Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Au Pair Concerns

Options
  • 06-07-2011 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Currently working abroad as an au pair and I'm minding twin 3 year olds. They wake at 7 and don't go to bed until 9, so its a 14 hour day 6 days a week. I'm still working on getting the kids to come to me before their parents, but frankly they are very disobedient and whinge incessantly far more than any other children I've minded. I don't know if I'm not living up to expectations or whatever, but now they're saying that if I do a course in this thing for 75E, that they would pay for I don't get paid otherwise. Is that fair or no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Currently working abroad as an au pair and I'm minding twin 3 year olds. They wake at 7 and don't go to bed until 9, so its a 14 hour day 6 days a week. I'm still working on getting the kids to come to me before their parents, but frankly they are very disobedient and whinge incessantly far more than any other children I've minded. I don't know if I'm not living up to expectations or whatever, but now they're saying that if I do a course in this thing for 75E, that they would pay for I don't get paid otherwise. Is that fair or no?

A course in what 'thing'?? Surely if it's a course that will improve your child minding skills that a bonus for you as well as them??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Why don't you get paid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Are they saying you won't get paid if you don't do this course?
    What is the course in?
    Your post is unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You are currently working 84 hours a week (14 times 6)? That is waaaay too much to start off with.

As others have said, your post is unclear but if I understand you right, they say they will pay for some sort of training course, but won't actually give you any money, just a room and food? That is definitely not right; while paying for a course- often in the local language- is common, you should also get paid. Do you have a written agreement, or even discussions over email regarding hours, pay and training? Did you find these people privately, via an au pair website, or an agency?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

Your alarm bells are going off, and you're right!
    No this is not fair for them to expect you to work 84 hours per week... without pay!!! If you're not paid, you're not "working".
    No this is not fair for them to expect you are going to be quiet if they pay for a course for you. And by the way, when do you have time to attend?? Never!

If you were an au pair under an agency this situation would be a big no no. The family contract with the agency would probably be terminated after investigation.

I was an au pair myself once and the parents didn't want to have anything to do with the 3 kids (disgusting but sadely true), but at least they had two au pairs, to cover the day from wake up to going to bed. One for the morning shift, and one for the afternoon/evening shift.

By the way, when I vented my concerns to the parents (long story...), the dad asked for my passport. So I knew it was bloody to time to run away!

Au pair doesn't mean that you are supposed to be superwoman. What are the parents doing? Of course the 3 years old twins are disobedient when they want and need their parents! For crying out loud!! They need their parents. No offence to the incredible job that I'm sure you are providing. And on top of that they don't pay you! Well that's a big no no in my books. I don't know if you are doing a favour to friends or family, but if I were you, I wouldn't stay in these conditions.

Life is too short Hun to have to put up with this type of ****e.

Just take this as a good experience that you couldn't buy anywhere else, and move on to another family if you can. Or come home and give yourself time to think.

You don't owe these people anything. If they found you they can find some one else. Don't worry about that.

Take care!

• Advertisement
Advertisement