Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unions call to not pay mortgages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Great besides Joe Soap having to pay over inflated PS wages (21bn/yr) now they will definitely cause the banks go bankrupt. I have being toying with the idea of moving my savings, nearly 100k and today going into bank to arrange for them to go to bank in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Holy god!!!! Who in this country owes you ANYTHING??? If you can't afford to live where you want, TOUGH!!!! What an attitude!! Who was forcing you to live outside of Dublin?? Who cares if your ancestors were the vikings who founded Dubh Linn, if you cannot afford to buy a house within your means here, either rent until you can afford it, or move away!! Its simple!! Ireland is a tiny country, you'll never be more than 4/5 hours away from your family or "connections". No-one was forcing you into the Arctic wastelands!!

This is the prevelant irish attitude thats ruining the country, i'm entitled to this, i'm entitled to that. Berties entitled to a driver and a huge pension, all of the bank chiefs are entitled to golden handshakes and massive pensions, scroungers who have been on the dole all of their life are entitled to all of their benefits. From the top down this country is all about what your entitled to rather than what you can do to help the country as a whole. Its pathetic!!!

Jesus Effing Christ would you listen to this rant. Always the ubiquitous "what's ruining the country" sh!t. I've heard this pile of puke spouted since the 70's. Someone takes a day off work just for a break...."no wonder the country's ruined!". Mini skirts on girls or long hair on boys is in fashion...."no wonder the country's ruined!". Somebody gets paid to paint an art nouveau mural on the side of a building..."no wonder the country's ruined!!"

Would you ever get the FCUK OVER yourself. Now that, my friend, is pathetic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Can you possibly show us a link to an article/webpage/anything at all which shows a mature free market economy where they stop people from buying property due to their marital/family status, like you are suggesting??

Back up there, pal. There are plenty of places on this planet where foreigners are not allowed to buy property because it would completely price the locals out of the market.
    I know that Mexico is a bit of a basket case but you can't buy property there unless you are a Mexican citizen. Can you imagine if that weren't the case? Millions of fat, rich Americans would snap up apartments and houses and villas and fincas for pennies and "Jose and Maria" would be forced to live in tents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭motherriley

Jesery was almost impossible to buy a home in, haver a look at the links below

http://www.countrylife.co.uk/property/guidesbuy/article/68122/Property-Guide-Jersey.html

http://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/opinion/a-sunshine-island-where-only-rich-folks-are-at-home/1010230.article

Also it was only in the 60's in hte UK when it was made law that a woman could buy a property in her own right before then a male signature on the deeds:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Who brought foreigners into the argument?? What a way to deflect!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Jesery was almost impossible to buy a home in, haver a look at the links below
    I didnt realise they'd actually relaxed the criteria, I had understood they'd tightened them recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

hmmm wrote: »
    The great thing about the Internet is we have a record of all the online conversations that were had during the boom. It easily disproves any argument that people were "just trying to put a roof over their head".

this here from 2006 from yourself
    hmmm wrote:
    As we are heading into the inevitable house price fall, people should be careful about where they buy. If you are in a position of negative equity, you will be all but prevented from selling your house and moving elsewhere. People who are being fed this bull about "property ladder" and are buying houses in places they hate will be in trouble.

In the UK, they were the first group to hand back the keys to the mortgage lenders and accept a life of crippling debt.

That thread is mind-numbing, I was working in Dublin at that time and i could not understand the madness that taken over then, still dont. We actually have people on record comparing Dublin to London! page 3 alone is worth reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    this here from 2006 from yourself

That thread is mind-numbing, I was working in Dublin at that time and i could not understand the madness that taken over then, still dont. We actually have people on record comparing Dublin to London!

When you see threads like that you have to wonder about the neck of people then coming on here and saying that nobody told them and nobody saw it coming and the government told them to do it and we should all bail them out now.

