Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I tried welding with sunglasses on once, instead of trying to find the welding mask.
    It was pretty darned cool at the time, but all the skin peeled off my face a few days later. Damned UV light :mad:
    I'm quite willing to learn bosum welding next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

recedite wrote: »
    I tried welding with sunglasses on once, instead of trying to find the welding mask.
    It was pretty darned cool at the time, but all the skin peeled off my face a few days later. Damned UV light :mad:

....I could never arc weld. I'm an old school oxygen and acetylene man.....been many a year though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i just use the white hot heat of my godless indignation to fuse metals together.

Oxy-acetylene is a real skill. Arc welding is just holding a live wire close to a piece of metal to make sparks. Even a minor deity can wield a bit of lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Did you light a cigar off the welding torch? Please tell me that while you were welding in a pair of shades (aviators, for badass-ness) you took the time to light a cigar off the torch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Oxy-acetylene is a real skill. Arc welding is just holding a live wire close to a piece of metal to make sparks. Even a minor deity can wield a bit of lightning.

Hah, you've never seen me arc weld then! It looks like the trail of a snail on LSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

^^^^

Dammit. I really feel like I am missing out. Gotta get me some welding lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    ^^^^

Dammit. I really feel like I am missing out. Gotta get me some welding lessons.

It's a lot of fun, sparks and heat and a point of light the size of a grain of rice that is brighter than the sun.

Doing it well is an art.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Arc welding is just holding a live wire close to a piece of metal to make sparks. Even a minor deity can wield a bit of lightning.
    Years ago in a large factory near Cork where I used to work occasionally, I remember watching this rather elderly welder standing on a chair, welding two stainless steel pipes together around six feet off the ground. He did the weld in one go, starting at about top dead center, arm and hand awkwardly reaching up behind the pipe, then slowly zig-zagging left and right all the way around the bottom and back up the front, somehow sliding his hand slowly around the handle while maintaining a constant tangent angle onto the pipe. He cleaned off the dross and brushed it up, to reveal a weld that was a work of art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Meet my friends Mike and Podge. They decided to make a video of them swordfighting. The swords are connected to an arc welder because special effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sarky wrote: »
    Meet my friends Mike and Podge. They decided to make a video of them swordfighting. The swords are connected to an arc welder because special effects.

That's awesome. Shame they went to the trouble of setting all of that up and then recording it on their granddad's phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That's the best thing ever.

It made me nervous, as I always was convinced I was going to get a shock. Never really learnt as a result.

Zillah wrote: »
    That's awesome. Shame they went to the trouble of setting all of that up and then recording it on their granddad's phone.
    TheChizler wrote: »
    That's the best thing ever.

You might both be interested to learn Mike later did the same thing with a better camera, and the addition of fire! :pac:

Look through michaelcthulhu's YouTube channel for loads more people doing really stupid dangerous things with weapons and elemental forces of nature.
    I have the best friends.

Oxy-acetylene arc fencing?
    An awesome new sport is born....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You might both be interested to learn Mike later did the same thing with a better camera, and the addition of fire! :pac:

Look through michaelcthulhu's YouTube channel for loads more people doing really stupid dangerous things with weapons and elemental forces of nature.
    I have the best friends.

My appreciation of the world has skyrocketed knowing that someone has done this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

I have the best friends.

Holy moly, that's freaky! :eek: My biggest fear is fire, so this is not so cool as the first excellent fight....my only problem with arc welding is not the fear of electric shock, it's the fire risk, although unless (like welder friends of mine do ALL THE TIME :eek: again...) you've managed to weld next to leaky digger hydraulics, that's not going to happen much. Ewwww, shiver.

Mig welding is something I want to do (more accuracy) but it carries more risk of explosions and fire (with the bottled gas). I've only done a small bit of welding - don't think I'd take it up as a career!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I have the best friends.

Holy moly. Am I right in saying that there is nothing stopping a blob of flaming napalm landing on their faces? That's commitment.
    Though 16:9 video in a 4:3 frame for me is like saying "Their wear no peeple in are house" to an English teacher

Zillah wrote: »
    Holy moly. Am I right in saying that there is nothing stopping a blob of flaming napalm landing on their faces? That's commitment.

