Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have i missed the boat this year?

Options
  • 06-07-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

With work getting quieter and quieter on a weekly basis im starting to think my best option is to go back to college.

Im hoping someone can answer a few questions for me;
    1- Is it too late to go back this september considering i didnt fill out the cao form?
    2- Can people who are working part-time and claiming JSA go on to claim BTEA?
    3- If i already have a level 7 qualification is it true that i must do a level 8 in order to receive BTEA?

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭who what when

Can anyone help?
    Its only 3 one word answers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

With work getting quieter and quieter on a weekly basis im starting to think my best option is to go back to college.

Im hoping someone can answer a few questions for me;
    1- Is it too late to go back this september considering i didnt fill out the cao form?
    2- Can people who are working part-time and claiming JSA go on to claim BTEA?
    3- If i already have a level 7 qualification is it true that i must do a level 8 in order to receive BTEA?

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond.

1) Yes too late, deadline was 1st february
    2) Unsure
    3) Unsure

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭trishawisha

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

Rules

You must be at least 21 years of age (24 years of age for a third-level postgraduate course) to qualify for the Back to Education Allowance. For exceptions to the age limit - see below.
    If you wish to attend a second level course you must be getting one of the social welfare payments listed below for at least 3 months (78 days of unemployment*) immediately before you start the course.
    If you wish to attend a third level course you must be getting one of the social welfare payments listed below for 9 months (234 days of unemployment*)immediately before you start the course.
    *If you are getting a jobseeker's payment, each day you are unemployed, except Sunday, is counted as a day of unemployment.
    Qualifying social welfare payments are: Im not sure of the amount of days you are claiming JSA... I hope this helps.
    I would go into either citizens information or your local friendly social welfare office for clarification

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JD81

Hi,
    Yes its too late, but i know a friend of mine who is unemployed applied for the springboard courses, a number of colleges are taking part, with a variety of part time courses for the unemployed, check bluebrick.ie to check if theres any near you, as far as i know you can apply for another week or so before it closes. Might be worth doing for a year and then applying through cao next year for a full time course.
    Hope this helps.

JD81 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yes its too late, but i know a friend of mine who is unemployed applied for the springboard courses, a number of colleges are taking part, with a variety of part time courses for the unemployed, check bluebrick.ie to check if theres any near you, as far as i know you can apply for another week or so before it closes. Might be worth doing for a year and then applying through cao next year for a full time course.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks, yes this was my next option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

1. You can apply through CAO for Vacant Places for third level courses starting in September. This facility usually becomes available in late August and can be accessed here.
    http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=vpl_enter

2. Yes as long as you are getting any form of Jobseekers you can apply for BTEA.

3. In general you need to be progressing rather than repeating a level or going backwards. However BTEA is not a statutory payment. It can be awarded at the discretion of the local Job Facilitator in DSP. They can award the payment to students who may not exactly fit the eligibility criteria.

Paperlip2, thanks very much thats exactly the information i was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kingdolly

Hi all just wondering i will be in recieving a Training allowance from FAS prior to the course starting will i be eligible for a place on the springboard course?

Advertisement