Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

The jellyfish at RTE apologise for Rory O'Neill correctly describing Waters and Iona crew.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

O'Connor looked like the words were poisoning him!

Ugh.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

A short compilation of quotes supporting Rorys claim regarding homphobia.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

SW wrote: »
    The jellyfish at RTE apologise for Rory O'Neill correctly describing Waters and Iona crew.
    That wasn't an apology -- have a read of it again:
    Now, on the Saturday Night Show two weeks ago, comments were made by a guest suggesting that the journalist and broadcaster John Waters, Breda O'Brien and some members of the Iona Institute are homophobic. These are not the views of RTE and we would like to apoligize for any upset or distress -- long pause -- caused to the individuals so named or identified. It's an important part of democratic debate that people must be able to hold dissenting views on controversial issues.
    No mention of "nope, you're not homophobic", that "so named or identified" phrase is deliciously passive-aggressive and the last sentence still reads to me like a reference to Rory O'Neill, rather than the clowns at the I Own An Institution. And while Brendan could have made a comment about the solicitors' letters that were sent or even better, Waters' departure from the BAI or he still looked like he was chewing a wasp. Nice addendum about "well, what if society collapsed?" too.

I'd mark it down as a scoreless draw. To RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Poor JW, what a fall from grace. I can't help thinking of that cartoon guy who saws through the branch he is sitting on.

Black Panti salute to Rory O'Neill though. Go panti power!

Panti 1 Waters 0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I contributed to a tribute to John Waters last week (note my preferred title, "5 Reasons Why John Waters Is Better Than John Waters", did not make the cut):
    http://www.krank.ie/category/society/john-waters/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Thank you for your mail.

The interview about which a statement was made on The Saturday Night Show last Saturday night is the subject of legal complaints. We regret that for this reason RTÉ is not in a position to respond substantively to your mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

"a statement was made on The Saturday Night Show last Saturday night"

I can't deal with sentences like that so early in the day >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Be-3jgEIEAAs1cJ.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

efb wrote: »
    Thank you for your mail.

The interview about which a statement was made on The Saturday Night Show last Saturday night is the subject of legal complaints. We regret that for this reason RTÉ is not in a position to respond substantively to your mail.

Snap.

That legal thing is a great excuse for running away from responsibility, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Galvasean wrote: »
    I contributed to a tribute to John Waters last week (note my preferred title, "5 Reasons Why John Waters Is Better Than John Waters", did not make the cut):
    http://www.krank.ie/category/society/john-waters/

Ah jaysis! You had to include THAT pic :eek:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Sarky wrote: »
    Snap.

That legal thing is a great excuse for running away from responsibility, isn't it?

The worst may be yet to come ... an out of court settlement and a nice big cheque for certain people to spend on their nasty endeavours .. :confused:

It would be sickening to see any of them being paid off.
    Iona are saying a settlement is on the way from RTE to unspecified "injured parties".
    http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-no-comment-damages-saturday-night-show-1287287-Jan2014/
    It should be noted that no-one can ever point to a quote from The Iona Institute that can be [sic] any stretch be called genuinely abusive or ‘homophobic’”.

Notice the strawman argument thrown in there; inserting the word "abusive" in with "homophobic". The whole point of the O'Neill contribution on the telly was to point out that any kind of passive aggressive discrimination is a subtle form of homophobia; it's not just the classic full-on aggressive behaviours.
    O'Neills stance would almost certainly be vindicated in a court, but it would cost RTE more to go down that road. No doubt they have done the maths, and so has Iona.
    These are the vagaries of our legal system; justice is usually available, but only at a high price. Spurious legal claims are effectively a kind of blackmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

recedite wrote: »
    ...Notice the strawman argument thrown in there; inserting the word "abusive" in with "homophobic". The whole point of the O'Neill contribution on the telly was to point out that any kind of passive aggressive discrimination is a subtle form of homophobia; it's not just the classic full-on aggressive behaviours...

This + one million.

I hate them. I really hate them.

This + one million.

I hate them. I really hate them.

No. They are the ones that peddle hate.

They just make my sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/our-towns-are-dying-while-councils-bleed-motorists-dry-for-revenue-1.1674063

Zzzzzzzzzz. The Watery one on a rant about parking. I particularly like this bit of hyperbole: "the current civil war in Dún Laoghaire, once the jewel in the crown of south Dublin"

lazygal wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/our-towns-are-dying-while-councils-bleed-motorists-dry-for-revenue-1.1674063

Zzzzzzzzzz. The Watery one on a rant about parking. I particularly like this bit of hyperbole: "the current civil war in Dún Laoghaire, once the jewel in the crown of south Dublin"

I am sure it's 'total coincidence' that he was jailed for not paying his parking fines in ...... Dun Laoghaire ...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Piliger wrote: »
    I am sure it's 'total coincidence' that he was jailed for not paying his parking fines in ...... Dun Laoghaire ...... :rolleyes:

Complete and utter co-inky-dinks...it is also a co-inky-dinks that 'used to be the jewel' Dún Laoghaire now has a fairly active and vocal lezgayfeminasty population...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Complete and utter co-inky-dinks...it is also a co-inky-dinks that 'used to be the jewel' Dún Laoghaire now has a fairly active and vocal lezgayfeminasty population...

