Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara beaches to drive on (teaching)?

Options
  • 06-07-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any decent beaches that the tide goes out on and leaves good solid (preferably non-water permeated ripples) sand that's good for driving on?

Ideally with a bit of space - gonna be teaching my brother how to drive.

I've used the common land out near dunlochan before which is ok, but you're very limited to where the tyres of a low front wheel drive car can go, so I'd rather go beach driving and avoid the risk of him driving through big trenches!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Wouldja not bring him to a quite car park on a Sunday or when the shops are closed in the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd say some big car park too. You don't want to get stuck out there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Car parks or large industrial estates FTW
    I learned in a caravan park near home.

Theres tonnes of them empty in the evening/weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Omey is the first place that springs to mind. But, you're going to ruin the car with salt IMO.

Up and down the road to the golf course in Ballyconneely would be a safe bet, lots of places to get off the road if you meet cars coming and going.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

johngalway wrote: »
    Omey is the first place that springs to mind. But, you're going to ruin the car with salt IMO.

Up and down the road to the golf course in Ballyconneely would be a safe bet, lots of places to get off the road if you meet cars coming and going.

Yeah, the commonage on the right hand side on the way to Connemara Golf Club would be ideal. I think that used to be a soccer pitch at one stage but not sure. Grand extensive and flat ground so that nothing could possibly go wrong!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lezza

mauinghis beach in carna, massive solid area when tide is out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

lezza wrote: »

I'd agree with Tra Mainis (Mweenish) in Carna. It's used by local GAA teams in the winter months for training. Make sure to check the tides and don’t leave it too late to come back to sore, the tide comes in faster than you think. Saw a few cars getting caught out there.

You’d be better off used an empty car park as suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Thanks all - loads of suggestions there!

Looking forward to heading down there, havent been in ages :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Omey Island when the tides out, Wouldn't recommend Ballyconnelly commonage tbh has alot of hidden holes in it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

sand that's good for driving on?
    No such thing really should be avoided at all costs. Sand is highly abrasive and the salt is highly corrosive.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    No such thing really should be avoided at all costs. Sand is highly abrasive and the salt is highly corrosive.

Ah ye, but surely no worse at low speeds than when the roads are gritted & salted??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ah ye, but surely no worse at low speeds than when the roads are gritted & salted??

You've obviously never driven on a sandy beach........

Not since i was tiny, no!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's probably not going to do any damage but you run the very real risk of making a mess of your car, it may even take weeks for the damage to become apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marcia Lustley

lezza wrote: »

think your mistaking maughinis beach for callowfeenish beach, tho i've never heard it being called maughinis it wouldn't be the first time i didn't know the english placename!

But yeah thats where i learnt to drive! Its way easier to just to find a industrial estate imo, because callowfeenish beach can get pretty busy with irish language students and locals :D

Advertisement