Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,481 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Thread on last weekend's "two hour Irexiter circle jerk" ;) here :

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/106069722

If i wanted to see nonsense like that i'd go to the zoo and watch the monkeys flinging their own ****e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Thread on last weekend's "two hour Irexiter circle jerk" ;) here :
    Seems that Waters and Farage chose to use Horslips music and images without first asking them. The Horslips are not amused.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/horslips-not-amused-by-use-of-dearg-doom-at-irexit-conference-1.3382703
    https://www.facebook.com/horslips/posts/10157252180580031
    Horslips wrote:
    Some of you may have spotted that the saddos in the Eirexit conference had the feckin' temerity to use Dearg Doom as a soundtrack and to show the image of the album cover on the big screen.

Needless to say, they didn't ask us.

If they had, we'd have pointed out that we wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire -which they're unlikely to be, anytime soon.

Five hundred damp, self regarding eejits being patronised by the Crazy Frog lookalike Nigel Farage (http://img2-ak.lst.fm/i/u/arO/e0ec086efa724b9697f80535ad413f72 isn't going to set the heather blazing in the near future.

Horslips stood for a hopeful, outward looking, inclusive vision of Ireland with plenty of drink and a Blue Range Rover. This lot stand for a diminished, fearful, xenophobic state. Little Irelanders.

Checking out whether we can do them for copyright infringement. We'll keep you posted.

440943.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Found this stashed away on the hard drive
    QfAPWag.jpg

Not a homophobe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Nice riposte, from that same facebook link.
    Irexit Event organisers respond to Horslips rant.
    6th Feb 2018

Responding to an online Facebook statement from Horslips band (remember them) on the Irexit : Freedom to Prosper event on Saturday in the RDS, Dublin

Spokesman for the Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy Group who organised the event,Derryman Hermann Kelly said:

Like most glam rock bands, Horslips music is great, and their views on politics are crap. I met the band in Drogheda about 12 years ago, as a friend of mine was organising an exhibition of their memorabilia.
    They should be damn thankful we played their music, few other people listen to it now.
    The 600 Irexit supporters and young people turned up because they believe in a self-governing Republic where the Irish people make their own laws rather than having them imposed by unelected Brussels bureaucrats.
    Campaigning for an Irish state open to world trade, making its own laws, controlling its own justice system, securing its borders for the good of the people, taking back control of the wealth of its fisheries and working in the interests of its people, is not right wing or left wing, its simply striking again for our freedom and democracy.
    Horslips political views are as out of touch as their 1970’s flop hairstyles. Are they really in favour of an expansionist, militarising single EU state where Irish interests are brushed aside in favour of Germany’s political will and global corporations? Are the band really celebrating that the EU lumbered every person in Ireland with 9000 euro Franco-German bank debt? I doubt it!
    So get your act together, stand up for the Irish Republic, its people, its parliament and its culture, and stop acting as a warm-up act for a single EU Super-state, which dictates the majority of our laws and bleeds us dry with the increasing contributions we have to fork out for. Start being proud Irishmen rather than European Unionists. Ireland should be a nation once again, not just an EU province."

Ends

Speaking at "Irexit: Freedom to Prosper" event at the RDS on Saturday were columnists John Waters and Cormac Lucey, academics Anthony Coughlan and Dr Karen Devine, as well as Clr James Charity and MEP Nigel Farage.

Hermann Kelly
    EFDD Group in the European Parliament
    Director of Communications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

recedite wrote: »
    6th Feb 2018

Rip the sh!t out of them but steal their music.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

recedite wrote: »

It's instructive that you describe that as a "nice riposte", and the Horslips statement as a "rant".

The EFDD statement is instructive too. The "securing its borders" dog whistle is a bit transparent, but I guess if they came right out and said "keeping the darkies out" they'd lose whatever shreds of respectability they're currently wrapping themselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Yer man Hermann needs to clarify his position. Which 70s glam rock bands does he see as being politically correct?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The "securing its borders" dog whistle is a bit transparent, but I guess if they came right out and said "keeping the darkies out" they'd lose whatever shreds of respectability they're currently wrapping themselves in.
    #45 won the electoral college vote by, amongst much other incendiary nonsense, claiming that he'd keep darkies out.

I can't imagine that, under similar circumstances, a disenchanted, uneducated and unenlightened Irish population would respond all that differently.

Fun to see the "open to world trade" nonsense show up here - as though there were some way in which foreigners could be persuaded to hand over their money, but only from a great distance.

robindch wrote: »
    Fun to see the "open to world trade" nonsense show up here - as though there were some way in which foreigners could be persuaded to hand over their money, but only from a great distance.
    Japan been doing it for years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think John is fantastic, honestly, I do.
    I'd like to see him do more debates and honestly, I think he's the best candidate for the no side to put forward for any further debates.
    He's a credit to them

People are so mean making fun of him! Leave John alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I listened to the whole thing, its amazing how mad he gets so fast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My 4 year old holds his sh1t together in a more reasoned fashion. I still cannot even figure out what he got angry about other than it is very hard to listen to Dunphy for more than a few minutes.

