Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CSC Deal of the Week

• 06-07-2011 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭

CSC have a deal on a boot mounted bike carrier.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/deal.asp

As would happen, I,m actually in the market for something like this. I have a few questions.

1. Has anybody used this model and what is the feedback
    2. Would I be better off spending the extra money on a roof rack?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Doesn't look very secure. I don't like the idea having nylon straps wrapped around the bike frame.

I wouldn't use this on a car or bikes that I was particularly attached to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Lumen wrote: »
    Doesn't look very secure. I don't like the idea having nylon straps wrapped around the bike frame.

I wouldn't use this on a car or bikes that I was particularly attached to.

Kaboom,he's here all week folks!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

I have the F1B and can't stand it! The bumps aren't big enough to hold bikes apart and they all fall together.

A mate has the Express 3 with proper straps for each bike and it looks much better. Don't know why the MRSP for this is lower than F1B?

As Lumen says - they're just for hack bikes - especially if carrying more than 1 at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭boxty

I have a Hollywood express rack for the last three years and find it great.

It gets used for my bikes (hybrid or road) most weeks throughout the year and during the summers it regularly has my girlfirend's bike attached also. It supposed to be able to take 3 bikes up to 45kg and I have no reason to doubt it but fitting 3 bikes on could be tricky. As a previous poster pointed out, the express has seperate brackets/supports/security straps for the cross bar of each bike so there's very little movement.

It can be attached to the car or taken down in about 5 mins and in my opinion is very secure. I've frequently driven for 4 or 5 hours, much of it across poor roads and it has never loosened or slipped in any way so I'd have to give it a big thumbs up.

I paid about €55 with free delivery from marrey bikes in Mayo. I think CRC were about the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I've had a Hollywood rack for a few years now. It's not that model but basically the same style. I've carried two bikes at a time on a few occasions but only ever with commute bikes. One of the reasons that I haven't used it with my "good" bikes is that the bikes slide up against each other on the rack so the bikes may incur some cosmetic damage - my rack has smooth arms but I can't imagine the ridged arms on the F1B are very good in themselves at keeping bikes from sliding together.

I've also been wary of putting even a lone carbon fibre bike on it because I find the integrated straps are not very good for securing the bike so I use bungee cords and I'm a bit wary (or paranoid depending on your point of view) about lashing a carbon frame up snug against the bars of the rack (my rack has some thin/cheap foam stuck to the bars of the rack to provide minimal protection). If I were changing my bike rack I'd explore the type which suspend the bike by the top tube, with a third attachment point low down to stop the bike from swinging - mind you, I've not used one of that style so they may not be the great solution that I imagine them to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I have the F1B and have successfully carried 3 or 4 bikes across France with it. Yes the bikes squeeze together so a bit of padding between them helps. I use a ratcheting luggage strap to hold them tight.

Advertisement