Godge wrote: »
    When you see threads like that you have to wonder about the neck of people then coming on here and saying that nobody told them and nobody saw it coming and the government told them to do it and we should all bail them out now.

Well anyone asking for bailout should be shown this post here below and told to hang in there for 25/30 years :eek:
    Crash or no crash, anything you buy now will be worth seriously more in 25/30 years time.
    Bottom line: you never lose money on bricks and mortar in the long run.

Jokes aside, I do honestly think we need the bankruptcy laws to move rapidly to a more American model, where being bankrupt once or twice in your life is considered normal.
    A model where failure is allowed and is part of the system and the economy moves on, their housing bubble is over and done there now, and people are trying get on with their lives.

The current system we have does not allow failure which then leads into a negative loop and creates a more unstable system where now the state itself is about to fail. If anything the current system just prolongs the pain with the likes of NAMA distorting the market and hanging over everything like a bad smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

It's a mystery, along the lines of it being impossible to find anyone who voted for Fianna Fáil in 2007, even though 47% of the electorate did so according to the outcome.

Completely traditional, of course - nobody knows how the entire population of Ireland fitted into the GPO in 1916 either.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Well anyone asking for bailout should be shown this post here below and told to hang in there for 25/30 years :eek:

Jokes aside, I do honestly think we need the bankruptcy laws to move rapidly to a more American model, where being bankrupt once or twice in your life is considered normal.
    A model where failure is allowed and is part of the system and the economy moves on, their housing bubble is over and done there now, and people are trying get on with their lives.

The current system we have does not allow failure which then leads into a negative loop and creates a more unstable system where now the state itself is about to fail. If anything the current system just prolongs the pain with the likes of NAMA distorting the market and hanging over everything like a bad smell.

Agree, but bankrupt should mean bankrupt and everywhere else in the world that includes selling off the family home which is a problem here given the ownership rights of spouses. Why do you think Quinn is trying to give his grandchildren shares in his cement company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Eire 80

Especially considering 20-25 years ago the rates we hitting high teens.

Course I did I was paying 5.65 percent 3 years ago without a problem as i had a full time permanent job. 20-25 years ago one could sell up and get close to what they paid for their property/land!. Whether people like it or not the **** is going to hit the fan in relation to mortgage default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

well , well , well , why i'm i not surprised these parasties don't have mortgages (they live on planet dail Earinn

i would certainly back Gene Kerrigans idea in last week's sindo , where he stated instead of pay cut in the PS etc and having to face the union's and strike etc ,
    they should impose 100% tax on everything a person earn's , over €80,000 a year right across the board , private, public sectors' judges semi states ,
    seem's like a good idea , €80,000 a year is certainly aenough money to live a decent life with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

careca11 wrote: »
    well , well , well , why i'm i not surprised,

i would certainly back Gene Kerrigans idea in last week's sindo , where he stated instead of pay cut in the PS etc and having to face the union's and strike etc ,
    they should impose 100% tax on everything a person earn's , over €80,000 a year right across the board , private, public sectors' judges semi states ,
    seem's like a good idea , €80,000 a year is certainly aenough money to live a decent life with.

:pac::pac::pac:
    worst idea ever.

If you were CEO of a major company based in Ireland on say 500k. Today you get at least half that after tax, 250k. with the above you get about 55-60k of the 80 and nothing above.
    Why the hell would you stay here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

well , well , well , why i'm i not surprised these parasties don't have mortgages (they live on planet dail Earinn

Not really a 'good idea' - more a kind of 'rabble-rousing, playing to the gallery, typical irish begrudgery' idea.

No doctors, no dentists, no multi-nationals. Albania under the communists would have been a better place.

Agree, but bankrupt should mean bankrupt and everywhere else in the world that includes selling off the family home which is a problem here given the ownership rights of spouses. Why do you think Quinn is trying to give his grandchildren shares in his cement company?

Of course, moving assets in wife's name and so on is highly illegal just about everywhere else yet here being blatant in your attempts to hide assets in face of bankruptcy seems like the order of the day.

