Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peacefull Protest - Save Dr Sa**am

Options
  • 06-07-2011 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Who is Dr. Sa**am?

Rather an odd name if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

magnumlady wrote: »

Don't think so :confused:

Dr. Sa**am is a very unusual name though.

Anything with ** is I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

magnumlady wrote: »
    No the one you referred to is actually about something really important. I am hoping that the other one ie to save the hospital consultant was not hijacking it.
    I was under that particular consultant two yrs ago and found him really unprofessional. It was the height of the initial swine flu scare and we asked him about getting (what the world was waiting for) the vaccination just before it was due to come on stream. Asked him about when he felt it was due. He adamantly and assertively claimed he hadnt heard about any such vaccination. More worryingly was that he said that there was NO WAY that a swine flu vaccination was ever going to happen. There would be one for HIV before any swine flu vaccination could happen. Less than a month later the couple of jabs were licenced and priortised for pregnant women. Now I like to think that we are well read so we werent bothered by this shocking ignorance and tried to change from him, but were told it would be too late to do so and sure the midwives will be at the forefront anyway etc. But we were worried, but we were deeeply worried about others that might need him as a source of expertise......:eek:

He is a gentleman apparently though is the biggest compliment I keep hearing. And oh yes our first recommendation about him at our initial meeting by one nurse was that he was 'easy on the eye' . I tend to want more than that tbh. :rolleyes::(

Unusual spelling alright! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 mky17

Im new to boards and Im moving back to sligo after a couple of years away.......but arent ye all very clever

Dont be soooo smart - I'm sure if any of ye are from Sligo ye will know who the doc in question is - and good for anyone supporting him - hopefully people power will turn this one around......

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

When there is a media campaign that is totally positive in its praise of the Doctor in question I think people are entitled to give a different perspective. This is a well trained and well paid person who would no doubt have little trouble gaining another post. Its not as if the post is been removed, he went for the interview with other candidates and was not successful. If there is a european employment law aspect then its a different story. However I believe there are far more pressing and urgent things in the health service that protests and energy could be aimed towards.

I just find it a little uncomfortable to have such a personalised campaign to save a Doctor who wasnt successful in an interview when people are lying on trolleys, young nurses training and struggling to gain meaningful employment etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

When there is a media campaign that is totally positive in its praise of the Doctor in question I think people are entitled to give a different perspective. This is a well trained and well paid person who would no doubt have little trouble gaining another post. Its not as if the post is been removed, he went for the interview with other candidates and was not successful. If there is a european employment law aspect then its a different story. However I believe there are far more pressing and urgent things in the health service that protests and energy could be aimed towards.

I just find it a little uncomfortable to have such a personalised campaign to save a Doctor who wasnt successful in an interview when people are lying on trolleys, young nurses training and struggling to gain meaningful employment etc etc

As far as I know (and heard), he was not even given an interview, which after 4 years of impecable service, where he is so respected by his patients and staff alike seems very odd.
    If this is true than there is something very sinister going on at SGH.

northknife wrote: »
    As far as I know (and heard), he was not even given an interview, which after 4 years of impecable service, where he is so respected by his patients and staff alike seems very odd.
    If this is true than there is something very sinister going on at SGH.

Thats a pretty important detail that would need to be clarified with regards to an interview. Could it not simply be the case there were other more qualified/experienced candidates for the permanent position?

I really don't think that people would organise and hold a protest march for this unless the man was highly respected and also extremely good at his job.I know from various people that he was genuinely one of the best doctors that they have ever been to and would have no problem with him what so ever.Have at look at the facebook page to see what people think of him.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Dr-Sallam-4-Sligo/219219751442454

• Advertisement

I really don't think that people would organise and hold a protest march for this unless the man was highly respected and also extremely good at his job.I know from various people that he was genuinely one of the best doctors that they have ever been to and would have no problem with him what so ever.Have at look at the facebook page to see what people think of him.

Well said - and i do agree there are alot of pressing issues but i think enough has been taken for the people of sligo - and why not try and fight for a good doctor to stay! especially for the women of sligo!!

I realise he is popular with some people but that doesnt automatically entitle you to a position. If HSE recruitment are looking at candidates im fairly sure they will look at education, experience, expertise etc. If candidates applied who were better qualified/experienced than Dr Salam then surely this cant be disputed?

mky17 wrote: »
    Well said - and i do agree there are alot of pressing issues but i think enough has been taken for the people of sligo - and why not try and fight for a good doctor to stay! especially for the women of sligo!!

Who is to say that the new Doctor will be any less capable/competent or professional? I am still failing to see what gives Dr Salam the right to an automatic permanent position if the established recruitment procedure has been followed. It is not a popularity contest.

I realise he is popular with some people but that doesnt automatically entitle you to a position. If HSE recruitment are looking at candidates im fairly sure they will look at education, experience, expertise etc. If candidates applied who were better qualified/experienced than Dr Salam then surely this cant be disputed?

