Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting the breeze in Mullingar

Options
  • 06-07-2011 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I'll be in Mullingar this Thursday at about noon. I'm coming out from North County Dublin for a job interview. My train will have me there a little under two hours early, so I'm just wondering what I can do to kill the time leading up to my interview.

I'll be coming from the train station and heading to Lough Sheever Corporate Park - is there anywhere I can go and have a bite to eat and take the weight off my feet for a while that you would recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

For food there's the following places :)

The Greville Arms - does lovely food and is reasonably priced, they also provide baby chairs as far as I know.

The Bakery - it is on Dominick Street, they are slightly more expensive than the Greville, but the food is nice. They do a lovely Mocha as well.

Ilia - on Pearse Street, they are expensive, no idea what their food is like though. I was there once, had a Mocha, think it was €7 or thereabouts.

Gallery 29 Café - on the main street. I have never been there so don't know whats its like.

Fraynes Bakery - on Mount St. Never had food there, only ever got take away buns/cakes, but I have seen food served there. No idea what the food pricing is like though, cakes/buns aren't too expensive.

The Spiced Bean - on Mary St, again I've never been there so don't know what it is like.

The Coffee Dock - on Castle St. I've never been there so don't know what it is like.

Chocolate Brown - nice Mocha, never had food there so don't know what it is like.

Cafe le Monde - Harbour Place shopping centre, no idea what the pricing is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I think your best bet would be to head to The Bakery on Dominic street as it is just down the road from the Train Station (come out of train station - go up hill towards town and turn right down Dominic street, Bakery on RHS). Or Ilia - keep going through small roundabout onto Pearce st, Ilia on LHS. There isn't anywhere nice to stop near to the business park so stay near town centre for eats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Just to let you know, Lough Sheever Park is a long hike, so you'd probably be better off getting a taxi. Good luck with the interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Thanks folks

With regards the distance from the train station to the business park - google maps it telling me it's a half hours walk; would that be accurate? Weather providing, a half hours walk wouldn't be the worst thing in my books.

As an aside, could someone tell me where the nearest taxi rank will be to the station?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Thanks folks

With regards the distance from the train station to the business park - google maps it telling me it's a half hours walk; would that be accurate? Weather providing, a half hours walk wouldn't be the worst thing in my books.

As an aside, could someone tell me where the nearest taxi rank will be to the station?

I suppose half an hour or maybe a bit more. That wouldn't be at a leisurely pace though. The park is big enough too, so you'd want to be allowing a while walking in there too, especially if you are not sure where you're going.

If ya decide to get a taxi, there's a rank straight across the road from "The Bakery".

• Advertisement

Guesstimate on the price of a taxi from Dominick street to the business park?

Also, it'll be dodgy gettin' out of the park and to the station in 20 minutes for my train home. I assume mullingar taxi will pick me up if I make a booking? How much will that cost me aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Guesstimate on the price of a taxi from Dominick street to the business park?

Also, it'll be dodgy gettin' out of the park and to the station in 20 minutes for my train home. I assume mullingar taxi will pick me up if I make a booking? How much will that cost me aswell?
    A taxi from the rank at Dominick St to the park will be about €10 or thereabouts, so in total for a taxi there and a taxi back it'll be around the €20 mark.

I know of one particular taxi who doesn't much at all, if you want his contact info, PM me. I also know of another company who will charge you a fortune, if you want to know who, PM me.

If you book a taxi, remember there is a €2 booking fee.

Depending on the day and time of your journey, 20 minutes may not be long enough to get from the park back into town, depending on traffic, road works etc.

Cheers folks.

Mullingar is a lovely place. I had a lovely lunch in a big bar.. can't rightly remember the name.. The Something Arms. Some poor fella was pukin' his ring up in the jacks when I went in for a slash.

I got to and from the business park no bother. That place is massive..

Afternoon all!

I'm going to be back in Mullingar tomorrow morning faaairly early. I'll be needing a taxi at half 9. Will there be any at the taxi rank at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Afternoon all!

I'm going to be back in Mullingar tomorrow morning faaairly early. I'll be needing a taxi at half 9. Will there be any at the taxi rank at that time?

Yes, there normally are taxis waiting at the train station especially in the morning when there will be commuters coming off the train! Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement