Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free up Local disk space help!

• 06-07-2011 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need help with this.
    I own a toshiba.

Right now, its saying 112MB free of 37GB
    Its defragging now but I have done a disk clean up and there wasnt much difference.

Ive also checked my programs and apparently I need one to let others work etc. But I have deleted what I can.
    Honestly, Im not really sure whats taking up so much space.
    I want as much space as possible as my sister wants to use sims 3 on this.
    Help please :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Delete old system restore points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

practice wrote: »
    Delete old system restore points.

How do I do that?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

How old is the computer? Is it a 40GB HDD or partition?

How old is the computer? Is it a 40GB HDD or partition?

Its a toshiba laptop, about 3-4 years old. Had to replace the drive before because it was too full.

Its 37GB?

If you are happy with the way the computer is working now I would just right click My Computer, Click Properties Open system restore tab Then turn off System restore Ignore the warning Click apply.When finished turn it back on immediately You will then have to restart the computer.

• Advertisement

If you are happy with the way the computer is working now I would just right click My Computer, Click Properties Open system restore tab Then turn off System restore Ignore the warning Click apply.When finished turn it back on immediately You will then have to restart the computer.

No, Im not happy as the computer is slowing up!
    And I need a load of GB free!

How much space will that give me?

Is system propeties the one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Clear your browser cache, reduce the amount allocated

Clear out C:\windows\temp and C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp

Disable hibernation if its used

Reduce allocated size of Recycle Bin

Hard to say how many restore points you have. You can check by pretending to use system restore.
    click start -All Programs-Accessories- System Tools- System Restore.
    When you get there Click Next and then just check thro the dates.
    Then click Cancel
    Restore points can take up a lot of space.
    I would turn it off and then back on to see if it does free up space

If by any chance you are using Convert X to burn DVDs this program keeps a copy of created files in a folder and should be emptied

Is system propeties the one?

No Right Click My Computer Then right Click Properties at the bottom

I went to system restore and it said no system restore for my computer??:confused:

• Advertisement

Can You download
    www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

And see what exactly is taking up space

1.53GB is free now from deleting files and disk clean up.

But I need ALOT more space.

the disk is 37GB. I want to try and get 7-10GB free? Is that possible?

Can You download
    www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

And see what exactly is taking up space

Hi

I downloaded that there.
    Music : 17,153 MB :eek:
    Pictures: 1,400MB
    App Data : 988MB

Down further,
    Program Files: 2,391MB

Have you done as "bonzodog2" suggested especially the recycle bin as this is usually set at 12% reduce it to 5%.

Have you turned on and off system restore as there may be old restore points there.

Have you done as "bonzodog2" suggested especially the recycle bin as this is usually set at 12% reduce it to 5%.

Have you turned on and off system restore as there may be old restore points there.

Ive done the recycle alright, several times.

Nope not yet. Im using windows 7.
    It says theres no system restore on this.

Get an external hard disk and move your music there. Have a special temporary folder (I use c:\temp), copy what you listening to there

Can you 'drill down' into program files with that treesize prog and find the biggest ones there ?

Backup all your pictures to an online provider (dropbox etc), burn them to a DVD, make 2 copies, then delete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

You could replace your CD/DVD drive with a HDD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

Install and run ccleaner from Piriform...it will get back some space for you.

Your laptop obviously wasn't supplied with Windows 7 (cos it's 4 years old). What operating system was on it when it was new and was it wiped before installing Windows 7?

Hey. I free'd up space by deleting old podcasts :) 10GB they were taking up :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I'm currently cleaning up a 6yr old computer and the one thing I can't seem to delete is SIMS - from the control panel remove software screen it appears to be taking up 2742MB. when I click on it to remove, the timeclock curser comes up, but it then just bounces back to the exact same asking do I want to remove/change. anyone any thoughts on how to get around this. (I've already removed all the other SIMS expansion packages (ie Pets, Fashion, etc). tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

I'm currently cleaning up a 6yr old computer and the one thing I can't seem to delete is SIMS - from the control panel remove software screen it appears to be taking up 2742MB. when I click on it to remove, the timeclock curser comes up, but it then just bounces back to the exact same asking do I want to remove/change. anyone any thoughts on how to get around this. (I've already removed all the other SIMS expansion packages (ie Pets, Fashion, etc). tks

Program files/dir/uninstal.exe ?

At 6 yrs old I'd be inclined to backup data and clean instal the OS tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Clear your browser cache, reduce the amount allocated

Clear out C:\windows\temp and C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp

Disable hibernation if its used

Reduce allocated size of Recycle Bin

Could you you give a fools step by step for the above please. And when copying files to an External hard drive would you just copy Local c and Local d as that should have all files (in mine anyway)?

Browser cache will depend on which you use. In IE8, Tools->options,General tab,browsing history Settings button,Disk space to use. To clear cache, Delete... button next to the settings button.

Hibernation is controlled from Power Properties (in Control Panel), RecycleBin Properties will let you control RB size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

nessyguin wrote: »
    Program files/dir/uninstal.exe ?

At 6 yrs old I'd be inclined to backup data and clean instal the OS tbh

I managed to uninstall the SIMS (turned off PC and it uninstalled fine when I turned it back on again )and have everything regularly backed up on external HD and do regular disk cleanups and defrag, etc so thats not a problem but tell me what would a clean reinstal of the OS do for the system ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

I managed to uninstall the SIMS (turned off PC and it uninstalled fine when I turned it back on again )and have everything regularly backed up on external HD and do regular disk cleanups and defrag, etc so thats not a problem but tell me what would a clean reinstal of the OS do for the system ?

Glad you got your problem resolved :)

Over time any system will get cluttered with the remains of uninstalled programs , badly written software , obsolete registry entries , bloatware that was shipped with the OS , etc etc . While most things are insignificant in themselves they can aggregate to the point where they significantly affect system performance , even if only through occupying space .

If your system is running fine then well and good , but a clean instal will often give an old machine a new lease of life .

Advertisement