Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

It upset the Gaeilgoir Herrenvolk. :pac:

The weird thing is that Newbridge changed its name to Droichead Nua but no-one seems to have taken any notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

goose2005 wrote: »
    The weird thing is that Newbridge changed its name to Droichead Nua but no-one seems to have taken any notice.

They do when they see Google maps and the way it has been hijacked by the language fascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Obliq wrote: »
    I dunno....I'm just proud of being able to spell the Irish version. I grew up knowing it, and it's one of the few things I can spell in Irish. Don't take it away from me man!! (I do pronounce it Dun Leary, but I also pronounce Saidbhe as Syve. I put it down to being born here, don't know about you?!)

Any one old enough to remember those thin, floppy, singles some music mags used to give away?

One such single was by the Boomtown Rats entitled 'Dún Laoghaire' and consisted of them spelling it out. I still have to sing it to spell it but I reckon that single got me me honour in Inter Cert geography. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Any one old enough to remember those thin, floppy, singles some music mags used to give away?

One such single was by the Boomtown Rats entitled 'Dún Laoghaire' and consisted of them spelling it out. I still have to sing it to spell it but I reckon that single got me me honour in Inter Cert geography. :)

Oh yes. I remember I had a square shaped one that worked till I sat on and doubled it over. I believe it was an Adam Ant single. The single 'Dún Laoghaire' I don't remember but I may have actually been too young to dislike Bob Geldof when that came out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Obliq wrote: »
    Oh yes. I remember I had a square shaped one that worked till I sat on and doubled it over. I believe it was an Adam Ant single. The single 'Dún Laoghaire' I don't remember but I may have actually been too young to dislike Bob Geldof when that came out :p

You weren't missing anything not only as it was ****e but aslo seeing as hailing from those parts you could already spell it but for the rest of us a song consisting of 'd.u.n.l.a.o.gh.air.e dunlaoighaire dunlaoghaire' was gold coming up to d'Inter.

And yes...I did have to sing it to write it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Regarding the nekkid Mr. Waters:
    cannot_be_unseen.jpg

Oh wow.

Solicitors letter.

Much payout.

Very quoted.

Much backlash.

Oh wow.

The story is going international:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/03/panti-noble-oppression_n_4717909.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices

Also, MEP Paul Murphy has brought it up in the EU Parliament.

I think Waters and Iona have woken a sleeping giant!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Paul Murphy in the EU Parliament, naming names. Copied in the other thread too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I expect the European Parliament will be receiving a solicitor's letter from Iona any day now, asking for another €85,000 in compo money, to put towards their forthcoming anti-gay-marriage campaign.

• Advertisement

Stephen Fry has tweeted the youtube URL about a quarter hour ago!

No bether man !!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Piliger wrote: »
    No bether man !!

After Dades, Rob and I, of course. I know you were implying it anyway but it's best to explicitly state it.

Ta,

Jernal wrote: »
    After Dades, Rob and I, of course. I know you were implying it anyway but it's best to explicitly state it.

Ta,
    Indeed !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Grovelling apology accepted. +1 against red-cards for Piliger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Where's Waters today? Off buying a beard comb with his loot???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

efb wrote: »
    Where's Waters today? Off buying a beard comb with his loot???
    Building this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Perhaps even he can't put a positive spin on bullying the state broadcaster into handing over 30 grand because his homophobic feelings were hurt.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Sarky wrote: »
    Perhaps even he can't put a positive spin on bullying the state broadcaster into handing over 30 grand because his homophobic feelings were hurt.
    And abusing his position in the BAI ;)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I just imagine him sitting at home, trying repeatedly to count all the money he got

"15,345... 15,346... 15,347... Liberal agenda... Wait... Damnit! 1... 2... 3..."*

*Yes, I'm working under the assumption he was paid completely in €1 coins

• Advertisement

Problem is that a transaction of money that has about fifty coins or more can legally be refused. Nevermind the actual logistics of obtaining 45,000 and transporting them to chez waters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I would have regained some small measure of almost-respect for RTE had they paid out in coppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Problem is that a transaction of money that has about fifty coins or more can legally be refused. Nevermind the actual logistics of obtaining 45,000 and transporting them to chez waters.

Where's that written?

In the Irish Times article today on this debate, it says "Mr Rabbitte said he is “considering an amendment that would require broadcasters to avoid causing undue offence”."

isn't this a worsening of the situation ? Yet the IT says "Rabbitte says broadcasting rules to be relaxed"

In the Irish Times article today on this debate, it says "Mr Rabbitte said he is “considering an amendment that would require broadcasters to avoid causing undue offence”."

isn't this a worsening of the situation ? Yet the IT says "Rabbitte says broadcasting rules to be relaxed"

The original was just for offence. 'Undue' kind of, vaguely, puts an quality on the level of offence required.

The original was just for offence. 'Undue' kind of, vaguely, puts an quality on the level of offence required.

So leading to ten years of legal fees for the barristers and lawyers while the courts decide what is 'undue' .......... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Haven't seen the IT article but I think that it is to be more specific than the old which used just the word offence. In this case, the idea would be that to steal NTs paraphrasing, "Give as good as you get" or "Take as good as you give". That is, if John Waters makes homophobic comments, he should be prepared for people to call him a homophobe and suck it up regardless of whether it was intentional or not.

Caveat: All from NT/Pat Kenny rather than any knowledge on the subject.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I would have regained some small measure of almost-respect for RTE had they paid out in coppers.

I would have applauded them if they hired dump trucks to drop it on his front door, even if it cost more.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Someone on twitter just pointed out that if Waters had accepted the right of reply he could have read out whatever letter he wanted himself.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Haven't seen the IT article but I think that it is to be more specific than the old which used just the word offence. In this case, the idea would be that to steal NTs paraphrasing, "Give as good as you get" or "Take as good as you give". That is, if John Waters makes homophobic comments, he should be prepared for people to call him a homophobe and suck it up regardless of whether it was intentional or not.

Caveat: All from NT/Pat Kenny rather than any knowledge on the subject.

If that were the outcome than we could be happy ... but somehow I worry that it will just lead to yet another merrygoround with legal threats and payouts continuing.

It's about time broadcasters were completely left out of this stupid law.

Advertisement