Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name mods of private/restricted forums

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Quazzie wrote: »
    Considering thats the first post in 15 months in the forum, I can't see it being too successful. Good idea though.

If you post/link in the main mods forum you'll probably get more reaction from people who mod Hosted and Real (:D) forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If you post/link in the main mods forum you'll probably get more reaction from people who mod Hosted and Real (:D) forums.
    For a long time I thought HMod was short for Half Mod.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Quazzie wrote: »
    For a long time I thought HMod was short for Half Mod.:(

Apparently it stands for "Hardly" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Speaking as an HMod, I say yes

Cool. I always wondered what the Latverian People's Army was but was too afraid to ask :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Shield, is there anyway for you to use the 'Announcement' feature so that only hosted forums seen it?

Could be a handy way of alerting Hmods to the thread without having to PM them all individually.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I'd need to be a mod of the Hosted Category to be able to do that. Let me think about how we can make sure this receives maximum exposure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Orion wrote: »
    Cool. I always wondered what the Latverian People's Army was but was too afraid to ask :o
    Amazing how many people say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Corsendonk wrote: »
    1. Nein 11? A forum for those who like their humour dark and twisted, not family friendly.
    2. BAPS?????? A forum for those boards.ie users who are members of the Boards Alliance of Protectorate States - a cybernations alliance - they now have their own forums at CNBAPS

Shield, I've posted in the mod forum, please add the Motivation and personal Development forum to that list. Open to anyone but members must post and regularly sign in to retain access (as about 40 people have found out recently :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Shield, I've posted in the mod forum, please add the Motivation and personal Development forum to that list. Open to anyone but members must post and regularly sign in to retain access (as about 40 people have found out recently :D)

Perhaps they lacked motivation :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

hmmm, there is a HMod Forum? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

irishbird wrote: »
    hmmm, there is a HMod Forum? :eek:

Yup. Here ya go!

(For HMods only, of course!)

Just to let people know that the list of private forums is slowly growing.

If you don't see a forum there but you know it exists, then either they have opted out of being on the list, or they don't know about it yet. It really is just a new thing started in the last few days as a result of some decent feedback here.

See? It does work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hang on, what's all this?

I'm sorry, but there's a lot more going on here than people just wanting to publicise their forums. Private forums are something we provide as a favour for some members but the more traffic on them, the less on the main site and therefore Boards.ie suffers.

So I'm calling a halt to all this whilst I have a chat with the Board and the Admins about what they think and where this goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Dav wrote: »

I'm sorry, but there's a lot more going on here than people just wanting to publicise their forums. Private forums are something we provide as a favour for some members but the more traffic on them, the less on the main site and therefore Boards.ie suffers.

So I'm calling a halt to all this whilst I have a chat with the Board and the Admins about what they think and where this goes.

Conspiracy Theories is over there Dav.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I thought forums like ranting and raving would still be boards forums, just trickier to have public?

or is the idea that it is private a favour, instead of deleting it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

super-rush wrote: »
    Conspiracy Theories is over there Dav.
    Eh wut da fu....? How is that CT territory? As D pointed out;
    Private forums are something we provide as a favour for some members but the more traffic on them, the less on the main site and therefore Boards.ie suffers.
    Seems straightforward enough to me anyway. IE and exaggerated for effect "Oh yes Mr advertiser(who helps to keep us going), we have 1000's of posters all over Boards.ie. Really? On a perusal of the site, I only see 100's".

Hey I get private forums and long may they continue. I'm a member of a couple(well three, I'm a pariah *cries.. sniff*), but if there was a large enough migration into said forums, that may well reflect on the overall numbers and content of the site and the value of the site. I don't just mean to advertisers either BTW. Outside the invites to orgies(I've said too much) I've read some really good stuff on private forums. Stuff that would be really worthwhile for casual browsers to read. It would be a pity IMH if that increased rather than decreased. Plus it would lead to enclaves of various groups and that shíte we do not need as a community overall.

Like I say eff all CT required.

My 3 cents anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Wibbs wrote: »
    Seems straightforward enough to me anyway. IE and exaggerated for effect "Oh yes Mr advertiser(who helps to keep us going), we have 1000's of posters all over Boards.ie. Really? On a perusal of the site, I only see 100's".

Hey I get private forums and long may they continue. I'm a member of a couple(well three, I'm a pariah *cries.. sniff*), but if there was a large enough migration into said forums, that may well reflect on the overall numbers and content of the site and the value of the site. I don't just mean to advertisers either BTW. Outside the invites to orgies(I've said too much) I've read some really good stuff on private forums. Stuff that would be really worthwhile for casual browsers to read. It would be a pity IMH if that increased rather than decreased. Plus it would lead to enclaves of various groups and that shíte we do not need as a community overall.

