Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have a great idea... but I'd love some advice

• 06-07-2011 8:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

I’ve been a freelance and full-time writer for the past four years and until a couple of nights ago, I’d have never considered the possibility of writing a book. However, an idea plonked itself inside my brain this week and I already think that it’s something that could be potentially huge. It’s an idea that I think is easily understandable, sellable and could be sold in plenty of regions worldwide without any alterations.

If anything, I can’t believe that no-one else has written this book yet or stumbled upon the same idea, so I really feel like I’ve got to hit the ground running and get someoe in the industry, any agent really, to at least listen to my pitch ASAP. It’s something that I believe could be easily marketable around the world and as of right now, I know that unless I write this book first, someone else will do it very, very soon.

Without wanting to get too specific about the content, the book itself would be humorous in tone and list-based (I realise there are probably some extremely talented authors out there groaning at that sentence – my apologies). There would be 100 examples, and roughly 500 words for each (if I told you the subject, you’d understand that it would be detrimental for the target audience to get into too much detail for each), so the book itself would be at least 50,000 words in total and spread across ten chapters of 10 examples each. I’m thinking of putting together at least 20 examples, 20% of the finished book, with any proposals to literary agents that I’m going to send out.

I suppose the advice I’m seeking is pretty obvious – am I on the right track? This has all came together, structurally, very quickly, but I do believe that I’m onto something. Would I have enough in the figures I’ve posted above to start knocking on doors or should I perhaps write the entire book first and hope no-one else is pitching the same idea in the meantime?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Write the book, write the book, write the book. Forget everything else until it's finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Many men have had an idea, the struggle is turning the idea into a tangible force.

Write the book first. Don't run before you can walk. While your eager to get this out there and anxious, its best to have a completed piece to pitch rather than just a sample. Publishers/ agents can and will then suggest edits and alterations on the work obviously not all to your own satisfaction but at least you have the frame to build the work in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

List based? Humorous? I'm there. Whether I could say I'm a talented author too, but I'll leave it to others to judge. What would the subject of your lists be? Dare I say it? This is the sort of book that would make a great loo read - in the nicest possible way! There's a popular genre of books that feature lists, like The Meaning of Tingo or The Little Book of sh&te.

Good luck. And as the others say, walk, don't run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

If it's non-fiction, you can submit a proposal to an agent or a publisher and see if they'll commission it - this is a bit more normal for non-fiction and if you've writing experience already it helps. If it's fiction, write the book first, as others have said.

>> If anything, I can’t believe that no-one else has written this book yet or stumbled upon the same idea <<

Keep in mind that publishers take on projects 1-2 years before the books actually hit the shelves, so there may well be something in the works, if it is as timely an idea as you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. I think I'll keep the head down as some of you have recommended but I'll make sure that at least 50% is written before I start proposing the book, as it's non-fiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

As it's your first, I would write the whole thing. You have a much better chance of a good reaction to a complete book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

As a complete newbie, I would probably recommend waiting until you have it finished before going to a publisher. That way you don't have the pressure of "Oh crap, I have to finish this now". If you can walk in with it 100% complete then you are in a much better position I would imagine.

I've recently had an idea for a book myself and I've started writing. No idea if it would ever sell but I'm going to finish it first and see what happens. In fact it turned into an idea for 3 books so I'm actually thinking about finishing all 3 before approaching anyone.

But that's just me. I'm only about 3000 words into the first one so let's see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Hi guys,

Just a quick update for you all. I've had the bulk of what I've written loved by a journalist at the Irish Times and scouted by a colleague of his (who also enjoyed the sample work) but now I'm coming up against a brick wall in that the majority of agents appear interesting in books with 'Irish interest', whereas I'm working on a humour title which commercial viability is in that's dealing a universal theme.

Do you guys reckon I should just focus my energies on trying US and UK agents or are there Irish agents out there looking for broad humour titles? I do feel a little disheartened at the moment regarding the project to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If it's not confined to Irish humour, then I don't see any reason to stay in Ireland when you search for an agent or publisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

If you're feeling disheartened by agents - think of the genius record company producers who turned down The Beatles with such gems as 'Guitar groups are on the way out' and 'The Beatles have no future in show business!'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I was reading an article recently by an English author who had one novel published. He said that the book was critically well-received, and sold reasonably well for a debut, and yet when he went looking for an agent afterwards he still struggled to find one that would take him.

Advertisement