For anybody with a near-death-wish, the full discussion is here:

http://www.thejournal.ie/john-waters-eamon-dunphy-4018829-May2018/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's gas how dunphy sounds so plaintive.

it's gas how dunphy sounds so plaintive.

"we're good friends"

Dunphy hardly smacks of non bias, basically we got Una because we have to. John had someone who was asking soft questions, in a very non confrontational way. Dunphy was on his side and he still couldn't handle the fact that he had to push him a little, it was awful. Part of me thinks it was a bad interview for the no side, the other part of me thinks, there are people around my parents who will listen to this and think, fair play to him.

I thought the morning after pill and defining when he thought life began was a fair question.
    CramCycle is online now Report Post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

John Waters shies away from fair fights. In his rage, he even outs himself - "You told me yesterday that you wanted to support...you wanted to talk about..."

Dunphy had said he was a "No" voter, so Waters was expecting an easy ride. He was expecting a 2-on-1 discussion against Úna Mullally. When it became obvious that Dunphy was going to ask a difficult question, Waters gets annoyed and runs away.

We know that he only gives speeches to braying crowds, writes opinion pieces that will go unquestioned and only attacks easy targets. If there's a chance he might have to defend himself, he runs away.

I'd love to see more of him in debates, I really would. He's just terrible at it.

*cackle

seamus wrote: »
    We know that he only gives speeches to braying crowds, writes opinion pieces that will go unquestioned and only attacks easy targets. If there's a chance he might have to defend himself, he runs away.
    Let it never be said that John is interested only in playing to the crowd. Recall that in 2011, John drove his car to Dun Laoghaire to buy a sandwich in Marks and Spencer. Unfortunately, he returned to his car "one minute" late and - on principle - rather than pay the resulting fine, chose to go prison for around 120 minutes in 2013.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/john-waters-briefly-jailed-over-non-payment-of-parking-fine-1.1514807
    http://www.thejournal.ie/john-waters-arrest-prison-1067238-Sep2013/
    I believe there is a fundamental issue here about the right of people to inhabit and enjoy their public spaces. And the parking regime in Dun Laoghaire is absolutely crucifying. [...] Is it any wonder our towns are dying?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Let it never be said that John is interested only in playing to the crowd. Recall that in 2011, John drove his car to Dun Laoghaire to buy a sandwich in Marks and Spencer. Unfortunately, he returned to his car "one minute" late and - on principle - rather than pay the resulting fine, chose to go prison for around 120 minutes in 2013.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/john-waters-briefly-jailed-over-non-payment-of-parking-fine-1.1514807
    http://www.thejournal.ie/john-waters-arrest-prison-1067238-Sep2013/

Why am I thinking of Rorschach from "Watchmen" right now? :o

• Advertisement

Recall that in 2011, John drove his car to Dun Laoghaire to buy a sandwich in Marks and Spencer. Unfortunately....
    I saw him walking along the main street in Dun Laoghaire about a month ago, presumably going to buy his sandwich.
    Which just goes to show that even The Hairy One occasionally compromises his principles in order to conform with the petty requirements of mere mortals around him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

seamus wrote: »
    In his rage, he even outs himself - "You told me yesterday that you wanted to support...you wanted to talk about..."

Dunphy had said he was a "No" voter, so Waters was expecting an easy ride.

That was exactly the but that stood out to me. He was expecting an easy ride and was deeply upset that he didn’t get it. It wasn’t even a hostile interview. It was pretty fair. It just wasn’t a complete walkover.

It was a pretty easy ride as far as any interviewer I have heard so far. He literally lost his sh1t over a question that any half passed canvasser would have had an answer too.

The only other explanation, other than his complete idiocy, is that he planned a walk out all along, and just went for it regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Not a happy camper...

"On Friday, the Irish people climbed Calvary backwards, in the name of progress".

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2018/05/ireland-an-obituary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Well the first thing John needs to do is stop torturing those poor metaphors.

At around the 29 minute mark, Waters informs us that Leo Varadkar is only taoiseach because he is gay.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6F4bUkWx2U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,481 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The song he wrote for eurovision has been mentioned on the Atheist Ireland FB page. All together now:

They might scare the blackbird‬
    ‪But they cannot stop him sing‬
    ‪They may steal the honey‬
    ‪But they'll never steal the sting‬
    ‪They may crush the flowers‬
    ‪And trample every living thing‬
    ‪But they can't stop the spring‬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Odhinn wrote: »
    At around the 29 minute mark, Waters informs us that he is gay.

Man in selective quoting shocker! :p

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Odhinn wrote: »
    At around the 29 minute mark, Waters informs us that Leo Varadkar is only taoiseach because he is gay.
    Even by Waters' lamentable standards, that's an especially vile string of wayward slurs and insults. Can people like him even hear themselves think above the hatred?

• Advertisement

Hoagy wrote: »
    Mr Waters sense of irony seems to have deserted him temporarily, though since he seems to believe that the dead children of Tuam and elsewhere were just a media concoction, perhaps this desertion is understandable:
    Today, Ireland dances on the graves of little children. It is a country where freedom means the right to do just about anything you please, without risk of consequences.

Advertisement