Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

efb wrote: »

"But what is it that outrages him the most?
    "Pakistan," he responds. "

No wonder he has a dodgy ticker. Between waving Tulwars and watchin the cricket he must be in a heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Nodin wrote: »
    watchin the cricket

attachment.jpg

:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ Yer man seems to have no problem with foreign beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

robindch wrote: »
    ^^^ Yer man seems to have no problem with foreign beers.

Depends on where he is starting from really? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

efb wrote: »

Ha, this guy is enormously entertaining!*

Imagine if John tried his hand at cardboard-cut-out activism, with swords......

*as a cartoon villain like.... I expect he's seriously disturbing to his own country people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

And on the 119th day, this thread rose again! :pac:

Anyways, I just had a quick peek at today's Indo and The Litigious One seems to have a column about how it's actually unmerciful to change the RCC's teaching on divorce. Go figure. :rolleyes:

And on the 119th day, this thread rose again! :pac:

Anyways, I just had a quick peek at today's Indo and The Litigious One seems to have a column about how it's actually unmerciful to change the RCC's teaching on divorce. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Truly, God has punished thee by distorting thy sight. Tis the Holy Quinn who has written this.
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/changing-the-churchs-teaching-on-divorce-would-be-anything-but-merciful-31614189.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nodin wrote: »

It's amazing how Quinn can repeatedly point out why things should change and then say they shouldn't change and opposition to change should be strengthened. He's like a walking self-defeating argument.

He starts off the article saying
    "The purpose of the Synod is to discuss the challenges facing the family in all the parts of the world the Church finds itself in and to work out the best way to help families meet those challenges."
    and
    "In the past, traditional morality was very strictly imposed. A married couple had to stay together no matter how miserable they were."

and basically ends the article with "married couples should stay together forever and everything else outside of that is wrong, as it always has been and should never change"

Penn wrote: »
    It's amazing how Quinn can repeatedly point out why things should change and then say they shouldn't change and opposition to change should be strengthened. He's like a walking self-defeating argument.

"The purpose of the Synod is to discuss the challenges facing the family in all the parts of the world the Church finds itself in and to work out the best way to help families meet those challenges."
    and
    "In the past, traditional morality was very strictly imposed. A married couple had to stay together no matter how miserable they were."

and basically ends the article with "married couples should stay together forever and everything else outside of that is wrong, as it always has been and should never change"

You can train people up to a good level of eejitery, but the great gob****es of our time are born, not made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

and

Jaysus, what a warped mind. I really pity his wife and children that they are indoctrinated in his miserable ideology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Does anyone else think he sounds like some mafioso when he keeps saying "The family"?

Respect me.. respect the family. - Don Quinn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Jaysus, what a warped mind. I really pity his wife and children that they are indoctrinated in his miserable ideology.

I suspect his wife attempted bolting once, maybe a good few years ago when it wasn't as accepted in our little isle. He is just over the moon he had that claptrap to brainwash her with before the idea stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

and

The Holy Quinn is achieving a couple of things here. He points out;

1. That the church is no longer imposing the misery. OK it was society and not the church, which introduced divorce, single parents allowances, child benefits etc.. but his tiny argument still stands. The misery is no longer being felt.

2. That the church was right all along; it only wanted to encourage love and commitment. If civil society takes care of those who fall through the cracks, there is no need for the church to change. Those who remain in full communion with the church (like himself) are therefore entitled to feel smug.

3. That the church is democratic and responsive to the opinions of its membership. OK, this is more of a protestant thing. The anglicans have always had a synod every year, with real executive power. But in modern society every religion finds itself obliged to at least give out the "vibe" that it is a democratic church. And this illusion should be publicised as much as possible. From wiki;
    On 15 September 1965, as the Second Vatican Council (1962–1965) was drawing to a close, Pope Paul VI set up the Synod of Bishops, convinced that the Pope needed "to make ever greater use of the bishops' assistance in providing for the good of the universal Church" and to enjoy "the consolation of their presence, the help of their wisdom and experience, the support of their counsel, and the voice of their authority".
    The Synod of the Bishops is not a form of collegial governance of the Church, but of collaborating with the primatial function of the Pope: it discusses topics proposed to it and makes recommendations, but does not settle questions or issue decrees, unless the Pope grants it deliberative power in certain cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

http://www.ionainstitute.ie/john-waters-on-ireland-and-the-end-of-debate/

John's been hanging out at packed meetings. I guess the tiny function room can be packed with a very low number of people, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

What a load of nonsense. There was endless debate up and down the country about the gay marriage referendum.

Things have changed and public opinion is now in favour of treating gays as if they were regular people (joke). People now find his expressed opinion repugnant but that's not the same as saying that he can't express his opinion.

