Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭AerynSun

robindch wrote: »
    ^^^ Waters going down the pan again?

John. Waters. :) Lame, I know... but it made me chuckle anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Waters has had a good few weeks, he's had all the publicity he craves. Would it be too much to ask that we just ignore him for a while?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

not_a_homophobe.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

293250.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

oscarBravo wrote: »
    not_a_homophobe.jpg

much better than my attempt using Paint..

6Qha4e.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

P_1 wrote: »

Good to see him doing it - someone has long needed to say that about the Watery one in the Irish Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

No sign of Waters in the Irish Times again this week. Is he gone, do we know?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

P_1 wrote: »

He's fast becoming my favourite writer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

vitani wrote: »
    No sign of Waters in the Irish Times again this week. Is he gone, do we know?

He's 'on leave' according to a one-liner at the bottom of the column that seems to have replaced his.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

He's 'on leave' according to a one-liner at the bottom of the column that seems to have replaced his.

Haha, whoops, we broke him. He must be seriously realising how thoroughly he's lost this fight.

He's 'on leave' according to a one-liner [...]
    Aw, we'd have to close this thread then.

Still:

295158.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

robindch wrote: »
    Aw, we'd have to close this thread then.

Still:

295158.gif

Why does that gif remind me of Fr. Ted doing his Hitler impression?

You missed the best bit: the column that has replaced his is Olivia O'Leary talking about how she'll be actively campaigning for a Yes vote in the marriage equality referendum.

How awesome is that? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You missed the best bit: the column that has replaced his is Olivia O'Leary talking about how she'll be actively campaigning for a Yes vote in the marriage equality referendum.

How awesome is that? :D

The Lord working in mysterious ways indeed. Oh! The mysteriousess of reality!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

More like IT opportunism in promoting this knockabout hype in order to increase sales.

I'll take my awesomeness cheap and tawdry, thanks. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Journalist John Waters has taken extended leave from the Irish Times following the fallout from a defamation case he has settled with RTE.

Mr Waters took the decision following the backlash he received over his legal action against the national broadcaster for comments made by Rory O'Neill on The Saturday Night Show last month.
    His weekly Friday column has not appeared in the newspaper since January 31. It is not known if or when Mr Waters will return.

The columnist took the decision less than two weeks after a letter was sent on his behalf to fellow Irish Times columnist Una Mullally.
    As a result of the letter, Ms Mullally's column was edited to omit a reference to Mr Waters.
    The article, which appeared in the newspaper under the headline 'Watchdog needed ahead of LGBT rights debate', was changed in the online version on January 20 and the web headline now reads: 'Homophobia watchdog needed before marriage equality referendum.'

Mr Waters is one of the country's highest-paid columnists and also writes for the Mail on Sunday but his column did not appear last week.
    Neither Mr Waters nor the Irish Times were available for comment at the time of going to print."
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pantigate-row-rumbles-on-as-journalist-takes-extended-leave-30033801.html

(my bold and underline, to emphasise important parts, items of sheer horror)

The rest of the article is Breda O'Brien whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I really hope they are starting to rue the day they sent those solicitors letters. This row is totally of their own making. I wonder if anyone would.be talking about these homophobes had they said nothing? Great to see well paid bigots getting a comeuppance for once. I wonder if and when the Watery one will get over his hurt feelings? It'll be a whiny rant of epic proportions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

So it sounds like he's been sending solicitors letters to his own colleagues. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

lazygal wrote: »
    I really hope they are starting to rue the day they sent those solicitors letters. This row is totally of their own making. I wonder if anyone would.be talking about these homophobes had they said nothing? Great to see well paid bigots getting a comeuppance for once. I wonder if and when the Watery one will get over his hurt feelings? It'll be a whiny rant of epic proportions.

Hoist on their own petards, indeed. I'll say it again, I cannot fathom what they must have been thinking to get into all this. Still, hope they ignore the first rule of holes, and keep digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

pauldla wrote: »
    Hoist on their own petards, indeed. I'll say it again, I cannot fathom what they must have been thinking to get into all this. Still, hope they ignore the first rule of holes, and keep digging.
    The thing is, they clearly beleived that people would be on their side. I think there might be some delusion going on here as well.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    [...] clearly beleived that people would be on their side.
    So did Yanukovich and his mates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was wondering if he had gone off to be appointed as one of Pope Frank's 19 new cardinals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I was wondering if he had gone off to be appointed as one of Pope Frank's 19 new cardinals...

I believe he is holding out the deal was sainthood or nothing.

bumper234 wrote: »
    I believe he is holding out the deal was sainthood or nothing.
    Would make sense if sainthood comes with free parking in Dun Laoghaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Shame he didn't apply for martyrdom.

Does anyone know what foul and scurrilous words Ms Mullally used to so upset this Great Man Of Our Times?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Nodin wrote: »
    Shame he didn't apply for martyrdom.

Does anyone know what foul and scurrilous words Ms Mullally used to so upset this Great Man Of Our Times?

prob just complaining she didn't use enough adjectives and was pissed she clearly hadn't used the thesaurus he gave to her

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/02/24/john-waters-relocating-to-uganda/
    RISH columnist John Waters announced today that he is relocating to Uganda and will cease his Irish journalistic career indefinitely.

The 58-and-a-half-year-old made the comments while queuing at a departures desk in Dublin airport this evening.

Mr. Waters’ departure comes just weeks after a major controversy surrounding homophobic claims made by Irish drag queen Panti on RTE’S The Saturday Night Show. Since then the Irish Times journalist has come under fire for receiving a substantial compensation claim from the state broadcaster...............................

Advertisement