Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Great news for Waters if the Blasphemy referendum goes ahead. He’ll get to be relevant again AND he’ll get to be on the losing side again which will play great to the poor oppressed catholics.

He’ll get the chance to go on 10 radio shows a day to say he’s being silenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Great news for Waters if the Blasphemy referendum goes ahead. He’ll get to be relevant again AND he’ll get to be on the losing side again which will play great to the poor oppressed catholics.

He'll get to call Eamon Dunphy a "fcuking b0llox" again! :pac:

Pherekydes wrote: »

He'll get to call Eamon Dunphy a "fcuking b0llox" again! :pac:

No need to wait for a special occasion for that!

Edit to be fair I don’t have a problem with Dunphy. But that Waters interview was a classic moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Odhinn wrote: »

i wonder if he will be eliminated on the first or second count?

• Advertisement

i wonder if he will be eliminated on the first or second count?

As long as he gets to claim discrimination and persecution, he'll be happy.

Can’t fault him for putting himself out there and actually standing up for what he believes in. I just feel he’s first and foremost, a contrarian. If abortion was strictly banned, he’d be campaigning for it. If the Catholic Church was popular, he’d be an outspoken anti-catholic

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I just feel he’s first and foremost, a contrarian. If abortion was strictly banned, he’d be campaigning for it.

Eh it was very strictly banned until 2018, never heard him campaining for it. I mean, if you're dying but not dying "enough", how more strict could it be?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Eh it was very strictly banned until 2018, never heard him campaining for it. I mean, if you're dying but not dying "enough", how more strict could it be?

Public sentiment was shifting in favour of it. If the law and the people were agin' it, he'd be for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Waters eliminated on the first count with a dismal total of 925 votes. Fun to note that, according to TheJournal anyway, not one of Waters' second preferences went to Ossian Smyth, the Green Party candidate.

https://www.thejournal.ie/election-2020/constituency/63/

Nutjob Gemma O'Doherty earned 1,252 first preferences and looks set to be eliminated shortly, if she hasn't already been eliminated.

https://www.thejournal.ie/election-2020/constituency/56/

The SF results notwithstanding, especially the re-election of convicted terrorist Dessie Ellis, the pisspoor performance of the hard right is certainly worth a grin this evening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there is a video on the RTE site showing dessie ellis and his supporters singing 'come out ye black and tans' at the count centre.

stay classy, guys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Both Waters and Gemma done far better than I expected to be honest. Glad to hear Peter Casey has also exited. While not the right forum to ask, are SF right or left? it is really hard to tell, on balance I'd view them as Centers but only because they have views that are so far left and far right at the same time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

casey hasn't been eliminated yet in donegal, though he's running 11th out of 13.
    and behind the green candidate, which is a poor showing in donegal.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Both Waters and Gemma done far better than I expected to be honest. [...] Glad to hear Peter Casey has also exited.
    O'Doherty received just under 2% of first-preferences while Waters and Casey received just under 1.5% of first preferences. Given their relatively high profiles, and their strong anti-immigrant stance - rhetoric which has won power easily in other countries - I'd have said that was a good result indeed.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    [...] are SF right or left? it is really hard to tell [...]
    They're more populist than traditional left or right - their policies tend to mid-left to far-left economically - they promise to lower taxes, raise spending and reduce borrowing all at the same time. While their law and order policy is mid-right - a vague promise to increase number of Gardai and while "cracking down on crime" - can't see that one playing out well with the SF grass roots.

the irish freedom party candidate in dublin bay south has been beaten by the 'spoiled votes' candidate, whoever he or she is.

the irish freedom party candidate in dublin bay south has been beaten by the 'spoiled votes' candidate, whoever he or she is.

In fairness Spolied Votes ran a very strong campaign that focused on the issues that matter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

In fairness Spolied Votes ran a very strong campaign that focused on the issues that matter.

The Free Beer party could have won by a landslide if they'd just put enough candidates forward.

Poes law in action
    "Ireland under SF"

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1226822304220487685

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Odhinn wrote: »
    Poes law in action
    "Ireland under SF"

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1226822304220487685

Soooo... we each get an amazing couture gown and an oscars invite?

Why the hell didn't they put that in the manifesto?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

B0jangles wrote: »

That does seem as attainable as some of their manifesto. So wouldn't be that outlandish when you think about it.

False unfortunately, as that rumor seems to have started when somebody saw figures to that effect which they thought were final, but weren't.

The IFP candidate in Dublin Bay South was Ben Scallen and he receive 245 first preferences and was eliminated after the third count, by which time his tally had risen to 255 votes:

https://www.thejournal.ie/election-2020/constituency/54/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

B0jangles wrote: »

FFS!

Wonder if I could get away with pretending I voted for them...I did #TransferLeft so I'd settle for a Yakamoto tux and a BAFTAs invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

robindch wrote: »
    False unfortunately, as that rumor seems to have started when somebody saw figures to that effect which they thought were final, but weren't.

The IFP candidate in Dublin Bay South was Ben Scallen and he receive 245 first preferences and was eliminated after the third count, by which time his tally had risen to 255 votes:

https://www.thejournal.ie/election-2020/constituency/54/
    And how many spoiled votes were there?

Renowned virologist, physicist and epidemiologist John Waters - blessedly clothed - airs an opinion on covid:

https://twitter.com/markohalloran/status/1246934520596779008

What is it about 5G conspiracy theories that seems to appeal to people? John would say anything to seem relevant but even he must be a bit ashamed of stooping this low.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What is it about 5G conspiracy theories that seems to appeal to people? John would say anything to seem relevant but even he must be a bit ashamed of stooping this low.

He probably thinks of himself as Ireland's lone intellectual giant.

is that a concept he is familiar with?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    He probably thinks of himself as Ireland's lone intellectual giant.

Certainly he's a lone giant, just of what is the question.

given the spread of coronavirus cases, the 5G rollout must be *way* more advanced than i thought.

is that a concept he is familiar with?

I'd say he certainly used to be familiar with it. But as his relevance faded began to stoop lower and lower to grasp the smallest bit of fame.

If he ever regains his sense of shame then he’s in for a land when he rewatches this.

• Advertisement

In a couple of sentences, what is the 5G conspiracy?

What’s it about and who’s behind it?

Advertisement