Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name mods of private/restricted forums

Options
  • 06-07-2011 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I just tried to access a restricted-access forum that I used to have access to and got:
    Orion, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

You may be trying to post in a restricted forum such as Soccer, or one of the many private forums on boards.ie.
    For clarification, check our Help Desk forum.
    You may be banned from this forum if you contravened an element of the forum charter.
    Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I'm not banned afaik - I reckon I was just removed from the access list for lack of use (use it or lose it was a thread in there at one stage iirc).

Is it possible for forums like that one to name the mods in the Denied message so that they can be contacted to request access?

- - - - - - -
    No - I won't say what forum I was trying to access. :p
    No it's not the uber-sekrit donkey-pr0n forum - mere mortals like me can't get into there - that's reserved for the admins and snyper.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's a standard message that appears when you try to access a forum that you don't have permission to access. I stand to be corrected, but I don't think you can customise it for individual forums, the one message applies to all.

If you want to PM me with the name of the forum I'll dig out the mods' names for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That's ok thanks - I dug up the mods name from the biki. It was just a general query. I thought that might be the case alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Orion wrote: »
    No it's not the uber-sekrit donkey-pr0n forum - mere mortals like me can't get into there - that's reserved for the admins and snyper.
    God bless the good ship Sl***ce and all who used to post there...

*salutes*

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Good guess. But nope - I'm still a crewmate on the good ship Sl***ce :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

There are sekrit forums?

like Narnia?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

there are more secret forums than public ones tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Des wrote: »
    there are more secret forums than public ones tbh.

You'd be surprised.

There are roughly 170 private forums out of a total of roughly 900 at the moment.

Conor wrote: »
    You'd be surprised.

There are roughly 170 private forums out of a total of roughly 900 at the moment.

That's close on 20% of the forums, I am surprised.

Any data that can be shared on what % of total Boards.ie posts are in the Private Forums?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

There are 900 forums!?
    I know there's a lot, but 900????

Beruthiel wrote: »
    There are 900 forums!?

Some forums have Forum ID with 4 digits, for example all the Feed Forwards are 13xx

• Advertisement

That's close on 20% of the forums, I am surprised.

90 of them are under the Sys category (69 of which are mod forums).
    59 of them are under the Hosted category.
    9 of them are in the Inactive category.
    Any data that can be shared on what % of total Boards.ie posts are in the Private Forums?

Roughly 5% or so.

90 of them are under the Sys category (69 of which are mod forums).
    Ah yeah, all the mod forums, makes sense.
    Roughly 5% or so.

That's not insignificant, and surprises me.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    There are 900 forums!?

Arts: 77
    Biz: 40
    Edu: 42
    Games: 64
    Hosted: 110
    Inactive: 9 (Used to be a lot more, but many were merged for performance reasons)
    Music: 24
    Rec: 90
    Region: 69
    Science: 24
    Soc: 95
    Sports: 69
    Sys: 122
    Tech: 64

That's not insignificant, and surprises me.

It's about 3.5% if you exclude things like reported posts, reported PMs, reported sigs, etc.

Also, it's spread out a lot more than in the public forums. Only one private forum would make the top 50 forums by post count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Hosted: 110

That's a fair number. It's a wonder then that the Hosted Moderator forum is so quiet. Last post there was over a year ago. The Carlsberg complaints office is busier.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    That's a fair number. It's a wonder then that the Hosted Moderator forum is so quiet. Last post there was over a year ago. The Carlsberg complaints office is busier.

It's not really surprising though, the Hosted Forums don't really have anything in common with each other, or the rest of boards.

Especially the private ones. If there is an issue with any of the private hosted forums I mod, they are either solved in house, or in private with an Admin, I certainly wouldn't be discussing them with any randomer on the HMod Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Especially the private ones. If there is an issue with any of the private hosted forums I mod, they are either solved in house, or in private with an Admin, I certainly wouldn't be discussing them with any randomer on the HMod Forum.

Which is why I never posted in it tbh. There are some commonalty issues though, that could be discussed without revealing any anything about each others respective forums.

Just on the message that non-members of private forums see when clicking on a link; that was discussed in detail here in Feedback last year:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055813032

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

My brain hurts.

I preferred it when we said there were a load of forums

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I never knew there even was a HMod forum. I can't imagine what its purpose is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Anyone ever feel left out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Hmods don't have access to the Mods forum so it's for things like how to use ModUtils etc. that they wouldn't be able to ask elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

It's the best forum ever. Stop trying to wreck our buzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I'm only a member of 2 private forums, I feel left out :(

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I'm only a member of 2 private forums, I feel left out :(

I'm a mod of three. BOOM!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Only one private forum would make the top 50 forums by post count.

What one is that? Sounds interesting!

I genuinely don't get the point of most of the private forums. I've been members of one or two and have lost interest entirely - the majority just discuss the exact same things as other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Member of none, started a thread in the help desk about them once because most seem to be so secretive that you have to either ask or be "selected" but they can't really tell you what they are about until you join! I don't want to end up a member of the republican crossdressers private forum. :D

How do you start a private forum? Do you have to do a public request like normal forums? Or is it through pms?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

A private forum for what? If it's a good enough reason, and one doesn't already exist, and there's enough demand, then it might be granted. The chances are that a forum exists for just about everything now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Shield wrote: »
    A private forum for what? If it's a good enough reason, and one doesn't already exist, and there's enough demand, then it might be granted. The chances are that a forum exists for just about everything now though.

Some of the private forums I gather are private forums within public forum, could you say have a private forum inside one of the busier private forum? A kind of Russian Doll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Is there a list of them anywhere? I know some you can request access, like the Republican forum and The Lock inn.

Advertisement