Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gael Force West Advice

Options
  • 05-07-2011 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I've just signed up for this years Gael Force West, on August 20th - a little over 6 weeks ago. I have a background in triathlon and commute to work by bike but I've never done an adventure race.

Can it be done? Think positive people! Any advice, tips or training suggestions would be greatfully accepted!

I'll keep you updated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

You will get loads of info re Geal Force in Athletics/Running/Tri. Threads discussing all sorts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

It's not an adventure race. The only difference you'll find between it and a tri is that you'll kayak instead of swim, which is quite short, that there will be more climbing on foot than in most triathlons and that you'll transition back onto the bike. If you have the distance in your legs from tri, add some hill work and there's no reason why you won't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 qwertier

Thanks Kevin. Do you happen to know anywhere in the Dublin region for hill running by any chance?

qwertier wrote: »
    Thanks Kevin. Do you happen to know anywhere in the Dublin region for hill running by any chance?

Anywhere south of it should do the trick if you know where you're going, or check out imra.ie for excellent mountain races all over south Dublin and Wicklow. Lots of the runner will be doing the GF too and you can tap them up for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭smurph10

Hi folks , im new to this..

My question is what level of fitness do u need to do the gael force

My cycling would be quite good as i did the ring of kerry last week in 6 hrs and completed the tour of the alps (362 mile in 4 days) at the start of may.

I am usually an ok runner but only really started again for the first time in 2 years last week doing 3 and 4 mile runs, no real hills involved.

I take it ther Kayak looks after itself as iv only ever sat on one once.

So basically if i took into training from now would i be able to complete it or am i disillusioned??

Any training tips would be great also

Thanks

• Advertisement

Doesn't sound to me like you have enough running miles in your legs to go for it. You might get away with it, but the GF invloves a lot of time on your feet, so I could see you being a non-finisher/getting injured/not enjoying it in any way. Plenty of other races that might offer you a more realistic timeframe.

cheers kevin,

suppose im just an ignorant sort who thought that with training that if i start it ill finish it..

Might aim for the Killarney adventure race if not ready for gael force west

smurph10 wrote: »
    cheers kevin,

suppose im just an ignorant sort who thought that with training that if i start it ill finish it..

Might aim for the Killarney adventure race if not ready for gael force west

The GF website used to have a training plan by Peter O'Farrell - he should know his onions after winning it a few times - have a look at it and you'll probably see yourself how light you are on the running at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 harrise

There's a mini adventure race on at Avon ri in blessington on July 23rd that you could do to get you started, look under activities on avonri.com. I've never done any sort of race before, not even a 5km run but am using this race to get thrown in at the deep end! I'd say if you already have a good level of fitness from your triathlons then you'd be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 darrenoconaill

It's not an adventure race. The only difference you'll find between it and a tri is that you'll kayak instead of swim, which is quite short, that there will be more climbing on foot than in most triathlons and that you'll transition back onto the bike. If you have the distance in your legs from tri, add some hill work and there's no reason why you won't do it.

Hi Kevin,

just curious as to what you do consider an adventure race to be. Is it something that has a navigational aspect to it or what? Just wondering what you think criteria should be.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Kevin,

just curious as to what you do consider an adventure race to be. Is it something that has a navigational aspect to it or what? Just wondering what you think criteria should be.

Thanks

Hi, yeh, that for me would be the biggest distinction between AR and multi-sport races that aren't AR. It's not an adventure if you know where you're going.

Are there any of those types of races around? I know some of the imra races require navigation but do you know of any multisport events in Ireland that have navigation involved? Would like to try one but have never seen any advertised.

Loads! Have a google of Causeway Coast AR, Beast of Ballyhoura and Sleepmonsters for a start. Have look at orienteering.ie for foot and MTBO.

Thanks Kevin.

Apologies quertier for hi-jacking your thread. Best of luck with your training for GFW. I'll be there myself. Did it last year and loved it. It's a great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Hi, yeh, that for me would be the biggest distinction between AR and multi-sport races that aren't AR. It's not an adventure if you know where you're going.

Spot on! Another huge thing is that mountain biking is one of the core sports of adventure racing. Basicially, if you can do a race on a road bike, its not an adventure race.

Adventure racing is normally done in teams as well. The rules for team composition vary from race to race, but by far the most common format is mixed teams of 4.

The wikipedia entry for aventure racing is actually pretty good.

:):):)

So i took the plunge and did it.

5hrs 19 mins which i was happy enough with for my first attempt.

Dont know if im on the right thread here but sure anyway..

Im planning to do each of the races i did last year with the aim of taking considerable time of each of them

Duathlons
    gaelforce west
    Killarney adventure race
    Ring of Kerry (bike-not a race but id like to decrease my time in doing it)

This year i plan to do it properly and am starting training in January. Was wondering 2 things

Does anyone have any exact training programs done out that would cover a 7-8 month period and is there anyone in the naas area during the week that would like to get involved in a similar type training programme between january and may

My running capability is roughly 12km per hour and am capable of of 28-30km an hour on the bike (altho i have taken about a 6 week break from doing anything recently as i have pulled a muscle in my leg)

Any suggestions or advice welcome

Oh im 30 if that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ronan1986

:):):)

So i took the plunge and did it.

5hrs 19 mins which i was happy enough with for my first attempt.

Only seen this thread now for the first time.

Glad you did it. looking at what your cycling background was and my perception of your fitness I knew you could do it easily having completed it myself in 2010. The advice you got in this thread to not do it in July was a load of crap and quiet frankly bewildering.

Fair play

I missed last years Gaelforce due to a wedding but will be back with a bang this year with a better more adequate bike and more motivation to beat my 6hr 12 min from 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ronan1986

Dont know if im on the right thread here but sure anyway..

Im planning to do each of the races i did last year with the aim of taking considerable time of each of them

Duathlons
    gaelforce west
    Killarney adventure race
    Ring of Kerry (bike-not a race but id like to decrease my time in doing it)

This year i plan to do it properly and am starting training in January. Was wondering 2 things

Does anyone have any exact training programs done out that would cover a 7-8 month period and is there anyone in the naas area during the week that would like to get involved in a similar type training programme between january and may

My running capability is roughly 12km per hour and am capable of of 28-30km an hour on the bike (altho i have taken about a 6 week break from doing anything recently as i have pulled a muscle in my leg)

Any suggestions or advice welcome

Oh im 30 if that matters

for running I would aim to be running 3 times a week, obviously building up to be able to run 15km roughly in a decent time and not being banjaxed after.

Make sure to throw shorter distance runs in with your longer distance in a given week.

Also, I would advice incorporating running on grass/mud/in fields as well as on road running.

Finally, hillrunning andmountain running should beincorporated. lots of good places for this around Dublin/Wicklow.
    My favourites are Tibraddan mountain and kilmashogue as well as hellfire.

Worked for me in my first adventure race and running was my strongest aspect on the day. Did the first run in 1 hr 14 which was decent for a first timer and I cut a lot of corners in training.

Advertisement