:pac::pac::pac:
    worst idea ever.

If you were CEO of a major company based in Ireland on say 500k. Today you get at least half that after tax, 250k. with the above you get about 55-60k of the 80 and nothing above.
    Why the hell would you stay here?

He would stay because he would not get it anywhere else due to the global recession. This as well as maybe being settled in Ireland would s/he want to uproot his family for money..... All CEO's are getting less and that is how it should be.....

All CEO's are getting less and that is how it should be.....

why's that then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

why's that then?
    We need to punish those that are doing better in life than we are. If you can't beat them....join then your just not hitting hard enough!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Eire 80

Of course, moving assets in wife's name and so on is highly illegal just about everywhere else yet here being blatant in your attempts to hide assets in face of bankruptcy seems like the order of the day.

Can have my house no prob, in fact I insist!!, I have no problem giving up my 'family home' just after costing me another 45 euro a month. If you think those of us in the real **** are afraid of losing our homes you have another thing coming to you. Ill happily rent for the rest of my life.

People are taking out their anger on the mortgage holder as they are an easy target, people still feel they have too much to loose if we riot over, overpaid civil servants/td's/retiring public sector workers wheneverything is already lost.

Eire 80 wrote: »
    Can have my house no prob, in fact I insist!!, I have no problem giving up my 'family home' just after costing me another 45 euro a month. If you think those of us in the real **** are afraid of losing our homes you have another thing coming to you. Ill happily rent for the rest of my life.

People are taking out their anger on the mortgage holder as they are an easy target, people still feel they have too much to loose if we riot over, overpaid civil servants/td's/retiring public sector workers wheneverything is already lost.

Why are you taking your anger out at me? :confused:

I am one of the few posters in this thread who keeps pointing out that what would really help people in this position are real bankruptcy laws, not a half-arsed bailout at expense of everyone including the people being bailed out.

sarumite wrote: »
    We need to punish those that are doing better in life than we are. If you can't beat them....join then your just not hitting hard enough!

CEO's in Ireland on 500k are not worth more than President of US and on a Salary $400,000 annually and the US has over 500 million people.

Also the UK has 60 million people and the PM get a Salary £142,000 .

How can a CEO's of Ireland where there is a population of 5 million people be paid more than the US president....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

I think its the perverseness of the situation that upsets people who are struggling to keep their homes. The banks could no longer honor the debts/contracts they committed to so we (the Irish people) pay their debts for them (essentially). When we (the Irish people) can no longer honor our debts to the these banks there is NO bail out to help us.
    Kind of makes people think 'why did we bail these banks out in the first place?'

We bailed out the banks so we can have a healthy banking system

oh wait :rolleyes:

CEO's in Ireland on 500k are not worth more than President of US and on a Salary $400,000 annually and the US has over 500 million people.

300 odd, not 500.
    how many CEOs have thier own 747 (or several), have an entire military at their disposal, get somewhere for the White house for free etc? any modern US president will make far more after they leave office based on the fame of it alone anyway so high pay needn't be an issue

How can a CEO's of Ireland where there is a population of 5 million people be paid more than the US president....?

what's population got to do with pay? CEOs of private companies are there to make their companies money and have to be remunerated accordingly for what they bring. Politics is a whole different ball game and not comparable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

What does politics have to do with a CEO's job? Lets start comparing apples to apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

Both US President and UK Prime Minister become multi-millionaires from their job. Comparisons like yours don't really help much

Both president and prime minister have a lot more responsible then any CEO and at the end of the day it is a job that gets an annual wage....is it not…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Both president and prime minister have a lot more responsible then any CEO and at the end of the day it is a job that gets an annual wage....is it not…..

I think this statement somewhat demonstrates a total lack of understanding of how the top end of the job market works.

I think a lot of people don't get the top end of the job market, or how it works.

Advertisement