I agree 100%.The last thing I would want would be for anyone to get a job just because of who they know rather than what they know. Afaik Dr. Sallam has been there for over 4 years and before that I think he was in Wexford and the patients there were sorry to see him leave as well.
    I just find it stange that when a doctor is so well liked and respected by both colleagues and patients that it would be a shame to lose someone of his calibre.

mky17 wrote: »
    Im new to boards and Im moving back to sligo after a couple of years away.......but arent ye all very clever

Dont be soooo smart - I'm sure if any of ye are from Sligo ye will know who the doc in question is - and good for anyone supporting him - hopefully people power will turn this one around......

OOh, someone didn't bring their sense of humor with them when they moved back to sligo did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Was at work the other day and was virtually petition mugged by a biddy coercing [in the most Mrs Doyle 'ah ye will' manner] all and sundry into signing their 'support' for him, on the basis that 'you never know, some day somebody you know might need him'!

I politely said no thanks.

Fortunately wasn't asked why, would have been happy to oblige with response.

Basically, this biddy was attempting to guilt all and sundry into signing it -- absolutely shameless. I mean nobody even knew anything about him or the issues at hand, but the 'niceyies' signed up just to oblige. Typically Irish!

Ps - If like some other threads, this board should be locked because his only link with Sligo is that he lives here!

Would you like to explain why you didnt sign the petition that the "biddy" asked you to sign. I havent been asked to sign (and wouldnt either for reasons ive posted about). How exactly were they guilting people into signing? Nice use of the term "biddy" by the way:rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Can someone clarify for me- Is the situation that Dr. Sallam will be let go, and then replaced by another doctor or is Sligo General Hospital losing a Consultant Obstetrician/Gynaecologist post?

Can someone clarify for me- Is the situation that Dr. Sallam will be let go, and then replaced by another doctor or is Sligo General Hospital losing a Consultant Obstetrician/Gynaecologist post?

Not losing a post, position was temporary afaik than they advertised for the permanent position and Dr. Sallam didnt get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 duckie80

I just logged onto this forum for the first time tonight just to vent my anger to certain people posting here....

How dare ye come here talking sh!t about a man and people you do not know about

In Feb of this year i lost my son, i was in sligo GH for 2wks fightening to save him before he was born..Dr sallam was my doctor and still is...
    Dr Sallam is a true gentleman, i am now pregnant and i need this doctor so badly as he knows everything that i went through and he has a plan in place so i wont go through the same nightmare i went through in Feb

Dr Sallam is a highly respected Doctor with 8 qualifications and two fellowships too qualified for sligo, but he wants to stay here he likes it, he has made friends with his patiences..

So please for ye who come on here and say these things have respect for people who genunilly care and want this doc to stay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

So what if the good Dr was your medic. I mean can a newly appointed Doc not read the file?

Don't want to get into personal and private issues, and am sorry to hear about your late child.

Best of luck in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jajjay

I have to say, from what I have heard, this Doctor is a good one and it would be a shame to loose him. I know some of his family aswell and they are nice people.

His plight to stay would have probably have gained more effect if the protests, marches etc etc etc were not associated with the ''H
    " lady from Sligo.

Dr Sallam would have been best advised from being associated with this woman...... a number of people have told me that when they heard of her being associated, they just walked away.

duckie80 wrote: »
    I just logged onto this forum for the first time tonight just to vent my anger to certain people posting here....

How dare ye come here talking sh!t about a man and people you do not know about

In Feb of this year i lost my son, i was in sligo GH for 2wks fightening to save him before he was born..Dr sallam was my doctor and still is...
    Dr Sallam is a true gentleman, i am now pregnant and i need this doctor so badly as he knows everything that i went through and he has a plan in place so i wont go through the same nightmare i went through in Feb

Dr Sallam is a highly respected Doctor with 8 qualifications and two fellowships too qualified for sligo, but he wants to stay here he likes it, he has made friends with his patiences..

So please for ye who come on here and say these things have respect for people who genunilly care and want this doc to stay

I'm sorry, who here is talking shit about anyone?
    My OH had two girls and Dr. Sallam was her doctor. I've no problems with the man. Just because ones experiences with doctor x is good doesn't mean that every single persons experience will be the same, so, to quote what you said, how dare you come on here and criticize others for having an opinion that differs from yours.
    jajjay wrote: »
    I have to say, from what I have heard, this Doctor is a good one and it would be a shame to loose him. I know some of his family aswell and they are nice people.

His plight to stay would have probably have gained more effect if the protests, marches etc etc etc were not associated with the ''H
    " lady from Sligo.

Dr Sallam would have been best advised from being associated with this woman...... a number of people have told me that when they heard of her being associated, they just walked away.

Who be the H now?

So does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on the new gyne women???? Friend is getting a job done and just wondering

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jajjay

Any word where he has gone to?
    A sad loss...

jajjay wrote: »
    Any word where he has gone to?
    A sad loss...

He is still in Sligo - Private - garden hill and quayside centre.......if you have the mon....sadly the person i know doesnt....

Advertisement