Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lorna Grady

I am not even remotely wishing to have books burned! I am simply saying that if the writer of Faithless said this about the Muslim religion he would need police protection.

"Why does God need worship and demand praise? He created all of life, he created the entire Earth. Now, I could understand that if he had only created Longford he might still feel a little insecure and might need regular patting on the back. But he created the Universe! Yet he still demands we worship him and reiterate not just his greatness but our inferiority. Not only that, if he doesn’t get our praise, if we ever fail in expressing or ritualizing our love for him, he’s going come back in a tantrum, destroy the world and fry your arse for all eternity. I don’t know about you, but I will not bend the knee nor mouth adorations to a spoiled child."

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm confused are you criticizing the book or subtly trying to promote it?

Not even remotely! I simply want to make a comparison - if such rubbish was said about Allah and published here the Muslims would be up in arms.

He's using comedy to attract young impressionable people - and that's what's really wrong!

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Not even remotely! I simply want to make a comparison - if such rubbish was said about Allah and published here the Muslims would be up in arms.

So you're annoyed that Christians have a thicker skin than Muslims? :confused:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

You mentioned the blasphemy law. What do you think of it? Enforceable? Ridiculous?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Folks, this thread is about enduring the waters.

John Waters has a stronger sense of the value of faith. That's why he is being ridiculed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

John Waters has a stronger sense of the value of faith. That's why he is being ridiculed here.

No. It isn't.

He is being ridiculed for holding absolutest views that would be more at home in the Inquisition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

He's using comedy to attract young impressionable people - and that's what's really wrong!

Comedy is a nicer way to do it than empty promises of a wonderland in the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Is it wrong to brainwash young impressionable people with silly ideas? :cool:

I personally find much of the hilarity surrounds the fact that he seems to think of himself as a modern Joyce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

I am not even remotely wishing to have books burned! I am simply saying that if the writer of Faithless said this about the Muslim religion he would need police protection.

"Why does God need worship and demand praise? He created all of life, he created the entire Earth. Now, I could understand that if he had only created Longford he might still feel a little insecure and might need regular patting on the back. But he created the Universe! Yet he still demands we worship him and reiterate not just his greatness but our inferiority. Not only that, if he doesn’t get our praise, if we ever fail in expressing or ritualizing our love for him, he’s going come back in a tantrum, destroy the world and fry your arse for all eternity. I don’t know about you, but I will not bend the knee nor mouth adorations to a spoiled child."

I fail to see the problem here. As much as you might be inclined to say its rubbish, the author does raise a valid point.

Firstly, God is described in the Bible as perfect:

"As for God, his way is perfect:The Lord’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him."
    Psalm 18:30

A being which is perfect, by definition, has no defects. Therefore a perfect being would have no need or use for worship and certainly wouldn't demand it.

However, in both the Old and New Testaments God is depicted as demanding worship:

"Do not forget the covenant I have made with you, and do not worship other gods. Rather, worship the LORD your God; it is he who will deliver you from the hand of all your enemies."
    2 Kings 17:38-39

"
    Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water."
    Revelation 14:7

Furthermore the author makes a point about the anthropomorphism of God present in the Old Testament. As he so nicely points out the Old Testament God has the behaviour of a spoiled child:

"
    You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me"
    Exodus 20:5

"If you hear it said about one of the towns the Lord your God is giving you to live in that troublemakers have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods you have not known), then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. You must destroy it completely, both its people and its livestock. You are to gather all the plunder of the town into the middle of the public square and completely burn the town and all its plunder as a whole burnt offering to the Lord your God. That town is to remain a ruin forever, never to be rebuilt, and none of the condemned things are to be found in your hands."
    Deuteronomy 13:12-17

" But God struck down some of the inhabitants of Beth Shemesh, putting seventy of them to death because they looked into the ark of the Lord."
    1 Samuel 6:19

"The LORD says, "All their wickedness began at Gilgal; there I began to hate them. I will drive them from my land because of their evil actions. I will love them no more because all their leaders are rebels. The people of Israel are stricken. Their roots are dried up; they will bear no more fruit. And if they give birth, I will slaughter their beloved children."
    Hosea 9:15-16

Why would a supposedly supreme being resort to petty human emotions such as hate and jealousy? Why kill someone because they were curious? Why is it necessary for God to wipe out an entire town including innocent animals because some people worshipped other Gods?

You might want to actually read the Bible before decrying someone for raising some valid criticisms albeit in a humorous way. It seems to me that you're more upset at someone pointing out the character flaws of your god than the flaws themselves. That's disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    No. It isn't.

