Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyecatching Images of shows in Draiocht

Options
  • 06-07-2011 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Draiocht is celebrating its 10th year of entertaining the masses in Dublin 15 so we'd just like to share some lovely images from the last few years of shows, goings on, our building and the people who've made it all possible.

stage2000.jpg

stage2010.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Its an amazing auditorium. I remember my first time there about 9 years ago to see a Magic show and was suprised when I saw it, I was like "like where did this come from", It was as if it had come out of no where. I was there last year for Don Baker and it still impresses. I must get back soon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Entertainment in Blanch

4546191106_03cb5de566_m.jpg

Hard to forget the beautiful 'European Baskets Exhibition' at Draiocht in April and May 2010, in association with The Crafts Council of Ireland. There were almost 80 of Europe’s leading basket-makers featured and displayed in the Ground Floor Gallery. Not surprisingly this exhibition drew a big crowd and there was a surge in requests for basket making courses!

“Sadly, when the old basket makers die, so too will their traditional baskets,” said Irish basket maker Joe Hogan.

5974501658_c0049cd189_m.jpg

The very first show in Draiocht in 2001 was by local group Coolmine Musical Society who staged 'Oliver' to SOLD OUT houses.

5974502008_ff13603177_m.jpg

And the very first show in Draiocht's small Studio Theatre in 2001 was Lane Productions 'Alone it Stands', the story of how the Munster Team beat the All Blacks 12-0 in Thomand Park in 1978 - the only time any Irish team, national or otherwise, have ever beaten the All Blacks.

This fab play saw the 6 actors play 62 characters in total ... including the Munster team, the Kiwis, the two coaches, the ref, the crowd, the press, a pregnant woman, several children, a dog and even the ball itself.

Written by John Breen, a multitude of different stories interlink to convey the hype and, indeed, nervousness running up to and during the big match. Stories of birth, tragedy and building bonfires prevail, as the play charts the personal tales of various characters and their whereabouts on the momentous day.

Advertisement