The debate is over bacause the referendum is over. He speaks to the country through a nationwide publication and still decries his lack of freedom of speech.

P1ss, Boiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

There was endless debate up and down the country about the gay marriage referendum.

I'll let you in on a little secret. For Waters, Quinn and all the rest of the Iona cronies (Ionies? Yeah, that'll do, Ionies it is.) when they say "debate" they don't really mean it in the traditional sense, where people might debate something and then come to a conclusion, they use debate or rather the pretense of it to hinder arriving at a conclusion. There would never be enough "debate" of the kind Waters wishes for to satisfy him, or any of the other Ionies, because the goal is to give the impression that an actual debate is still happening, hence why they are so legal slap-happy with the lawsuits and the BAI complaints that their side isn't given equal airtime, it's smoke and mirrors to present things in a certain way.

It's much like where creationists are constantly calling for prominent scientists to debate them, the goal is not to convince the other side, but to present an illusion that there's two equal sides to the matter and that there is no consensus. Climate change deniers offer a masterclass in this, look how often the issue is framed. where in reality science is pretty unified on the issue of climate change, but when it's presented on TV as a debate and the audience gets the impression of it being a 1:1 argument, and are often misled greatly. That's why the Ionies are so adamant their side is presented in media and give equal airtime, to give the impression of an even 50/50 split.

In the real sense of the word, we've had the debate about marriage equality and come to a conclusion, as you do. What Waters wanted was to prolong it for as long as possible by tying it up in the pretense of debate, and he is left sitting there like Monty Python's Black Knight going "Come on, debate me! You cowards, are you afraid of a little debate?! I see, scared your arguments won't hold up! DEBATE ME!" refusing to believe that it's long been over.

81102-Monty-Python-Holy-Grail-black-VfJl.gif

Links234 wrote: »
    I'll let you in on a little secret. For Waters, Quinn and all the rest of the Iona cronies (Ionies? Yeah, that'll do, Ionies it is.)
    To me, they'll always be Ionanists :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Heavens, she is making hard work of her analogies and logic. I wonder if she really cannot see the non-sequiturs in her own argument, or if she is just hoping no-one will notice?

Please let nobody discuss Sexual Education along her line of thinking.

Please.

• Advertisement

The Phoenix reckons that Dear John has won "another lucrative libel action":

https://twitter.com/thephoenixmag/status/839868633996275712/photo/1

A quick google doesn't return anything though - has anybody seen anything regarding this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Given the popular, if perhaps limited, understanding of the Black and Tans, you'd wonder how somebody could ever say "Bring back the Black and Tans" and expect to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

If RTE had any balls they sue him for calling them corrupt. The least they could do is stop having the Iona lunatics on so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    Given the popular, if perhaps limited, understanding of the Black and Tans, you'd wonder how somebody could ever say "Bring back the Black and Tans" and expect to be taken seriously.
    He actually said he'd prefer them. Its an Irish godwin, ie it avoids the accepted penalty associated with invoking Hitler....... oops I said it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Having seen the videos, I have to say, I previously thought he was just a cretinous, unfeeling, immoral jerk with no sense of decency.
    After seeing those videos, I actually feel sorry for him, he is clearly unwell, it is borderline criminal that his delusions are entertained and promoted by some in the media. If he had been diagnosed with problems earlier, this thread and others like it would never have been allowed, as it is clearly unfair to make fun of someone without the mental wherewithal to understand what is going on, let alone the competency to defend themselves it can only make his illness worse. Hopefully he will get the help he needs and the help that everyone is entitled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Just in case you missed some of his greatest hits.

He's completely right about the paedophile/hebephile distinction. Most of the Catholic priests who committed acts of sexual assault were hebephiles. That destination is absolutely meaningless to everyone except John, who has an axe to grind with gays.

I couldn't give a snot if 90% of the priests who used their position of trust to commit sexual abuse were peadophiles or hebephiles. I couldn't care what the sexuality of the priests when the Catholic church was doing its best to shield them from justice.

Those particular gays/hebephile priests can rot in prison along with the Catholic hierarchy who protected them.

In the strictest and least meaningful way possible, he's right. 10/10 for pedantry, 0/10 for getting to the important point. Great journalism Johnny Boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

https://www.joe.ie/news/tuam-irish-journalist-john-waters-605900

He hasn't gone away you know. But he has gone out foreign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

lazygal wrote: »
    https://www.joe.ie/news/tuam-irish-journalist-john-waters-605900

Dirty shite, tbh. He's gone beyond the pale with that one.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    Seems like the staff at the organization hosting the event can be contacted via phone and email at the addresses listed on this page:

http://ethicscenter.nd.edu/people/staff/

Waters is speaking tomorrow afternoon and is being livestreamed here:

http://ethicscenter.nd.edu/programs/fall-conference/streamfc/

Advertisement