The gay agenda has a home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

lazygal wrote: »
    The gay agenda has a home!!

Yup. In the UK it's Brighton aka B-right-on. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Bannasidhe wrote: »

:D *proud native of Dún Laoghaire grinning widely*

It was always a tip though. Jewel, me arse. It looked ok-ish for about 5 minutes during the boom when they covered the place in fancy marble seating and wide pavements to attract the wealthy. Has since been returned to the less well-off to which it rightfully belonged. A much more comforting air to the place again these days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

He does have a point about the short sighted thinking driving cc policy regarding parking in towns through out the country. It's not just Dun Leer.
    We do sometimes run the risk of discounting arguments out of hand purely because they come from a mouth that we tend to disagree with. Is that a named fallacy, almost the flipside of ab auctoritate if so.

his argument is still BS though. Free parking is just another tragedy of the commons, if it was free but all the spaces taken up with all-day parkers he'd be complaining too no doubt.

You have to ration out a scarce resource in some way, charging for it and limiting the amount (of time) someone can consume at once is a fair way of doing this.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

There is a simple enough logical solution; introduce disc parking in choked up town centres, preferably extending out from a pedestrianised centre area, but do not extend it beyond a zone where empty parking spaces are frequently available.

Johns original argument is not based on any logic though, it is based on John's annoyance at being given a parking ticket while John was in a state of perceived "grace".
    "Grace" is of course that period of time (or perhaps a temporary state of being) when a sin can be committed without any repercussion. According to this doctrine JW was entitled to expect full forgiveness of his (premeditated) sin.
    But unfortunately for JW, there was a ecumenical divergence of opinion between himself and the council over the length of time a soul may remain in this state of grace. According to the JW's reasoning it is 20 minutes, but the parking authority believes 15 minutes is sufficient, before smiting offenders with a righteous ticket.
    Mr Waters was fined after arriving back at his car 16 minutes after the time had expired.He said the practice in Dun Laoghaire had always been to allow a grace period of 20 minutes for an hour's parking.But the council said: “Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown County Council decided to introduce a grace period to assist the council's customers and business operations in the council's administrative area.
    “Motorists ... are given a grace period in which to purchase and display a valid pay-and-display ticket.”
    It added the period is 15 minutes.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/we-were-right-says-council-in-john-waters-jail-row-29555590.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

He does have a point about the short sighted thinking driving cc policy regarding parking in towns through out the country. It's not just Dun Leer.
    We do sometimes run the risk of discounting arguments out of hand purely because they come from a mouth that we tend to disagree with. Is that a named fallacy, almost the flipside of ab auctoritate if so.
    Ad hominem surely - the dismissal being essentially equivalent to "It's from JW so it's wrong."

I have to agree with him here: forcing sub-urban or isolated shopping centres to charge for their car parks is madness.

I have been driving to and parking in Dunleary for 20 years, several times a week. I have never ever had a problem finding parking. Ever.

The only people who have a problem are the ones who are so lazy and sedentary that they want to park within 20 metres of the shop they want to visit, and too tight to pay a couple of quid for the privilege.

I have never had a problem finding a place up top of Patrick street, or down beside one of the piers or George's Place. And then there is the Shopping Centre car park.

Dun Leer
    Dunleary

It's just too hard to spell, isn't it? What was wrong with Kingstown anyway? :pac:

I fear that in his attitude towards car parking, JW is betraying an ingrained mindset born of his rural roots ;) 'ah sure just throw the car there, will be grand'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

ninja900 wrote: »
    It's just too hard to spell, isn't it? What was wrong with Kingstown anyway? :pac:
    I don't understand why we don't spell it Dun Leary. It's a valid translation of the Irish name into English, it's what the locals call it, and it'd make RTE look like even bigger gob****es when they insist on pronouncing it 'Doon Layragh'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

mikhail wrote: »
    I don't understand why we don't spell it Dun Leary. It's a valid translation of the Irish name into English, it's what the locals call it, and it'd make RTE look like even bigger gob****es when they insist on pronouncing it 'Doon Layragh'.

I dunno....I'm just proud of being able to spell the Irish version. I grew up knowing it, and it's one of the few things I can spell in Irish. Don't take it away from me man!! (I do pronounce it Dun Leary, but I also pronounce Saidbhe as Syve. I put it down to being born here, don't know about you?!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

ninja900 wrote: »
    [Dun Laoighaire]'s just too hard to spell, isn't it? What was wrong with Kingstown anyway? :pac:

It upset the Gaeilgoir Herrenvolk. :pac:

Advertisement