Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend Job

Options
  • 06-07-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey all,
    Im starting a Masters in UCD in September and as I don't qualify for a grant I need to get a loan and, with any luck, a weekend job to pay it off!!
    Are there any good places on campus or near campus I can apply to that take on students?
    Thanks,
    Janet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Depending on the school you are doing your masters in, there may be a number of demonstrator positions available. It's only a couple of hours a week, but post-grads get about 20 quid an hour for demonstrating. Maybe send an email to the school secretary enquiring about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 crazycouchy

Thanks for the advice guys.

What exactly is involved in being a demonstrator?! Sounds like a good option though, thanks for the info.

Janet

A demonstrator is a person that attends the undergraduate tutorials / labs in order to help them with their work. But as I said, it depends a lot on what masters you are doing. I did computer science and was able to be a demonstrator in 4th year of my undergrad, but post-grads are given priority for these roles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

OSI wrote: »
    Dundrum is just down the road, plenty of shops willing to hire students in there.

Maybe a few years ago but every shop in Dundrum is swamped with applicants these days. They can afford to be very picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 crazycouchy

Okay sounds interesting. I'm doing a Msc in Humanitarian Action (part of the College of Life Sciences) but my primary degree was in Journalism.

I don't think I would have much of a chance in Dundrum as I don't have much retail experience but it's worth a try anyway!

• Advertisement

Okay sounds interesting. I'm doing a Msc in Humanitarian Action (part of the College of Life Sciences) but my primary degree was in Journalism.

I don't think I would have much of a chance in Dundrum as I don't have much retail experience but it's worth a try anyway!

I remember when I was doing some Arts electives in first and second year there was usually only the 1 person in charge of the tutorials, whereas in computer science it's more practical based so there was a need for a higher number of demonstrators. But I reckon just fire them an email about it and see what they say, the worst that can happen is they say no.

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Try some pubs in the local areas

Advertisement