Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

In a couple of sentences, what is the 5G conspiracy?
    Basically, 5G is said to cause all kinds of illnesses, or it's a New World Order plot to control the world, or it's Bill Gates doing population control, causes autism, anti-vaccine related, Wuhan virus research center, the virus research center near Tblisi, bee-death, coronavirus, cancer, George Soros no doubt together with a bunch of other current PCT's - it's a bit of a pick and mix, whatever you're having yourself, sir, really. These things don't need to make sense, and this one doesn't.

Media outlets controlled by the Kremlin (Russia Today, Sputnik and others) have pushed these conspiracies - largely it seems in order to sow discord within the US and Europe, and damage our economies by slowing the rollout, and the consequent economic benefits, of a fast, low-latency, over-the-air network. POTUS' disdain for Huawei, the world's largest supplier of 5G-gear, is generally in line with Kremlin-controlled messaging regarding 5G rollout in the West (though not in Russia, where the media tend to be supportive of 5G to domestic audiences). Fox News has unsurprisingly cast doubt on 5G's safety too.

https://monitoring.bbc.co.uk/product/c2015h7e
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/apr/06/at-least-20-uk-phone-masts-vandalised-over-false-5g-coronavirus-claims
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/marc-siegel-tucker-carlsons-5g-apocalypse-health-effects-theory-from-russia-undermined-by-fox-news-doctor

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is the 5G conspiracy not the same as the 4G conspiracy? Just a bit newer, I imagine it was once the 3G conspiracy and one day it will be replaced by the 6G conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

yeah but in best Spïnal Tap fashion, it is one louder...

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭Odhinn

It's the lizard people, I reckon

YouTube has banned all conspiracy theory videos falsely linking coronavirus symptoms to 5G networks.
    The Google-owned service will now delete videos violating the policy. It had previously limited itself to reducing the frequency it recommended them in its Up Next section.

And when asked for his reaction to reports of 5G masts being set on fire in England and Northern Ireland, he responded: "If 5G continues and reaches where they want to take it, human life as we know it is over... so people have to make a decision."
    Several users subsequently called for further attacks on 5G towers in the comments that appeared alongside the feed.

Mr Icke also falsely claimed that a coronavirus vaccine, when one is developed, will include "nanotechnology microchips" that would allow humans to be controlled. He added that Bill Gates - who is helping fund Covid-19 vaccine research - should be jailed. His views went unchallenged for much of the two-and-a-half-hour show.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52198946

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,481 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Odhinn wrote: »
    It's the lizard people, I reckon

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52198946

Icke looks awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Icke looks awful.

There's a podcast called Anything Goes which talks to all kinds of people and they interviewed Icke. I couldn't get over just how boring he was (different interview but Tommy Robinson was also very boring). It was just gibberish. The interviewer was good and let him go on and on - and he did go on and on. It came across as him just enjoying talking and having people listen. And I think our man Waters is similar. He just wants to talk and be heard.

I think they would say any old thing to be the centre of attention.

Why are people attacking 5G towers in the UK?

A somewhat long-winded way of saying "Because people are stupid"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

In a couple of sentences, what is the 5G conspiracy?

What’s it about and who’s behind it?

5G works on a frequency higher than hitherto used frequencies including radio TV and mobile broadband which is why it works faster than lower frequencies because that's just a physics fact.

The concern is that higher frequencies are damaging to the human body in the same sorta way that more intense sunlight is damaging to the human body which it is. The Huawei issue has nothing whatsoever to do with this - that's about spying.

You're almost giving credence to this bollocks

Millimetre waves are the same as far infra-red, entirely harmless at the power levels concerned.

Gemma live-streams on the internet while claiming to despise the technology which makes what she does possible. She's a fraud.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

AllForIt wrote: »
    The concern is that higher frequencies are damaging to the human body in the same sorta way that more intense sunlight is damaging to the human body which it is.

The concern is unfounded.

Electromagnetic radiation is a spectrum from ELF all the way to gamma rays, but the spectrum can be broadly divided into two parts: ionising and non-ionising.

Ionising radiation has enough energy to ionise atoms. The energy of a photon of EM radiation is a direct function of its frequency, so there's a (fairly fuzzy) boundary above which EM is ionising and below which it is not.

In simple terms: far ultraviolet up to gamma rays are ionising (which is why intense sunlight can cause sunburn and cancer, as it contains a degree of UV-C). Frequencies from visible light down to ELF are non-ionising.

The highest frequency I've ever heard mentioned in connection with radio communications is 300GHz, and I can't see that being of practical use any time soon. The frequency cutoff for ionising radiation is somewhere in the ballpark of 3 petahertz - that's three million gigahertz.

