Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best buggy??

Options
  • 06-07-2011 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Hi All just wondering what buggies you think are the best quality, value for money. I have used a bugaboo when i was working as an Au Pair and found it great so light and easy to use and I would love one but they are very expensive even 2nd hand although I know they are worth it not sure if I have enough money for one. I really want a buggy from birth to toddler must be good for bringing to the beach as we live beside it :) and also have to option to have toddler facing you. Don't mind buying 2nd hand will probably get a 2nd hand one.
    Any brands you recommend to stay away from?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

For the beach you will need big wheels and pneumatic tyres.
    I can't get our stroller or graco quattro across the sand.
    Do you need it to fold small?
    Does it need to be light?
    Do you want it to be a travel system?
    will it be used on trains or buses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Thanks doesnt need to fold so small but not a big bulky or very heavy one either:) what do you mean by travel system? dont need an infant car seat as getting one form my sister and would prefer a buggy with a cot rather than car seat type for newborn.
    Wont be using on trains or buses very much. Maybe the bus the odd time short trip into town if the weather is bad and I really need something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

We have had a few over the years:) I had a big heavy Brittax for my DD & tbh that think was unbreakable & served us well for 2 yrs however started driving & it didnt fit in the boot.
    Mc Clarens are great for quick trips to the shop etc..

I have a Bugaboo Frog for my DS & LOVE IT - managed to pick one up second hand for a really good price & it is in as new condition...

Just to throw it out there I am selling a Brand New Mamas & Papas Sola with Carrycot in Cityscape colour .. Carrycot clips on & perfect for the early days, buggy can face either way..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

We have a Quinny Buzz, good pram/buggy with the cool gas powered fold up/down system but it does not like the beach. Front wheel gets clogged with sand and siezes up, makes it very difficult to turn. Took it apart and cleaned it a few times and it helped but ended up having to get a replacememt front wheel unit from the Quinny distributors in Dublin.

They replaced it without quibble though I have to say.

marley123 wrote: »
    We have had a few over the years:) I had a big heavy Brittax for my DD & tbh that think was unbreakable & served us well for 2 yrs however started driving & it didnt fit in the boot.
    Mc Clarens are great for quick trips to the shop etc..

I have a Bugaboo Frog for my DS & LOVE IT - managed to pick one up second hand for a really good price & it is in as new condition...

Just to throw it out there I am selling a Brand New Mamas & Papas Sola with Carrycot in Cityscape colour .. Carrycot clips on & perfect for the early days, buggy can face either way..

Is it good on the beach? This is a must for us.

• Advertisement

Mr Magners wrote: »
    We have a Quinny Buzz, good pram/buggy with the cool gas powered fold up/down system but it does not like the beach. Front wheel gets clogged with sand and siezes up, makes it very difficult to turn. Took it apart and cleaned it a few times and it helped but ended up having to get a replacememt front wheel unit from the Quinny distributors in Dublin.

They replaced it without quibble though I have to say.

Thanks will stay away from Quinny buzz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Honestly , Im not sure - but tbh the Bugaboos are probably one of the only buggies suitable for the beach due to the big wheels & the fact that the smaller wheels fold up underneath.

marley123 wrote: »
    Honestly , Im not sure - but tbh the Bugaboos are probably one of the only buggies suitable for the beach due to the big wheels & the fact that the smaller wheels fold up underneath.

Thanks will probably save up and splash out on 2nd and one :) first baby so why not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

I just thought of something...

Phil & Ted's. I know they're designed for 2 kids but they have loads of storage when you've only the one and it's an investment if you think you might be having a second in the future, saves the expense of buying a second buggy. Also, with 3 pneumatic tyres they go like billy-o on the beach.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Phil and Teds,Quinni Speedi,out and about nipper,Britax B smart,maxi cosi mura(best buggy ever imo)Jane Slalom,mountain buggy, can't think of any others off hand,are all suitable for the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I've just bought my 4th buggy/stroller :eek:

At this stage I have spent €300 only but what a collection of broken buggies I have. I'm just too hard on them and load them up like a moore street trader. I could break a bugaboo or a phil & ted just as quickly so best not to overspend in my case. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Ive used Graco, Chicco, Jayne twin two, Cosatto , Mclaren and one begining with a B also was a twin buggy. The best by far were the Chicco and Jayne.

The lighter chicco was great loved it, the Jayne was larger as it was a twin buggy but you could also get single buggies, i still have the chicco and my guys 4 and ive had it since he was around 6 months it is suited from birth, the ease of control is the best bit about it, it also comes with a cosy toes which is great for winter.

simular to this one http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3767766/Trail/searchtext%3ECHICCO.htm

This buggy - love it so much http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/chicco-liteway-pushchair---glamour/667236195.prd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Grawns wrote: »
    I've just bought my 4th buggy/stroller :eek:

At this stage I have spent €300 only but what a collection of broken buggies I have. I'm just too hard on them and load them up like a moore street trader. I could break a bugaboo or a phil & ted just as quickly so best not to overspend in my case. :o

I had 5 buggies for my first lady

1 chicco buggy for my 2nd guy but had to then get twin buggies when the 3rd guy came and i had 2 of those ( one one in front of the other and one side by side) and then i got another chicco stroller as i gave the bigger version to a friend who just had a newborn. also had to pick up a 2 cheap strollers for holidays as i didint want to get the new stroller broken and the twin one was to big and bulky and we needed separate strollers.

lost count now on how many we had...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

We have a Quinny Buzz and I love it. Its very sturdy, has the carry cot and the seat can be front or rear facing. You can buy all terrain tyres for the front and they come as standard on the back. Not sure how good they are though as we just have the standard wheels on the front.

Our daughter is now 18months old and I can honestly say that although our prem looks used, it by no means looks worn. I'll definately be using it for any future additions to the family!

The only thing I would say is that with the little lady in it now, it can be VERY heavy to push. But she likes to walk most of the time so its not a huge problem!

How do you go through so many buggies?
    I have the maxi cosi for my now 2 1/2 year old,it was the best buy ever,despite heavy usage it is still perfect.
    The storage in the creche was a tiny cupboard with about 50 buggies in it so when she was a bit older I bought a Petit Zia but only ever used it for the creche.
    Have to use a double buggy now for long walks as I have a 5 month old too.
    hmm maybe I see how people could have so many buggies!

I can tell this is going to be a very hard decision to make!!! :)

It is like buying a new car!!!
    Go test drive a few!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

My new Maclaren stroller arrived today:D1309952518.jpg

I didn't get this colour as I don't do pink and Bridget doesn't care yet.
    I have made a promise to the buggy to be nice to it and not treat it like a bet down cart horse. Hee hee- the best of intentions

lol!
    happy new buggy:)
    Buggies should be sent to you for testing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My Zia is in bits already... it gets some knocks :\ there's a tear in the shopping basket...

I've had a NeoNato travel system, a Graco Century stroller, my lovely <3 it forever and would buy another if I had to Zia 4 and a crappy double tandem stroller Marco Tandem Sky, which I hardly use... oh and a Maclaren Twin Techno which was ok, but very heavy even though it's the most lightweight double on the market!

• Advertisement

The out n about nipper is lighter then the Mc Laren Twin Techno by about 2kg:)
    The McLaren is more compact though.

My Zia has a tear in the shopping basket too,dunno how though as it is mostly inaccessible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Didn't find one that did everything. We ended up with a few different ones. Some others passed on two us, and we've passed on ones we weren't using, or didn't suit. One of our best buys was a Out and About double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 springchicken

Anyone have any opinions on the phil and ted explorer. Its a double buggy.

Advertisement