Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying, Incorrect Pay And Exploitation At Work...What To Do?

Options
  • 06-07-2011 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I hate my job and I feel stuck. I work in a small hotel, get paid minimum wage, work over 50 hours a week, sometimes over 60, WITH NO BREAKS! We're made to sign a paper saying we get them, but we're always on call and rarely get time to just relax or eat a proper meal. Sometimes I can't even finish going to the toilet without my phone ringing and interrupting me!

They were supposed to pay from the 1st July at the higher minimum wage and I got my paycheck for last week and they didn't, which is illegal from my understanding.

My main manager is unkind to all the staff, not just me. But when it comes to myself, she always comes in and listens and watches me like a hawk when I check guests in, she constantly criticises my customer service (sometimes in front of guests) and how I talk to guests (yet guests absolutely love me and staff always get 10/10 on reviews) and she even goes as far as blatantly giving me the cold shoulder in front of guests and won't let me speak to them and just orders me around like I'm a little slave! One time during breakfast, she came in unannounced, with a coffee pot from the breakfast room, STEAMING hot and told me it was cold and to heat it up! I touched it and had to pull my hand away because it was so hot! She just felt the need to order me around I guess! Maybe she just doesn't like me?

Recently, I was on my own as usual, and I cut myself at work while cleaning up. My husband even had to come in from work to help me clean up because there was juice, blood and glass everywhere and I STILL had to check 5 guests in that night with a smile on my face and many other responsibilities to get done and I couldn't cope on my own, thank god he was able to help me! I text a different manager, of that specific hotel, about what happened and she didn't even respond to me yet she answered a text 5 minutes before I sent that one, when I asked a question about her shift, so I know she got my second one about my injury and she didn't even ask if I was ok! She probably thought I was going to ask her to cover my shift so she just ignored it!

So why do I stay at this job? First off, I know how bad it is right now, and I feel lucky to even have a job, especially one that's with so many hours per week, so I'm not ungrateful about that. It's just that I barely have any work history in this country so I'm trying my hardest to get work experience in Ireland, otherwise, it's been hard for any Irish employer to have an interest in my CV (in my personal experience looking for jobs here)...also I'm close to earning my holiday entitlement and I don't want to lose it by leaving early. And don't get me wrong, some days aren't so bad, mainly the days when the manager doesn't come in!

This main manager also doesn't follow HACCP at all in the kitchen, we're told to lie to health inspectors, she hires NO Irish for obvious reasons. I'm growing tired of being treated this way. :confused:

Thanks to anyone who even finished this lol And thanks for your help if you respond! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

If you feel you are being bullied don't say straight out to the manager "you are bullying me". Make sure you say "I feel bullied/intimidated etc". No one can tell you how you feel.

Maybe print out some employment legislation and information on bullying around the place so you're manager can see it and she might take the subtle hint and lay off for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

one thing you've said there is you're close to earning your holiday entitlement - you already have it and they have to give you any owed

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html

8% of all hours worked, so even if you leave tomorrow they HAVE to give you the holiday pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

Sorry if this is bring a bit blunt...but:
    1: Are you/do you consider yourself attractive?
    2: Does your boss find your husand attractive?

If anthing i have found that the majority of people in poistions of power in this country all to easily abuse their powers to suit themselves. Sorry OP but it looks (to me) that you are in for a rough ride in that hotel, but the best of luck to you and your hubbie ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Norwegian honey. are you really from Norway??

How on earth did you leave there to come to Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

fat__tony wrote: »
    Norwegian honey. are you really from Norway??

How on earth did you leave there to come to Ireland?

That has struck me a few times too,lol:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement