Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Corkfeen wrote: »
    That diagnosis was much appreciated Jank, I was going to go to Freud for a diagnosis but you'll do as you're as off the wall but lacking in the technique. Can I make an appointment?

If you really do believe that the posters in this thread are narcissistic or suffer from low self-esteem which many people do. It's somewhat childish and inappropriate to lower yourself to denigrating people that do suffer from emotional issues of any variety. If you don't believe it, it's even worse as you'd prefer to make light of people with such issues.

Also Waters' articles tend to be on the spectrum of hilarity rather than shock jockey. I'll admit that I enjoy reading his articles as I enjoy reading statements that are incredible, obtuse, absurd and wordy while at the same time not really saying anything. I get a similar satisfaction from reading your posts.

Wow, are we actually turning the thread into a serious discussion all of a sudden as soon as I joke about something you quickly take offence to? No harm intended honestly.

However, If you like my posts that much I am saving up for a new laptop if you want to donate ;) Might help!

Nodin wrote: »
    ......if that really is the case, you'd wonder why some folk post in this forum......

Keep up the good work Nodin. There is a medal somewhere in this for you.

your_country_needs_you.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This sniping is petty and juvenile. Please stop it!

Sarky wrote: »
    Must be a very slow day for faux outrage when jank resorts to leaping to John Waters' defence.

Eh... defence? Calling him a two bit journalist whom I personally never read and who should be out of a job is defending him around these parts.

Ironicly its you guys keeping him in a job. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

jank wrote: »
    Eh... defence? Calling him a two bit journalist whom I personally never read and who should be out of a job is defending him around these parts.

It's the highest praise I've heard for the waste of paper....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

jank wrote: »

He's a 'commentator'. We comment on his commentary, or what of it is intelligible.

He's a 'commentator'. We comment on his commentary, or what of it is intelligible.

Yes, I get that, well done. But not sure what I wrote on this thread qualifies in 'defending' him.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

They had him in prison, and the fools let him out again.

No doubt next Friday will see an article on how the Gardai are evil feminazi librals in the employ of the godless secular meeja.

He would have gotten on fine if he'd stayed in prison. He's well used to having sex with skinheads anyway . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

MetalDog wrote: »
    He would have gotten on fine if he'd stayed in prison. He's well used to having sex with skinheads anyway . . .

tumblr_lytuimTNb21qi7deco1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/the-meaning-of-my-wheatfield-experience-is-that-sometimes-we-must-just-say-no-1.1517638

... So Waters seems to think he's actually some kind of f*cking hero for trying to dodge a parking fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/the-meaning-of-my-wheatfield-experience-is-that-sometimes-we-must-just-say-no-1.1517638

... So Waters seems to think he's actually some kind of f*cking hero for trying to dodge a parking fine.

He's being oppressed because he chose to park in a paid parking area? Was someone holding a gun to his head and instructing to park there? And they made him put money in the parking meter? They also kept him away from his car until they were sure he would be fined? And in a final twist of wickedness, they instructed him to not pay the fine? :rolleyes:

Give me a break, he knew the time limit on parking area and figured he could get away with running over the paid time. Why hasn't he been campaigning to do away with paid parking and go back to the good ole days of free parking.

Mr Waters is less a hero and more like a Kevin!

kevin_teenager_270.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The commenters are in fine fettle this morning.

"The Mandela of Castlerea" indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Whether we know it or not, we are all of us, all the time, oppressed by the kind of power exercised, ostensibly at least, in the name of organising society and holding it together. When I think about “power” in this sense – of a vaguely oppressive force bearing down upon me – it’s easy to ignore its encroachment, or to brush any such nagging feelings aside and decide that my unease is a collateral price for other freedoms. This is lethal to the human person.

I've never agreed more with John Waters than this paragraph. His above view on religion hits the nail on the head.

What's that? He's not talking about religion? Well what else could he possibly be talking about?

PARKING TICKETS?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

This is lethal to the human person.

Yes Jawn, a parking ticket... is LETHAL. To the human person of course, if you're a non-human person, it just aches a bit.

Jawn has truly ripped open a bottomless pit of hyperbole that we shall all fall to our cataclysmic deaths and literally, LITERALLY die from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

He wouldn't find that power "oppressive" if this country was a theocratic ****hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Links234 wrote: »
    Yes Jawn, a parking ticket... is LETHAL. To the human person of course, if you're a non-human person, it just aches a bit.

Jawn has truly ripped open a bottomless pit of hyperbole that we shall all fall to our cataclysmic deaths and literally, LITERALLY die from.

First they came for the Toyota Corrolla's but I didn't speak out because I drive a Volkswagen Passat....

....I genuinely - smart remarks aside - did not think he'd actually write an article on it. He's a parody of himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

He's a parody of himself.
    Meta

Neo_Whoa.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

This would my parody tweet of him from a few days back:

They would not disinherit me of my fecundity, that vice would not hold me down with its secular agenda!Godspeed freedom

Genuinely astonished that he beat me. :O

Give praise to the living martyr.
    https://www.facebook.com/saintjohnwaters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Give praise to the living martyr.
    https://www.facebook.com/saintjohnwaters

Ok, this just blew our thread out of the water(s). I'm loving this fb page, but wow to this Bren Strong person....:D http://storify.com/brenstrong/still-waters-run-deep

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Links234 wrote: »

He's a never-ending source of hyperbole and purple prose. What was that phrase he used a while ago comparing the internet to books? "Encrypted bats hanging upside-down in cyberspace, waiting to be decrypted" - I think it was that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Waters is the Man of the Hour (well, two anyway):

http://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/michael-clifford/michael-clifford-waters-is-the-man-of-the-hour-well-two-242299.html
    THE first move of a totalitarian regime is to lock up the writers and intellectuals. They came for John Waters in the dead of night. Well, they didn’t, but they might as well have.

It was noon, high noon, when he surrendered to the police, after months on the run. A warrant had been issued for his detention, earlier in the year, but, in the grand tradition of a police state, it wasn’t worth the paper it was written on. Waters’ writer’s eye had spotted that the warrant was out of date and defective. Clinging to this legal nicety, as the jackboot drew back for another kick, he went on the run.

Thereafter, the State relentlessly gave chase. Like Michael Collins before him, Waters didn’t allow this pursuit to interfere with his speechifying. He was seen in public, and heard on the airwaves in the weeks and months that followed, but after every event, adoring crowds swallowed him up, determined to protect him from parking attendants and other nefarious agents of the State.

Then, last Tuesday, exhausted and resigned to donning the martyr’s clothes, he gave himself up. A small band of brave supporters came out from their safe houses, and bore witness to the surrender. Fittingly, one of their number, poet Liam Muirthile, stepped forward and handed Waters a book, presumably of verse, as if that alone might fortify him against the hell that awaited.

He stoically accepted his fate as they took him into custody. He was dispatched, under guard, to his very own ‘Robben Island’, a ‘Mandela’ wearing a suit that could have been a hand-me-up from Bono beag. Waters was processed at Wheatfield prison, like a common criminal. He emptied his pockets, handing over the three cents that was all he had to his name. Then, he was thrown into a cell with two other inmates. There was no special treatment for this enemy of the state. Across the world, in Brazil, his fellow detainee, Michael Lynn, managed, last week, to wrangle a prison upgrade, as a result of his university degree. Waters had no such parchment to present. Instead, he was flung into the cauldron of the general prison population.

Later, much later, when it was all over, Waters revealed that he had “bonded” with his two fellow inmates. One of them recognised him from the telly. This inmate told Waters that he was a bit “overdressed” for prison. Once the door slammed shut, he was left to adapt to the mind-numbing tedium of life behind bars. Seconds passed slowly, but mounted into minutes like the turning of seasons. What demons danced around his consciousness in the depths of incarceration?

Did he rewind to the fateful day when he had found a parking ticket affixed to his vehicle in downtown Dun Laoghaire?

Did he, in his darkest hour, regret not just coughing up and paying the damn fine?

Did he despair that he might never again write a song for the Eurovision?

How close did he come to breaking?

Johnny held tough. He did his time with little fuss, but he wouldn’t yield to their entreaties, refusing to accept the prison dosh that was pushed his way. Eventually, with the eyes of the world on Wheatfield, the authorities blinked first. In just under two hours — that’s 7,200 seconds — they threw open the gates. Before he stepped into freedom, they tried, once more, to quench the spirit of resistance. As a peace token, they offered him a bus ticket to anywhere in the country, but he refused, determined to travel by shank’s mare, in the footsteps of Martin Luther King, free at last.

So ended his long minutes of incarceration. Afterwards, he hot-footed to the studio of Newstalk FM, to relate his prison diaries. If he had, like so many others, been brutalised by prison, he hid it well, as George Hook put him through his paces. “It’s a small cell,” he told Hookie. “A very dirty cell. It’s about six foot by 12 foot. There’s a bench at the back of it. It’s like a bus shelter with bars on the front of it. To be in that room, and know that your ability to move outside of a short space is in the hands of another human being, that’s frightening.”