My 3 cents anyway.

Its all about the cents, your 3 included :)

My 3 cents anyway.

My 3 cents

No it wouldn't. Private forums for the best part are just for a laugh and people are reading wayyyyyyyyyy too much into whats been posted in this thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Its all about the cents, your 3 included :)
    Ah here! Do you not know that mods take it in turns to man the stationary bike to power the dynamo that powers the servers? When it's running fast it's them in the fitness forums doing the pedaling and when it's running really really slow... well I apologise up front.

In fairness this site from the very get go needed funds to run The Left Hand Of God. At no point was it running on fairy dust anyway. The bigger it gets, the more funds it requires and for me that's grand when we're in the loop where said funds are coming from. And we are. Compared to many other forums I'm a member of *gasp*. Late enough though I was to the party I remember slow downs and drops in service back in the day. Slow downs and drops in service that are seriously reduced these days. And thats down to funding(and the backroom boffins kept happy by same). At no point in my sojourn here have I paid for the service in cash money(though nota bene I did buy Dav and DeV a pint once so that should count)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Dav - As you can see above, I did check with a site admin before going ahead with this. I know you're busier than normal and didn't feel this was that important that it needed your time. From the feedback that I got, the community seemed to approve of the idea.

Once the community were happy, and the admins were happy (as one has the authority to speak for all), I didn't see any point in dragging it out unnecessarily.

Oh well guys, sorry it didn't work out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

In fairness this site from the very get go needed funds to run The Left Hand Of God. At no point was it running on fairy dust....
    *Yawn*

Subscribers forum thataway ya tight git ---> :D:D:D

super-rush wrote: »
    My 3 cents

No it wouldn't. Private forums for the best part are just for a laugh and people are reading wayyyyyyyyyy too much into whats been posted in this thread.
    How much content of this site is currently in private forums compared to public ones? If that ratio increases it will have an effect on perception of the site. Regardless lazily pointing to the Conspiracy Theories forum on questioning that is a bit rich IMHO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

3.5% of posts excluding reporting sigs/spammers threads are in private forums. 69 of these forums are mod forums though.

How much content of this site is currently in private forums compared to public ones? If that ratio increases it will have an effect on perception of the site. Regardless lazily pointing to the Conspiracy Theories forum on questioning that is a bit rich IMHO.

It was a joke Wibbs. Maybe i should have pointed you to the Humour forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

How much content of this site is currently in private forums compared to public ones?
    I asked that in this very thread Wibbs.

Here are the answers I got, nicely condensed into one post.
    Conor wrote: »
    You'd be surprised.

There are roughly 170 private forums out of a total of roughly 900 at the moment.

90 of them are under the Sys category (69 of which are mod forums).
    59 of them are under the Hosted category.
    9 of them are in the Inactive category.

Arts: 77
    Biz: 40
    Edu: 42
    Games: 64
    Hosted: 110
    Inactive: 9 (Used to be a lot more, but many were merged for performance reasons)
    Music: 24
    Rec: 90
    Region: 69
    Science: 24
    Soc: 95
    Sports: 69
    Sys: 122
    Tech: 64
    Des wrote: »
    That's close on 20% of the forums, I am surprised.

Any data that can be shared on what % of total Boards.ie posts are in the Private Forums?
    Conor wrote: »
    Roughly 5% or so

It's about 3.5% if you exclude things like reported posts, reported PMs, reported sigs, etc.

Also, it's spread out a lot more than in the public forums. Only one private forum would make the top 50 forums by post count.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does that 3.5% include the Soccer forum? Is that considered private or restricted or is there a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't think the SF IS a private forum tbh.

Restricted Access != Private.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'm going to risk sounding a bit thick here, but surely if there's traffic on a public forum like AH, or a private one like RaN its immaterial for the site as a whole as the traffic is still on boards as it is the host? Wouldn't advertising as it is currently and such still be preserved accross the site regardless of public or private fora?

Or maybe I'm missing something.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm going to risk sounding a bit thick here, but surely if there's traffic on a public forum like AH, or a private one like RaN its immaterial for the site as a whole as the traffic is still on boards as it is the host? Wouldn't advertising as it is currently and such still be preserved accross the site regardless of public or private fora?

Or maybe I'm missing something.

I think it's more to do with maintaining some semblance of site-wide community spirit (rather than splintering the user-base into cliques) and keeping the high standards of discourse available on public fora (rather than quality posts and other material becoming more hidden in private fora), as opposed to advertising worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Private forums are private for a reason. Some are semi private or by invite.

No need for a list.

Leave as is.

Advertisement