Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate fudge sauce

Options
  • 06-07-2011 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Ok, so I made rather yummy chocolate brownies today and there was a recipe for chocolate fudge sauce with it. The quantites were ridiculous, I ended up with 500ml of sauce. It's delicious so I don't want to waste it but considering the recipe only made 9 brownies I really can't see myself using it all just serving it with them.

So, any suggestions as to what else I could do with it? I thought of serving it with ice-cream but I'm not mad about ice-cream. Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 y3llo_w

spread it on toast..or serve with pancakes.! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Eat it with a spoon. :pac: Or use it like a dip. You could dip biscuits or marshmallows or fruit or anything into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

You could use it to make chocolate milk or milkshakes (like Americans do with that Hersheys syrup stuff!) or keep and it and use to to make shop bought cake taste amazing. Or pop it in a pretty jar with a ribbon on & give it as a gift to your next houseguest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Or make some cupcakes/fairy cakes and use it to top them with.
    Pancake idea is yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Thanks for the replies.

I tried it on toast, very nice.

Eating it with a spoon would not end well. :) It's so rich.
    I'd say it would be really good with marshmallows but unfortunately I don't have any. :(
    Might heat some of it and try it with banana later.

Hot chocolate could be good.

I thought of spreading it on a cake/cupcakes but I still have the brownies to eat.

I wonder how long it would last.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ninky

It should last in the fridge for atleast a week if not two since sugar acts as a preservative..if i lived near you i would gladly take it off your hands:D

I like the pancake idea myself especially since i came across nigella lawsons pancake mix idea..abit like the ready mix in a bottle you can buy(add eggs/milk and shake) but hers make the fat american style ones.thought it was quite handy(good when you have kids screaming around your ankles and can't get to the shops!:) :

mix all these together and store away for when needed
    600g plain flour
    50g baking powder
    2tsp bakind soda
    1tsp salt
    50g sugar

when you want pancakes:
    mix a cup of the above mix and a cup of milk, 1egg and 1tablespoon melted butter.

dollop in to heated, lightly oiled pan
    cook for about a minute each side

invite a gang of friends round and serve fresh pancakes with strawberries and chocolate sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 y3llo_w

I tried that Nigella american pancake recipie just the other morning.! :D with strawberries and sugar :D was sooooo good especially when you got a bunch off people over.! chocolate sauce would have been awesome with them tho.!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is it possible to freeze those kinds of sauces?
    I use the Nigella peanut butter chocolate sauce recipe all the time it's got double cream, peanut butter, milk chocolate and golden syrup in it and it's heated on low. Would this be ok to freeze? It keeps in the fridge for a couple of days but on the (few) days I don't pig out would be nice to be able to freeze some or would that ruin it?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

I was actually wondering about freezing it.

I just had one of the brownies with the sauce and couldn't face anymore. I'm a shame to the female race :(

It has solidified quite a bit now, would probably make really good truffle-type sweets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ninky

Is it possible to freeze those kinds of sauces?
    I use the Nigella peanut butter chocolate sauce recipe all the time it's got double cream, peanut butter, milk chocolate and golden syrup in it and it's heated on low. Would this be ok to freeze? It keeps in the fridge for a couple of days but on the (few) days I don't pig out would be nice to be able to freeze some or would that ruin it?

i'm not sure from a health and safety point of view, as in i suppose you should have it at least up to simmering point(food safety sites say 70 or 72 degrees i think if you want to get technical or someone else may know better) in order to keep items containing cream but to be honest, if its only for you I'd freeze it, it'll be fine as long as you're not looking to use it weeks and weeks later..a month would be my limit..defrost in the fridge and beat it again before using..though i have a tendency to put saucey items in the microwave and heat up till bubbling(!) mix well and cool, if needed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 moley

Freezing anything sugary can ruin it's texture, if it has a high sugar/fat content and cocoa it really should be fridge stable for months with no problem. The Nigella recipe might separate if frozen, but all you would have to do is heat it up and whip it again.

Oh, in the pancake recipe up there if you really want American pancakes like you would get at a pancake house/diner, use buttermilk instead of butter+milk like her recipe. I usually make a huge batch and freeze them, they last in the freezer for ages.

For the chocolate sauce dilemma - what can't you do with chocolate sauce? :D I think it'd be great with sliced bananas in a crepe or on a big fluffy waffle, but I would probably end up eating it by the spoonful while I tried to decide. If you roll it into balls and roll it in some smashed hazelnuts&wafers(not sure what they're called here, they're called cream wafers back home, they smash well and make great truffle coating) it'd be delicious too

Advertisement