Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running in new barrel

Options
  • 06-07-2011 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Question - how many rounds (average) does it take to run in a new barrel/ rifle to achive good groups ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Question - how many rounds (average) does it take to run in a new barrel/ rifle to achive good groups ?

45 -63 approx, depending on make of barrel
    1 shot clean after each for 5 =5
    2 shots clean for 4 =8
    3 shots clean for 3=9
    4 shots clean for 4 =16
    5 shots clean for 5 =25

I was happy after 40 rounds through my truflite barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

Hi crackcrack30

Have to say Ive never followed any of the procedures of firing 5 shots and then cleaning fire another 5 and clean again when i got my new rifle. I just cleaned the barrel once i was finished shooting each time.
    I'm not saying this is the right thing to do but Ive put around 4 - 500 rounds through it now and it always groups perfect!

CS

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

45 -63 approx, depending on make of barrel
    1 shot clean after each for 5 =5
    2 shots clean for 4 =8
    3 shots clean for 3=9
    4 shots clean for 4 =16
    5 shots clean for 5 =25

I was happy after 40 rounds through my truflite barrel

Nice one Tack,at last my rfd called(last night) and said my cz 455 hmr thumbhole is in:):):) just wondering if I used the method you described above,would a boresnake be sufficient for the cleaning between the groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Longranger wrote: »
    Nice one Tack,at last my rfd called(last night) and said my cz 455 hmr thumbhole is in:):):) just wondering if I used the method you described above,would a boresnake be sufficient for the cleaning between the groups?

Barrel break in procedures are typically for jacketed bullets and centrefire rifle. For a smallbore, I'd just give the rifle a good clean before I used it, oil, brush, patches, then shoot it plenty and clean it every time I used it, wouldn't bother with a dedicated break in regime, and it certainly hasn't hurt my target rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Even with a break in process some barrels have significantly longer bedding in times than others. On factory barrels its usually longer than say custom barrels, and with different calibers/makes this also holds true. My old CZ 527 had 100 rounds or so through it and i could see grouping improving with the same ammo. I spoke to other lads with the same rifle and they told me their rifle did not come into it's own until after 150+ rounds.
    Longranger wrote: »
    .........,would a boresnake be sufficient for the cleaning between the groups?

Personally a boresnake for me is a tool to give a quick clean in a field/hurried situation. They do not provide a good cleaning and would not be as adpet as a rod and patches, mops, brushes, etc.
    Barrel break in procedures are typically for jacketed bullets and centrefire rifle. For a smallbore, I'd just give the rifle a good clean before I used it, oil, brush, patches, then shoot it plenty and clean it every time I used it, wouldn't bother with a dedicated break in regime, and it certainly hasn't hurt my target rifle.

Very true for a .22lr or other lead bullets. The .17 HMR could be run in as a .223, .243, .308, etc. due to its make up. ie jacketed bullet. For a ,22 though i wouldn't bother with any break in procedure. As with IWM my rifle prefered to fire with a fouled/dirty barrel so i only cleaned occassionally, and used no break in procedure.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I've still to see the true benefits of breaking in. My truflite only has 100 or so gone through her.
    I have new ammo to test at the weekend on paper, lets see if groups improve :D

I did not break in my old sako and she still shot well, so here's hoping breaking in the truflite will improve the groups Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Give 'er a blast of a bronze brush and Brasso, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Whats the reasoning behind breaking in a barrel.

Whats the reasoning behind breaking in a barrel.

even wear as the first 40 or so rounds will be wearing off subtle burrs etc

same way you break in a car engine of sorts

• Advertisement
Advertisement