Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which New Zealand Bus Tours?

Options
  • 05-07-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭

Kiwi Experience seems to be the most popular but is it a very young crowd? (I'm 34 but not picky).

I also heard Magic Bus was a slightly older crowd, anyone know?

Another one is Stray.

And I forget the name of the other one.

Anyone have any experience of these New Zealand tours? They seem to do anything from 2-day to several week long hop-on, hop-off tours. Some of them look pretty pricey but others seem very good value (including accommodation during Rugby world cup).

Any info greatly appreciated, or I'll probably go with Kiwi Experience. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rebel333

Ive done the magic one about 6 years ago and had the best craic ever.. Kiwi bus is full of eighteen years old so stay clear.. By older crowd in the magic bus, generally 25 upwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

rebel333 wrote: »
    Ive done the magic one about 6 years ago and had the best craic ever.. Kiwi bus is full of eighteen years old so stay clear.. By older crowd in the magic bus, generally 25 upwards...

OK Magic Bus sounds pretty good then alright. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I'd agree with rebel333, I did it the Magic bus a few years ago.
    Kiwi Experience is full of kids taking a gap year between school and uni. Known locally as the big green f**k bus since the coaches are green and the kids like to get to know each other very well!

Stray tends to be geared towards the more active traveller - people that like to go hiking and kayaking a lot.

Magic is for everybody else. Young, old, sightsee-ers, adventure-seekers etc. I found it great, was travelling on my own but always had plenty of company from people I met on the bus. I'd have no hesitation in recommending a bus tour in NZ - it takes the hassle out of everything, they'll book your activities and accommodation for you, drop you to the door and pick you up when you're ready to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Stray bus, the active choice. the magic bus is know to be a bit couplly, I did the stray bus last yr and coud,nt recommend it enough,

There probably both spot on but as stated stay well clear of the Kiwi Exp, that for mindless goones

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭belleray

Then we took the stray bus for 6 days to cover the north island - coromandel region, raglan for surfing, taupo for sky diving, cultural experience (spend the night in a Mauri meeting house) rotarua for white water rafting, National park for the 7 hour hike (optional - I went for the drive up Mordor for hot chocolate at the top instead), and then on to wellington, its very packed but I had a fantastic time, made loads of friends - generally had a blast - not too young a crowd, good mix. I wouldn't be described at the most active person but I thouraghly enjoyed myself and its like most things you make it fit you rather than fitting it. Well worth the trip, I recommended it to friends travelling after us and they loved it, one even won a free basejump (or something like that) from the Auckland tower on her bus.

Would def recommend stray

• Advertisement
Advertisement