Then, before Waters could get into his stride, Hook dropped a bombshell. He also had done time. About 40 years ago, when the State was shrouded in darkness, he had been banged up. “What were you in for, George?” Waters asked, and suddenly the drivetime show transmogrified into a pow-wow between aging lags about how they’d fought the law, and the law had won.

So, what civil disobedience had Hookie engaged in? Or was he once on the fringes of gangland, en route to a life of crime, before incarceration saved him from himself? “I found it terrifying,” Hook recalled. “I was in for urinating in the street, near Fitzwilliam Square, and I got caught short. I was in my 30s. They left me there for about three hours.” This was riveting radio, a glimpse at the dark side of humanity, where media types usually fear to tread. This was the real deal, Love/Hate without the pretty boys.

Beyond Waters’ immediate orbit, his sacrifice was acknowledged. In the letters pages of newspapers and on radio phone-in shows, it became apparent that he had lit a fuse. One caller to RTÉ’s Liveline laid out for Philip Boucher Hayes how serious the situation over parking had become in Dun Laoghaire. “It’s like a war zone down there,” she said. (The statement immediately gave rise to an image of two hardened fighters in war-torn Syria, looking down from a hilltop at havoc being wreaked in an urban centre, one turning to the other and declaring: “It’s like Dun Laoghaire down there.”) And so ended a week when the spirit of resistance against oppression was given new life. As the loan sharks in suits appeared before an Oireachtas committee, taunting the elected tribunes with their power, out in the battlefield of the Republic a fresh avenue of hope was opening up.

Throughout history, Ireland, in its darkest hours, has looked for a leg-up from selfless patriots. Robert Emmet, in 1798, Pearse, in 1916, Dana, in 1970, Ray Houghton, in 1988, and now John Waters. The ideal of sacrifice endures when all else is lost. In a country that’s gone to pot, we must reserve a pantheon for the freedom fighters who can transcend the mundane obsessions of Joe and Josephine Public. For what use is life, at all, if you’re not free to park where you want of a lazy afternoon, in a town of your choice? An Ireland shackled to parking restrictions will never be free.

So, arise now and join the battle. We must forcefully impress on these parking attendants, with their peaked caps and watery smiles, that they will never grind the Irish people into submission. Otherwise, freedom’s just another word for nowhere left to park.

Take note clampers, or you’ll be next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I'm a little sick in my mouth at Emmet and Pearse mentioned in the same sentence as Dana and Waters. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

The author of the Examiner piece had something very interesting to say about the causes of the Anglo Irish Bank corruption:
    Public morality didn’t, and still doesn’t, appear to have much purchase in this State.

With little pressure to observe proper standards coming from the electorate, how can we expect that public morality is going to be observed in institutions such as banks?

So there you have it, the ordinary people had no morals and therefore this lack of morals caused a company which they had no power to oversee (after Larry Sommers orchestrated a worldwide killing of the Glass-Stegal act and it's international counterparts in the '90's nobody had this power) nor any moral obligation to keep honest to behave in an immoral and illegal manner. Source (with link to original article) here.

I think we've found the Julius Streicher de nos jour, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/media/if-you-re-reading-this-online-stop-1.1525539

John is VERY VERY cross with online peoples today. VERY cross. Shame on all of you.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

lazygal wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/media/if-you-re-reading-this-online-stop-1.1525539

John is VERY VERY cross with online peoples today. VERY cross. Shame on all of you.

Waters just doesn't appreciate how the news media works in the digital age. Before the interweb, the audience of his articles was vastly smaller than what it is now.

This means that the level of angry responses to his articles has grown substantially. The ease of response on the website also means that people that wouldn't waste any time posting a letter would conceivably leave a comment on an article.

A protective layer that existed when it was solely a print medium has substantially reduced, if not vanished entirely, and he is exposed to a lot more voices that are critical of his writings. Sure some may just be windup artists but not all of them are.

There are commenters that do post intelligent and articulate rebuttals to the articles but I guess it's easier to dismiss them all as "a pack of rabid rottweilers straining at their leashes waiting to be let loose at you every week."

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Poor John.

Of course he makes the mistake that a lot of people make when they go online and get burnt - the people responding to your post aren't representative of the audience, merely a subset of it; those who felt the need to respond.

The only difference between the paper version and the online version is not the audience, it's that in paper the author can pretend that nobody in the audience disliked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

I have never commented on a John Waters article online (apart from in this thread) but having read a few comments that have been posted after some of his articles I would concede some of them over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Wah wah I'm not listening

Advertisement