Even better, the flash from the blades connecting was painfully blinding (arc welder, remember), so most of the time they're not even looking where they're swinging those things ^_^

Apparently it all started when Mike sneaked a sip out of Podge's beer.
    They are two f***ing aggressive atheists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is it just me or does that remind me of the flaming sword fight in S3 of Game of Thrones? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

"Meeja.....blah blah.....secularism.....waffle waffle....ideologies.....blah blah"

I could write this column myself every week.

lazygal wrote: »
    "Meeja.....blah blah.....secularism.....waffle waffle....ideologies.....blah blah"

I could write this column myself every week.

You can't, as you lack the correct qualification.

Waters wrote:

I began my contribution on this question by referring to the structural need
    of human beings for a relationship with the infinite/transcendent dimension of
    reality, but was immediately interrupted by the stand-in presenter, Ger
    Colleran.............

We are communally obligated to buy drink for this Ger Colleran, on any occasion we see him. The nation owes him much.
    Waters wrote:

Five days later I delivered the keynote address at the Rimini Meeting, to the
    title of this year’s event: “The Human Person: a State of Emergency.” I spoke
    for 90 minutes to an audience of perhaps 20,000 between the immediate arena and
    others gathering around the sprawling campus of the Rimini Fiera.

Though this sounds like a war crime, it would seem the attendees are already beyond help.....
    http://www.meetingrimini.org/eng/default.asp?id=826
    Waters wrote:

The “human emergency” I described as occurring at the point where the human
    person meets “society”, but reverberating backwards to the core of every human
    heart. Each of us, in the cultures constructed for our protection and
    advancement, feels increasing dissociated by virtue of being cut off from
    understandings relating to the infinite mysterious reality which is our true
    “home”.

...how out of my gourd, and on what would I have to be, to think that made sense....? There's a question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Five days later I delivered the keynote address at the Rimini Meeting, to the title of this year’s event: “The Human Person: a State of Emergency.” I spoke for 90 minutes to an audience of perhaps 20,000 between the immediate arena and others gathering around the sprawling campus of the Rimini Fiera. My theme was essentially the one I had attempted to open up on Tonight. Here, however, I received an enthusiastic hearing and, beforehand and afterwards, was interviewed at length by numerous outlets.

Wait, the other week you were saying you remained untroubled by calls from radio and TV stations, now people couldn't wait to talk to you?
    Also, 90 minutes of JW - did their heads implode?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Each of us, in the cultures constructed for our protection and advancement, feels increasing dissociated by virtue of being cut off from understandings relating to the infinite mysterious reality which is our true “home”. The ways human beings have through the ages sought to couch and capture this sense of mysteriousness are gradually being sidelined, leaving us operating with just a portion of our reason and a concomitant reduction in our functioning capacities.
    One of the chief symptoms of the problem is that we fail to recognise that there’s a problem here at all. But everything that assails us can be described in these terms – including our economic situation, which is really the creaking of a man-made system under the pressure of the infinite desiring of human beings.
    "We all have an emptiness inside of us. We don't even know it's there, but it is. This emptiness is caused by the increasing pace of change in society. Only by returning to God can we return to the wholeness that we don't even know we're missing".

This is the same old bollox that's been peddled by every preacher, conman, & snake oil salesman since the dawn of time. That everyone is missing an ethereal "something" that is the source of unhappiness, and that <insert religion here> has this etheral "something".

Nothing but a bullsh1t-peddler. If you're unhappy John, then go sort yourself out. Don't assume that everyone else feels the same as you and needs to hear you rambling on about the evils of modern society in order to be "saved". Plenty of us have no religion and don't need saving, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Wait, the other week you were saying you remained untroubled by calls from radio and TV stations, now people couldn't wait to talk to you?
    Also, 90 minutes of JW - did their heads implode?

I thinks his gripe is that he kept out of the Irish media (apart from a dozen annual tokenistic appearances on various national prime time radio and tv discussion programmes, where he is always censored by the jackbot of the fascist liberal God-hating ideology fostered by Pat Rabbitte and the D4 media establishment (or something).

Over in Italy, see, they can appreciate the uncensored truth from Pope Waters on account of their awareness and appreciation for a truthful vision and nurturing of the human spirit in the universal paradigm of wonder blah blah blah (someone pass the smelling salts, I'm feeling a bit funny)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

It's worth noting that the Meeting in Rimini is organised by a group known as Comunione e Liberazione (Communion and Liberation) which has been embroiled in numerous corruption scandals recently:

http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/conservative-catholic-group-gripped-scandal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I come to this thread to laugh at his articles. I can't bear to open them on the Irish Times website for fear that my traffic would give him some sort of vindication.

Advertisement