Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reseeding question

• 06-07-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I've recently had a contractor reseed4 acres by burning it off, power harrowing it etc....It was coming along fine until the last two weeks where there are loads of weeds..

What should I do, would spraying kill the clover ( reps requirement)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 G.U.R

most reseeds would need a spray after sowing. Its not really a big problem except if there's alot of docks in it. Plenty of clover friendly sprays out there. Just ask in your local co-op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

is it redshank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

whelan1 wrote: »
    is it redshank?

This is an important question. It's important to identify the weeds you have. I wouldn't worry too much at this stage depending on the weed type. Some will die off with grazing and when the grass tillers out, others however are far more persistant, and will require intervention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Legumex or Clovex or similar product (MCPA & 2,4D) applied up to 6ltrs per ha depending on the weeds. whack up a pic and I will let you know what weeds you have and if they need spraying

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pauric Mc

is it long re seeded? are the weeds tall? is it for silage? Meself and a neighbour had the same problem this year. most of those weeds only grow once, ie they wont appear in after grass. we decided to run the topper on them and shear them down, light lick of slurry and theres a wave of lush grass on it now, fit for silage in august. those weeds wont appear again but they do smother grass somethin serious if nothin is done with them, spray is costly and hard on new grass and clover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

have same problem... seeded(oats + grass seed)done in april.. has been grazed since!! for 2 weeks...its full of weeds at mo..docks+thistles... what would ya do--spray!! top....
    was a field--that horses were wintered on, triple k'd it.. a few times just(rough)then spread seed via spreader,,and rolled
    looks bad at mo

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millertime78

Well all, after getting some advice from the ag advisor, I decided to go down Pauric Mc's route and top the field. The ag advisor said that the grass would recover better once the weeds are cut and that spraying at this point is unnecessary.

Will keep ye all posted on developments

Thanks all for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

but if it is redshank and you top it the toppings can smother the new grass

As long as you dont use a mower to top it nothing il get smothered, mower will leave swarths or rows that are a balls, a good topper will mince up the weeds and scatter them a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Pauric Mc wrote: »
    As long as you dont use a mower to top it nothing il get smothered, mower will leave swarths or rows that are a balls, a good topper will mince up the weeds and scatter them a bit

did you do this before grazing it:confused:

Why not just spray it??

Also why are you cutting silage from fresh grass seeds - thats surely 1 of the worst possible things you can do for them

• Advertisement

its not in the grazing block so it wasnt grazed, although if ya have sheep they thicken it up nicely, they wont pull the roots like catle. taking a light cut off it in august or september never done them any harm here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

I've recently had a contractor reseed4 acres by burning it off, power harrowing it etc....It was coming along fine until the last two weeks where there are loads of weeds..

What should I do, would spraying kill the clover ( reps requirement)

How much were you charged to do the full job. Spray, power harrow, fertiliser, etc ...??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Pauric Mc wrote: »
    its not in the grazing block so it wasnt grazed, although if ya have sheep they thicken it up nicely, they wont pull the roots like catle. taking a light cut off it in august or september never done them any harm here

Sheep do thicken grass up very well

Personally we would never cut silage from grass seeds if at all possible

Advertisement