Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malahide Surfing

Options
  • 06-07-2011 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Well there.....

In Swords now and again during the summer and looking to make use of the Malahide surf spot. I know it was replaced after the collapse of the Viaduct.

Does anybody have the low down on this ? What tides give the best chance for it to run and the best way to get to it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

It will work on most tides, but the higher the better. Above 3.8 I think it's towards it's best (not been out there a whole lot, so not entirely sure what levels are best). It'll work from about 2 hours after high tide, it's on the sea side of the bridge and forms when the tide is lower on the sea side then in the estuary and the water flows out through a constriction forming the hole. (Almost the complete opposite to how it used to work)

Even at it's best it's shallow. Good for spins, but anything vertical/aerial could be asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

So high tide from 14:27 so it would run from about 16:27 then ?

How long would it last for do you know and any suggestions on parking etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

MugMugs wrote: »
    So high tide from 14:27 so it would run from about 16:27 then ?

How long would it last for do you know and any suggestions on parking etc ?

Yea, that's about right with the tides. Works for ages, until its approaching high tide again, its only a few hours before and after high tide that it doesn't work.

Don't really know for parking, anywhere you can get near the sea, the spot is easy to find, It's under the railway bridge. I know there is plenty of meatered parking near the marinara, not sure if there is any free parking.

Advertisement