Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caller ID

Options
  • 06-07-2011 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

When I call someone (my mobile for example)from my landline my number shows up as blocked. Is this a default setting or must someone have asked for it at some point? Is there anyway to make sure my number shows up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Is it with Eircom? Phone them up and get them to remove the service. You probably asked not to be shown in directory enquiries when you signed up. I done the same thing. Didn't now my number would be blocked. Must phone up myself to get it removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Caller ID is set up to either display or hide your number by your phone company. If you default setting is incorrect, you should ring whichever company your line rental is with and they will sort it out.

In the meantime, there are two prefix codes that override the default settings on your line. Just dial them before any call you make:

To force the exchange to display the number:

142 ----

To force the exchange to hide the number:

141 ----

If you have an issue with your Sky box, just stick 142 in as a dialing prefix in the setup menu (press Services, 4,0,1, select on your sky remote to access hidden menu) Do not insert any pauses or commas after 141. There's no need for them.

The codes for UPC landlines may be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Thinking of moving to UPC but have a couple of questions about caller Id

1. Does UPC display the incoming number on your caller I'd unit when someone rings you

2. When you call someone does your number appea on the phone o he person you are calling.

I also presume her is no problem porting a phone no I hav with smart ove to UPC.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

dingding wrote: »

1. Does UPC display the incoming number on your caller I'd unit when someone rings you

2. When you call someone does your number appea on the phone o he person you are calling.

I also presume her is no problem porting a phone no I hav with smart ove to UPC.

Thanks in advance.

It has all the usual services you get from eircom... caller ID, voicemail, call diversion, call waiting etc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

dingding wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Yes, UPC is generally the same as Eircom and you won't see much of a difference.
    UPC uses VoiP technology which connects to the broadband to create a telephone call. This means it is also a lot better sound and quality at the other end (not a lot of a difference, but is good quality).

You have the option to show as an Unknown number or your existing number when dialling out. UPC can change this easily on their side.

In general, most equipment is compatible with Caller I'd function, and will show the incoming callers Id.
    With regards porting, it usually takes 2 to 4 weeks (6 weeks at the most). This requires a special account number from your current provider and a copy of your bill in some cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Also do you have your own public ip address with UPC. It does not matter if it is fixed or not. Just hat dyndns works with it.

Thanks for the advice previous posters.

Hi Dingding,

All UPC residential customers will have a dynamic IP address set up to use their service. If you cannot open a web page then you may have a static IP address setup on your computer.

If you have any problems, feelfree to post here.

Hope this helps and Good luck!

UPC should work with dyndns.

Advertisement