB last night. He had Dunphy agreeing with him, but about what I've no real idea - "the meedja" sneering possibly at faith, or some such bollocks. <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

robindch wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/meeja-a-word-coined-by-metropolitans-to-keep-the-country-bumpkin-in-his-place-1.1495412

Apparently, it derives "from a caricature of a country bumpkin prognosticating, above his station, on media matters".

John's also annoyed that some people working in the meeja are "given free rein to advance their personal agendas in the name of reportage."

/facepalm

The irony, it burns.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

robindch wrote: »

/facepalm

"Do as I say, not as I do." :rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    "Do as I say, not as I do." :rolleyes:

Now now. Its not Johns agenda, it's God's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Nodin wrote: »
    Now now. Its not Johns agenda, it's God's.

He just thinks he's God.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Yet again, I stupidly made an effort to understand his article. As usual, I reach the halfway mark and have to scroll back to the top because he goes on such a wild tangent that I forget what he is supposed to be talking about.

On the other hand, this thread threw up a christian dating website ad. The girl in the photo is pretty hot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

As a result, Irish journalism now takes it for granted that that there is but one “virtuous” way of seeing the world. Ostensibly, the favoured ideological “principles” read as feminist, left-wing, liberal, secular, etc, but in reality nothing is advanced or promoted out of a desire for any kind of truth. The main purpose is effect – to provide the contributor with a gracing aspect in the eyes of those whose approval is the point of the whole thing. That’s why, every day now, fundamental principles of the pre-existing philosophical outlooks of this society are sold out in the name of fashion and fad.

Liberals and secularists?

Quick! To the Bias Cave!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Quick! To the Bias Cave!

We'll have to take a detour, the junction at Hypocrisy Hill is blocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You have to laugh at an 'opinion' writer complaining about the alleged biases of reporters, he can write any old guff he pleases without the slightest relation to fact.

He's finally completely lost it it seems, can we expect a Network-style meltdown next week?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

One can only hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

ninja900 wrote: »
    can we expect a Network-style meltdown next week?
    Well he's definitely mad as hell...

Quick! To the Bias Cave!

They are just the first wave.....the true threat lies in our bosom wielding feminist oppressors.......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Nodin wrote: »
    They are just the first wave.....the true threat lies in our bosom wielding feminist oppressors.......

I read that as bosom welding and was about to say I can't weld but really want to learn how :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I read that as bosom welding and was about to say I can't weld but really want to learn how :pac:

It's quite easy, but I don't use my bosoms. Well, I try not to use any body parts except well shielded hands and eyes....

Obliq wrote: »
    It's quite easy, but I don't use my bosoms. Well, I try not to use any body parts except well shielded hands and eyes....

Ah - just like I don't use my bosoms to type - as I once informed a colleague as he sat there waiting for me to type a letter for him (back when a 'word processor' was a fancy typewriter) while he sat there and did feck all.
    5 hours it took him to type that (rapidly edited to be shorter as he typed it) letter, it would have been longer but he adapted the stick tongue out side of mouth method of concentration after 2 hours. I sat there doing feck all besides drinking coffee and informing him that I refused to fall for the old 'ah, shure - men, Ye're useless altogether give it here to me and I'll do it or we'll be here all day' schtick that Irishmen are world experts at...The old look useless and Irish Mammy (or the nearest equivalent) will do it for me school of thought

He really shouldn't gestured vaguely at my bosom area and said 'but you are better at that kind of thing because...well...ummmm...you know....'

Hence the typing with tits retort.

I am so impressed that you can weld btw. I shall call you Wonder Woman and I shall boast of you to my friends. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I wonder if John is aware of this thread's existence, and is just trolling us with his barely coherent babble?

Links234 wrote: »
    I wonder if John is aware of this thread's existence, and is just trolling us with his barely coherent babble?
    We could make up all kinds of sh*te and see if he bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

NOT MORE FECKING SPOILERS.

• Advertisement

NOT MORE FECKING SPOILERS.
    It was the most evil thing I could think of.
    :D

Advertisement