Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance Query

• 06-07-2011 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Any advice or information would be most welcomed!*

Two months ago I was involved in an accident, which I believe was not my fault! Sorry if the information below is a little vague; it’s just that I don’t want to mention names at this stage!*

The incident happened during a sporting event, a fellow competitor veered into my path to end my race. The sporting event was being hosted by a private sports club & endorsed by the sport’s governing body. The result of the incident lead me to the doors of A&E, followed by two months recovery which didn’t allow me to work!

I made contact with the governing body to enquire what (if any) insurance I had as a member. I was told that it was third party insurance & as there was a fellow competitor involved I could make an insurance claim. I was told that I should send to them in my words what happened & they would take care of it. They would act as the ‘middle person’ to gather all the information & submit the insurance claim on my behalf.

After two weeks the governing body called me to tell me that they were now beginning to look into my claim, & asked if I had any eye-witnesses to corroborate what I had said happened – I didn’t as it was the last thing on my mind as St. John’s Ambulance members scrapped my up from the ground. All I had was the name & mobile number of the fellow competitor who caused the incident, I had this from the day of the race as he texted me to apologies – I gave this information.

I got a call from the governing body earlier this week to give me an update, I was told they have two eye-witness reports. I asked did they corroborate my story, I was told NO! I was told that both have said that I came from behind & therefore in their opinion I was at fault. My reaction to this was that it was a race & it was unavoidable not to come from behind when overtaking a fellow competitor. In my statement I had said I came from behind, this wasn’t the issue – the issue was the fellow competitor didn’t hold his line! I had given approx. 2 meters to pass on his outside but as he travelled diagonally (rather than keep a straight line) with his front wheel crashing into my front wheel.*

I asked for a copy of the eye witness reports but was declined. What can I do from here, as between medical bills, medication, loss of earnings & bicycle repairs I’m out of pocket to the tune of €2,500?

I feel like I’m in limbo, so any pointers be them good or bad (bad being telling me to just write it down as a bad experience) I will be most grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Get a solicitor to deal with it for you. Having an insured body deal with a claim against their insurance, on your behalf, wouldn't necessarily be the best way to proceed with this type of claim.

Advertisement