He is being ridiculed for holding absolutest views that would be more at home in the Inquisition.

...and his clumsy use of his copy of "My First Philosophy Thesaurus" when writing on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Not at all.

He's being ridiculed for being an alarmist, hysterical, pompous, overly verbose, misogynistic, clueless, smug moany whingebag. I'll admit it doesn't look all that different from having a strong sense of Catholic faith, but the difference is there nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

As opposed to using the threat of eternal damnation to scare young impressionable people? I'll take comedy any day of the week, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Oooh, that's quite well written. I may have found a christmas present for the Da. Comedy is great therapy for a "Christian" Brothers education. Where can you get this book Lorna? And thanks for the review btw, nice one :p

Obliq wrote: »
    Oooh, that's quite well written. I may have found a christmas present for the Da. Comedy is great therapy for a "Christian" Brothers education. Where can you get this book Lorna? And thanks for the review btw, nice one :p

Wonder if they do a version based in the Wild West? My Ol Fella is very fond of reading Westerns.

Wonder if they do a version based in the Wild West? My Ol Fella is very fond of reading Westerns.

Sounds good to me. I can see a film version with Harrison Ford as the aging and ill-tempered christian god; his fitful insecurities raging against the little folk he made so fondly in his image...and DAMMIT! Not doing AT ALL what he WANTED :mad: ......then along comes the god of Longford (Chris O'Dowd?) and suddenly xtian god doesn't feel so bad anymore when he sees what Longford god has to preside over and still try and hold his head high. Wait now....did I see this one already? Must be bedtime - sounds like one to put me to sleep ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Speaking of Westerns, Jawn is this week declaring his undying political luurve for Lucinda, the heroine of over-65 rural conservative catholics everywhere left-of-the-Shannon. Problem is that her constituency is the most liberal in the country. Oops.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Another poor effort today (well, yesterday ;) )

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/the-horror-and-absurdity-of-an-adoption-that-sounds-as-if-it-came-from-fiction-1.1618269

But serious doubt has been cast on this story about which John seems blissfully unaware, he's happy to just parrot what people of a similar mindset to himself are saying, and get paid for it...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Apparently this has been pulled from the RTE player because of a certain someone taking legal action, you might guess who we're talking about here, but I hope this has a kind of Streisand effect for him :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I wonder if that would be David Quinn of "It's not discrimination if I threaten to shut you down if you say I'm homophobic"" and "Help, Google is censoring me for being homophobic!" fame?

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/04/02/go-iona-that/
    http://www.thejournal.ie/iona-institute-youtube-account-removed-764760-Jan2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Links234 wrote: »
    Apparently this has been pulled from the RTE player because of a certain someone taking legal action, you might guess who we're talking about here, but I hope this has a kind of Streisand effect for him :p

Is he really taking legal action? What the guy said was true, and I'm so glad that someone just called out all of these Iona institute heads on national tv for their, as he says, insistence on spending so much time and energy in stopping people being happy. The Ionas get far too easy a ride on the national airwaves, people need to start putting the boot in.

Video no longer works. What was the jist of it?

Nodin wrote: »

'Iona - just feck off'

Certain newpaper columnists need to get a life and out of people's faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Nodin wrote: »

Clip from the show Brendan O'Connor does with guest Rory O'Neill. Rory o'neill starts off by saying that attitudes change quicker in smaller countries because your more likely to know someone affected by homophobia, racism etc. But that there is still some very prominent homophobes in Ireland, pointing out breda o'brien, john waters and iona in general. O'Connor somehow believes waters is not homophobic and O'Neill points out that homophobia is misunderstood by some people. Its not all insults and scaremongering but trying to deny someone equality and happiness is basically the same

freyners wrote: »
    Clip from the show Brendan O'Connor does with guest Rory O'Neill. Rory o'neill starts off by saying that attitudes change quicker in smaller countries because your more likely to know someone affected by homophobia, racism etc. But that there is still some very prominent homophobes in Ireland, pointing out breda o'brien, john waters and iona in general. O'Connor somehow believes waters is not homophobic and O'Neill points out that homophobia is misunderstood by some people. Its not all insults and scaremongering but trying to deny someone equality and happiness is basically the same

Iona/Quinn has form in threatening legal action. Be surprised if its waters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'll just leave this here.

And await the inevitable censorship because nobody cares about parody any more.

such thick

many brain dilution

very muppet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

much punchable

very arsehole

wow

Advertisement