Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll: New Met Eireann Radar. Do you Like? Do you Not?

Options
  • 06-07-2011 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭

Just a poll just to get an overall view on the new met eireann radar :)

New map (white background) compared to old one (green background)

166029.gif166028.gif

New Vs Old Met Eireann Rainfall Radar. Which one is best? 53 votes

New radar Map Rocks!!
    0% 0 votes
    New radar map sucks. Bring back the old one!
    58% 31 votes
    I couldn't give a toss either way...
    41% 22 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Some less extreme poll options?

For the most part I find it an improvement but colour and size in particular could be improved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I like it. How can anyone not like it, its easier to read, looks pretty.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Have got used to it now already. Handy when you zoom in - the definition is really pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I like it, I don't like it, and I don't care.

wrong type of poll ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

agree that poll options are limited. The old is available anyway.

I currently toggle between both

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Not enough choices

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I think the new one missed the boat on several improvements that could have been implemented.

The map needs to be bigger, much bigger.

The colours used need improvement with more increments introduced.

They should use OSI maps for the background with zoom capabilities down to level 6... http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,715915,734373,6,10 as an example

A precipitype... rain/sleet/snow could be incorporated

My 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Just to add, seeing that OSI and ME are both Govt bodies, the OSI should be providing the maps for free across other Govt bodies that require them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Maybe it appeals to the nerdies but to the other 99% it doesn't look appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Needs an on the fence option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Have to admit that the new radar is getting better but still prefer the old one...graphics more pleasing to the eye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

It is very hard to distinguish between the orange and red echoes, why use two colours that are so alike?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Broken Loose

Looks like Met Eireann found their crayolas and coloured the map in. Looks significantly better now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

That's a significant improvement.
    The time stamp has been moved as well and there has been a slight change in the colour scheme for rain rate. I think max rate was 32mm/hr

I won't be looking at the old one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Initially voted NO to the poll but the recent changes to the map I like and its much easier on the eye now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I didn't really take to it at first, but now I've gotten use to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Yeah I think a new poll would show a significant yes vote given the recent changes

with it colored in its alot better! :)
    could do with being much bigger though - or optional clickable sizes :)

Now Im not sure..given it barely rained here yet +8mmm/hr was on the radar..it seems wildly inaccaurate(or the scale is wrong..surely an unimaginable error).. and before was usually close to the mark..different backgrounds etc wont help if the radar itself is a crock:confused:
    Why is there very few reports here of any kind of notable weather (xcept knock!) given those pink monstercells flying around the place?
    Im going for dont know in the next poll..before everything was simple and nice..maybe the front end is not really the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

could do with being much bigger though - or optional clickable sizes :)

Zoom in on your browser, you can zoom into 400% and it's grand quality.

4sheets, the scale on the new radar is different to the last, pink on the new one is as low as 1.5 mm/ph...so that is why there are no reports of these pink "montercells" around. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

it tells me that GOD HATES OXEGEN.

John.Icy wrote: »
    Zoom in on your browser, you can zoom into 400% and it's grand quality.

4sheets, the scale on the new radar is different to the last, pink on the new one is as low as 1.5 mm/ph...so that is why there are no reports of these pink "montercells" around. :)

No man pink is the highest rainfall on the scale 32mm look again..is it my browser?

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

thats what i see!

Latest reports?

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

4Sheets wrote: »
    No man pink is the highest rainfall on the scale 32mm look again..is it my browser?

thats what i see!

Latest reports?

Or is the scale per 15min?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

thats what i see!

Latest reports?

This is the scale.

legendrainfall.png

You are trying to tell me I am colorblind..No that is not the scale I see on thr link I posted it is 100% pink ..ok maybe some action now in the west,,but only going by reports in dublin there was nothing noteworthy ..else the threads would be hopping...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

This is the scale.

legendrainfall.png

Yes interesting.

Like the new radar since they filled it in Green, DID NOT like it when it was white/clear.

Pity they don't give the option of seeing the "forecast" of it for say next 4x15 min segments, i know it would only be a forecast but sure....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah as I said in the other thread theyre using the old colour scheme again for some reason, the legend still shows the new one though so thats why people are confused with the pink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

thats what i see!

Well, light blue is the highest on the link you provided me with.

Refresh it, maybe....some people seem to be stuck on the old rate scheme, most have the new one though.

John.Icy wrote: »
    Well, light blue is the highest on the link you provided me with.

Refresh it, maybe....some people seem to be stuck on the old rate scheme, most have the new one though.

Yeah now it changed once i refreshed .I type met on google and thats my usual route or a bookmark ..why did that not update?
    Anyway to echo my previous sentiments the emperor has the same clothes as previously! There's little difference from the older radar even as the new one morphs slowly back into old!

• Advertisement
Advertisement