Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any bookshops in Dublin have a decent range of Zombie lit?

• 06-07-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭

Was in Hodges Figis in town but their selection was tiny, couple of books with short stories. Anywhere else around town? (wont have time to wait for on line delivery)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

silverharp wrote: »
    Was in Hodges Figis in town but their selection was tiny, couple of books with short stories. Anywhere else around town? (wont have time to wait for on line delivery)
    In my opinion there's no such thing. There's world war Z and the zombie survival guide and then there's just a vast ocean of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

ScumLord wrote: »
    In my opinion there's no such thing. There's world war Z and the zombie survival guide and then there's just a vast ocean of nonsense.

Ah, but some of the nonsense is kinda cool and fun to have. A couple of my books I just have as jokes, like the How To Speak Zombie book. And some of the fiction stuff is a good read.

I don't live in Ireland, OP, so I don't know if there'd be either of these stores in Dublin, but I've got most of my books from Barnes and Noble, or Borders. Or I have my local bookstore order in what I want, and it's there in a day or two.

What exactly are you looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Forget about getting much zombie literature in a bricks and mortar shop, your best bet is Amazon or one of the other online retailers. There is a surprising amount of zombie stuff out there, a lot of it is complete garbage but sometimes you do find a gem amongst the muck. The zombie genre is also thriving online, quite a few good comics and e books available for free.

These may already have been posted previously but here are some links:
    The Zombie Hunters (comic)
    Dead Winter (comic)
    Alpha Dogs Journal (online diary about a zombie pandemic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cheers, looked up some "top 10's" so just wanted to get some novels for the hols, interesting that the quality is limitied.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

silverharp wrote: »

A few titles for ya to look out for.

Z. A. Recht's (R.I.P) Plague Of The Dead and Thunder And Ashes (Parts 1+2 of the Morningstar saga, part 3 is still being finished by friends of Recht after his death)

J.L. Bourne's Day By Day Armaggedon and Beyond Exile (Parts 1 + 2 of the Day By Day Armaggedon series)

Jonathon Mayberry's Rot And Ruin (Part 2 Dust And Decay will be released in late September)

David Moody's excellent Autumn series; Autumn, Autumn: The City, Autumn: Purification. (Part 4 in the series Autumn:Disintegration is out around XMas and there is a companion piece book for the first three books which ties up by means of a series of short stories how certain Zeds from the first three boooks became Zeds and how they got to be where they turned up in the three books.)

An Irish man's zombie tale set in Ireland brings us Derek Gunn's The Estuary (He has an interesting series of vampire books as well and has posted in this forum a number of times.)

Then there are a few not quite zombies but close type books and other nasty types

David Moody again with the excellent Hater and Dog Blood Parts 1+2 of another series from the man)

Craig DiLouie's The Infection

Wayne Simmons' The Flu

Brian Keene's Urban Gothic, Darkness On The Edge Of Town, The Rising, City Of The Dead, The Conqueror Worms, and the excellent Dead Sea
    Jack Kilborn's Afraid, Endurance and Trapped

Charlie Higson's The Fear

I have left out lots of other good reads, but hopefully there will be some on that list you have not read yet and you get to pick some up before your holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

If you get a chance to order it I also recommend Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines. A very interesting take on what happens when the superheroes have to face down zombie hordes including some of their own number among them

Advertisement