Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not a customer, but amount withdrawn

Options
  • 06-07-2011 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

A recent bank statement has a listing of

OP/E.S.B. SUPPLY - €300

I don't have an ESB account, and can't figure out how this money was taken from my account, or why.

As I don't have an account, who could I talk to in ESB about this? I'll be contacting my bank as soon as they open, but would like to figure out how this happened. There are no other details on the statement.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Thoie,

Can you PM me the bank details and the time/date the amount was debited? I will then be able to investigate this for you.

Thanks,

David.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If it is not breaching any of your personal privacy is there any chance you could tell us how this happened? Was there a direct debit involved?

How can your bank stand over the lack of protection for your account?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

dub45 wrote: »
    If it is not breaching any of your personal privacy is there any chance you could tell us how this happened? Was there a direct debit involved?

How can your bank stand over the lack of protection for your account?

I'm dealing with this offline, so won't share the specifics here. David from Electric Ireland has kindly talked to me by PM about this.

The "OP" in the bank statement stands for Originator Plus - from what I gather this indicates that the Originator (the ESB in this case) is a trusted company, and therefore they don't have to back up every transaction with paperwork to the bank (though I presume they have to keep the paperwork on file in case of queries).

My reading of it is that companies have to go through some kind of screening process to gain the Originator Plus title.

I previously had an ESB account, which I had closed with no outstanding balance over a year ago. I'm not sure if I had specifically cancelled the DD with the bank when I closed my ESB account (I'll need to go search through my records over the weekend). It's possible that I hadn't. It's debatable whether I should have had to. I certainly will do in future.

It appears to me that somewhere along the line my bank account details had become attached to someone else's ESB account. The amount taken looks like a security deposit for a new account.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closed at OPs request. Matter is being dealt with elsewhere.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement