Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Bianchi bike please??

• 06-07-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I am looking to buy a bike for commuting 4miles each way to work every day that can take panier bags. I want something that changes gears smoothly and gives a good all round enjoyable cycle. My local shop recommended the Bianchi Camaleonte 1. Would anybody have any advice on this bike please?

On the internet, i have seen that this bike comes as a bianchi camaleonte 1 or camaleonte 2 or camaleonte 3. These vary in price from about 650 to about 1000 euros. Can anyone suggest if the extra money is worth the extra spec?

Much appreciated,

K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

1: 8sp rear
    2, 3, 4: 9sp rear.

1, 2, 3: alu fork.
    4: carbon fork.

1, 4: rim brakes.
    2, 3: disc brakes.

Confusingly, the 3 seems more expensive than the 4 on Evans.

Number of gears is irrelevant for your use. Disc brakes are also unnecessary on a hybrid. Carbon fork is arguably nice to have if you're running super-skinny tyres.

Expensive hybrids depreciate heavily. Just get the cheapest one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

4miles is a short distance, if you have no hills in your commute gears are unnecessary and you ll have much more stuff to retain in good working condition. You can always look in a singlespeed bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 KierKenn

Thanks a lot for those replies. Should also mention that I want to use the bike for long distance cycle holiday (around west kerry, cork, etc) about once per year. Anybody else got any suggestions?

KierKenn wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for those replies. Should also mention that I want to use the bike for long distance cycle holiday (around west kerry, cork, etc) about once per year. Anybody else got any suggestions?

What's your budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Advertisement

Budget is 1000

Budget is 1000

The Via Nirone in that case. A great bike.

Lumen wrote: »
    Pretty, but no rack mounts for touring.

D'oh, I missed that bit.

The Bianchi Volpe is apparently decent for touring, but doesn't seem to be available in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Lumen wrote: »
    1: 8sp rear
    2, 3, 4: 9sp rear.

1, 2, 3: alu fork.
    4: carbon fork.

1, 4: rim brakes.
    2, 3: disc brakes.

Confusingly, the 3 seems more expensive than the 4 on Evans.

Number of gears is irrelevant for your use. Disc brakes are also unnecessary on a hybrid. Carbon fork is arguably nice to have if you're running super-skinny tyres.

Expensive hybrids depreciate heavily. Just get the cheapest one.

Good point, seems to fairly few entry level or mid price 2nd had road bikes on the market compared to hybrids.

I'd say optimum value for a hybrid is c. 500-600, after that seriously diminishing returns or you be better off with a road bike.

I aslo agree that signle speed would be better for 4 mile comute.

For commuting + occasional touring seven speed hub gears may be the way to go.

Having siad that, Bianchis are great so maybe just go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Not a Bianchi, and slightly over the grand.

But it ticks all the boxes : Genesis Day One Alfine

single speed isn't as spendy

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Another bike shop has recommended the Kross Evado 1.2. Does anybody have experience of the Kross bikes? how would they compare to bianchi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Another bike shop has recommended the Kross Evado 1.2. Does anybody have experience of the Kross bikes? how would they compare to bianchi?

Looks a bit average really. Polish bikes I believe, about €400?

The Bianchi is more stylish/hip or whatever. Would probably hold it's value better...

Avoid suspension on a bike for the road.

http://kross.pl/eng/rower/102-EVADO_1.2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I gotta agree with the gist of this thread, you shouldn't really spend big money on a hybrid as they lose a lot of money quickly. Get a Bianchi with drops, a proper bike, or if you must buy a hybrid just get a Carrera from Halfords. Perfectly good.

One of my neighbours (a MTBer) bought this for commuting:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=57647

It's really rather nice.

Advertisement