Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

And incredible ugliness, both physical and mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

For the first time in... well, ever... I really hope JW has an article out tomorrow. Could be hilarious.
    In Waters case it would naturally be unintentional - he's tried to do funny before and it was woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

And sounded like a deranged arsonist, rather than just deranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Love this Tweet:
    John Waters has never really forgiven the gays for his Eurovision failure. Just saying.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Another good article/blog about Waters complaining to RTE.

The BAI, John Waters and regulating away Other voices
    [...]the difficulty here is that John Waters is not just a private citizen. He is a member of the Government-appointed Broadcasting Authority of Ireland. And as part of that appointment he has to accept certain constraints on his behaviour. Firstly, uniquely amongst all citizens, the nine members of the BAI are told to protect one constitutional right above all others.

The Broadcasting Act 2009 sets out the obligations and function of the Authority and its members in Section 25 (1) of the Act. They must ensure

(b) that the democratic values enshrined in the Constitution, especially those relating to rightful liberty of expression, are upheld,
    and
    (c)the provision of open and pluralistic broadcasting services.

This section sets out what are the primary duties of the Authority and each of its members. They place an obligation on all the Authority members to be act to ensure that the right to freedom of expression is “especially” upheld and that broadcasting services are “open and pluralistic”. This is actually their job.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Any man of honesty and integrity would step down from the BAI after such a blatant misuse of power. I eagerly await Waters explaining that the rules don't apply to him because liberal fascist gay agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sarky wrote: »
    Any man of honesty and integrity would step down from the BAI after such a blatant misuse of power. I eagerly await Waters explaining that the rules don't apply to him because liberal fascist gay agenda.

It's the wimmenz fault, can you not see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It's always the wimminz fault. Always.

we're not at the bottom of the rabbit-hole yet it seems (via Tupp_ed on twitter):
    This morning, I enquired of the BAI how a member of the public would go about making a complaint under their Code of Conduct.

Source Tweet
    I received a very gracious and informative reply by return this evening.

Source tweet
    You may have seen I earlier linked to that BAI Code. However the Authority have told me that they had been working on a new version of it...

Source tweet
    And they have now put this new Code of Business Conduct re Authority members and certain staff online this evening.

bai.ie/wordpress/wp....

Source tweet

Interesting that the new code was released when it was.

Someone out there is listening to Sarky (I know, I'm scared too! :P)
    STATEMENT ON THE RESIGNATION OF JOHN WATERS FROM BAI

The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) has, today (23.01.14), confirmed receipt of a notification from the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources, Pat Rabbitte, of the resignation of Mr. John Waters from the Authority. Mr Waters was appointed to the Authority by the Government in September 2009.

Since his appointment, he has served as an Authority member; served a two-year term on the Compliance Committees; and was a serving member of the Contract Awards Committee at the time of his resignation.

Speaking about the resignation of Mr. Waters, the Chairperson of the Authority, Bob Collins said: “John has been a valued member of the Authority and of both statutory committees since the establishment of the BAI in 2009. He brought additional expertise and experience to the Authority through his previous service on the Board of the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland. I would like to take this opportunity to thank him for his service and know I speak for my fellow members when I say that his insights and contributions will be missed.”

-Ends-

From the BAI facebook page

• Advertisement

Holy f*cknuts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

BAI wrote:
    I speak for my fellow members when I say that his insights and contributions will be missed.
    "The employee fulfilled his duties to the very best of his abilities".

*cough*

So instead of Friday being a long ramble on how the rules don't apply because liberal fascist gays, it'll be a long ramble on how noble John was booted out of a job he did soooo well by evil liberal fascist gays. And women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Holy f*cknuts.
    That's what they call him

Was just wondering, will this help or hinder his legal complaint?

I would imagine it was his lawyer who suggested it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Martyrdom awaits

I can hardly wait for tomorrow's column

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

Dave! wrote: »
    I can hardly wait for tomorrow's column

I imagine he'll be running it past his legal team first, so I expect it'll be pretty uneventful.

Doesn't bother me though, as I refuse to read him on principle - his prose makes my head hurt.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Curious, was he getting paid for that position (assuming he was)
    and if he';ll get a payout now he's stepped down?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

My gloat would have increased if I thought a woman might have been the one who suggested he might go, but it looks unlikely, given the make up of the board......ahh well.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/lucinda-s-shimmering-political-moment-has-turned-out-to-be-a-mirage-after-all-1.1665914?page=1

"Lucinda Creighton is a great woman. In a healthy country, she would be embraced as a God-sent force to take us into the heart of the unfolding century."

Riiiiiiiggggghhhtttt........

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/lucinda-s-shimmering-political-moment-has-turned-out-to-be-a-mirage-after-all-1.1665914?page=1

"Lucinda Creighton is a great woman. In a healthy country, she would be embraced as a God-sent force to take us into the heart of the unfolding century."

err how is she a god sent force exactly?

If its because he thinks god created her then all atheists are also a god sent force, because apparently we were all created by a god....Thor presumably

Maybe he meant "spent force"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

He mentioned Bob Dylan and Lucinda in the same article. OK..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I nearly cracked and clicked the link. Be strong, dinner, be strong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I nearly cracked and clicked the link. Be strong, dinner, be strong.
    Good job, I regret it ever since, the article does not actually say anything. Basically he is saying that because things aren't as bad as they were a few months ago, no one will care about Lucinda and this is somehow a shame. What he is carefully working around is the issue is that when things were worse (I haven't noticed a difference but apparently it is there), the only thing about Lucinda that anyone in the majority cared about is the fact that she was a posturing annoyance who got air time for being annoying rather than having any purpose in modern society.

"How I got the job in the BAI", by J Waters.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/when-john-waters-met-eamon-dunphy-1.1554145
    Waters wrote:
    The last time I’d met Eamon Dunphy was last August, when we had been booked on the same TV3 show. He and I have had our ups and downs, but have maintained an entente cordiale now for more than a decade. For several years he’d been telling me that he was writing his life story, which he had said he would call “Wrong About Everything”. On encountering him in TV3, I asked him how the book was going. He said I was in it – the second volume, which doesn’t come out until next year – because of my membership of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI), although he had got it mixed up with the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI).

I was appointed to the broadcasting commission by Dermot Ahern, then minister for communications, in 2002. Ahern, whom I’d met casually on two or three occasions, said I was being appointed because of an article I’d written about a particular decision of the commission.
    Forum members will no doubt recall that Mr Ahern was the politician who oversaw the introduction of the law on blasphemy.

Meanwhile, here's broadsheet.ie on the resignation:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/01/22/waters-panti-and-rte/

"[W]hat enthusiasm might briefly have bubbled for some radical political alternative has now waned."

What was this "radical" alternative? No abortion?! :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ah, is this the unfolding century where the poor and the crippled get f*cked over? :rolleyes:

Advertisement