The concerns about health risks from 5G are, like the concerns about health risks from all other forms of non-ionising radiation used in telecommunications, absolute rank nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from someone i know who used to work for a mobile telco - when he ran up against opposition to a base station in an area, would usually ask 'which do you think causes more radiation that you experience - a mobile phone sitting pressed against your head, talking to a base station a kilometre away, or the base station that's a kilometre away from you?'
    he'd then go on to ask 'do you want that mobile phone to have to transmit to a base station a kilometre away, or one that's 300m away?'

he did admit that the argument was lost on many people.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've had several experiences of explaining non-ionising radiation, the inverse square law, all that good stuff to people, only to have them say: "yeah, that all makes sense - I still don't know, though".

It's pretty much impossible to combat irrational fears with logic. That's why those mobile phone protection chips were popular for a while: they were an irrational and meaningless solution to an irrational and non-existent problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he was also saying that a common conversation he'd have when people learned who he worked for would go along these lines:
    'oh, you work for X, i don't like X, we don't have a great signal in our area, it's a pain in the ass'
    'do you want to give me your address and i can see if we can tweak a base station or look at putting one in your area'
    'oh, i wouldn't want that'.

Reminds me of a story which Douglas Adams used to tell, and quoted by Dawkins in the obituary he wrote for him:
    A man didn’t understand how televisions work, and was convinced that there must be lots of little men inside the box. manipulating images at high speed. An engineer explained to him about high frequency modulations of the electromagnetic spectrum, about transmitters and receivers, about amplifiers and cathode ray tubes, about scan lines moving across and down a phosphorescent screen. The man listened to the engineer with careful attention, nodding his head at every step of the argument. At the end he pronounced himself satisfied. He really did now understand how televisions work. "But I expect there are just a few little men in there, aren’t there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

John and Gemma - both hoping you're feeling alright? Hmmm?

https://twitter.com/markohalloran/status/1250580858093875201

Are they living together?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Are they living together?
    Would be good if they did - making only two people miserable instead of four.

Rubber up this time, John.

Where is he posting videos?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I see those muppets John and Gemma now involved in a large gathering at the Four Courts. Should have chucked them into cells for a couple of nights except for the fact they'd be a risk to the Gardaí looking after them.

funny enough, i met one of the people in that photo a few weeks back. not in a context where any salient issues were discussed.

Fcuking sociopaths :mad:

I blame John Waters for this, at this point feel a bit sorry for Gemma as I really think she had a mental break and it is a terrible saddness that no one seemed to be able to get her help (maybe others know better). Now that isn't a criticism of family or friends, she may have refused and been apparently copus mentis enough to get away with it. It is very hard to get someone help when they need it in this country in regards issues like this and similar, having had issues with an alcoholic, bar physically being the bad person in the situation, there is not much you can apparently do. John seems to be that prat in school or college or the pub who used waffly, flowery language and tricked those not paying much attention into thinking he was intelligent, and once that seed was sown, they really struggle to seperate it from their view of the world. Most people realise by the second time they meet if they don't realise the first time, but unfortunately a few are taken in by it, and I truly feel bad for them, I imagine alot of people in that picture truly feel like they are warriors answering a rally cry, and it is a pity that the only person they heard crying was John.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭Odhinn

smacl wrote: »
    I see those muppets John and Gemma now involved in a large gathering at the Four Courts. Should have chucked them into cells for a couple of nights except for the fact they'd be a risk to the Gardaí looking after them.

Former Debenhams workers were moved on by gardai after an attempted protest, so its hard to fathom why that spectacle was allowed proceed.

smacl wrote: »
    From a distance, somebody could spray them down with cold, soapy water.

CramCycle wrote: »
    ...John seems to be that prat in school or college or the pub who used waffly, flowery language and tricked those not paying much attention into thinking he was intelligent, and once that seed was sown, they really struggle to seperate it from their view of the world. Most people realise by the second time they meet if they don't realise the first time, but unfortunately a few are taken in by it, and I truly feel bad for them, I imagine alot of people in that picture truly feel like they are warriors answering a rally cry, and it is a pity that the only person they heard crying was John.

That's the basis of Boris Johnson's popularity. Bluster, nonsense, a clever turn of phrase or, best if all, a few words in latin. Waters could have really been someone if he was English. But he's also a contrarian so he would probably always be more at home with conspiracy theories than making a real difference for the good of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Waters is a not very bright person's idea of what intelligent people sound like. He has no ability to deal with any level of challenge to his view, I'm sure we all remember his rage during the softball podcast interview with Éamon Dunphy when he exploded at being pressed on a simple question about the morning after and abortion pills. We've all I'm sure encountered these sorts of thin skinned people in the workplace.

Problem is AGS don't have any water cannon, they borrowed a couple some years back from the PSNI for some event which escapes me right now (I don't think a G-8 meeting has ever been held here but it was something like that and was in the environs of the Phoenix Park IIRC.)

Be pretty hard for them to have their mobiles out live-streaming when they're getting a good dousing :)

• Advertisement

Yep, for the battle of ashtown. The PSNI apparently we're telling them how to fill it with salted iced water so you could get the temp well below zero (as it's the cold rather than the water per se which puts manners on people) and apparently the reaction of the gardai was 'ah jaysus you couldn't do that, it'd be freezing'.

Advertisement