Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Development

Options
  • 06-07-2011 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was thinking about doing a web development course that would cover HTML, PHP and Javascript etc.., something in the evenings probably. I have a degree in computer systems and worked in IT support for a number of years.
    What's the chances of getting a job in web development? Would I have to do some freelance work first to get a portfolio?

Thanks.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

omen80 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was thinking about doing a web development course that would cover HTML, PHP and Javascript etc.., something in the evenings probably. I have a degree in computer systems and worked in IT support for a number of years.
    What's the chances of getting a job in web development? Would I have to do some freelance work first to get a portfolio?

Thanks.....
    I personally would self teach myself in your position. You already have a computer systems degree so you should be some what familiar with the basics already.

And having some qualification in web development probably won't get you far, especially since you already have a computer systems degree. A portfolio is probably what gets you the job in the end of a day assuming you already got a relevant degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I personally would self teach myself in your position. You already have a computer systems degree so you should be some what familiar with the basics already.

And having some qualification in web development probably won't get you far, especially since you already have a computer systems degree. A portfolio is probably what gets you the job in the end of a day assuming you already got a relevant degree.

Thanks. I'm already familiar with HTML and SQL, and I've also done some object-oreiented programming in C++. I've never touched PHP or Javascript before though.
    Should I just begin self-learning and advertise my services in the local paper for extremely low money?

Advertisement