Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiding a credit card purchase?

Options
  • 06-07-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Guy buys a piece of jewellery online purchase from Belgium on credit card recently. A 'gift' to be given to other half later in the year. No problems with transaction.

To cut a long story short, his other half will 1. cop the transaction from the statement and, more importantly, 2. freak, given that current financial circumstances are tight as hell and they've pretty much agreed to shelve any major plans until next year.

The transaction, along with all other transactions from that period will be paid for in full by DD from current account. They clear monthly, in full.

I think he's goosed. Don't see anything he can do other than come clean.

His half-baked scheme involves going into a bank today, lob the specific amount paid for that item against the credit card account, by cash lodgement; he's hoping to make it appear to her that the transaction was in effect cancelled/offset/refunded. He'll claim to have been browsing the site and spin some yarn about making a trial purchase which somehow got completed, but has since been reversed.

Beyond lame. In fact I've told him that if she's daft enough to fall for that, he should really reconsider his major plans for later in the year...

Specific to his 'plan': what reference will appear on such a transaction on the following card statement? Other than the date & the amount; will it be "cash payment" or somesuch? Will it be obvious it was a payment made from an Irish bank? Can the reference be fudged to something ostensibly linking it to the actual valid transaction by saying something such as refund/offset...???

Or is he as goosed as I think he is? He meant so well, but...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Last time I put money in in-branch, it came up as "14 JUN 2011 PAYMENT THANK YOU -23.81" So I'd say he's done for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Make sure she doesnt get to see the statment,only way

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

That's what I figured. It's not all bad - she knows there's a 'plan' involving a ring etc, but his chances of springing a surprise re. the timing look shot to hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Davy wrote: »
    Make sure she doesnt get to see the statment,only way
    yup, the statement needs to "dissappear".

is this on a joint statement by the way, or does his beloved one just snoop on his statements in his name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Make a fake statement with purchase removed and swap envelopes?

• Advertisement

yup, the statement needs to "dissappear".

is this on a joint statement by the way, or does his beloved one just snoop on his statements in his name?

Nah - he's goosed. I think they have a joint account - presume so since she has access to online banking.

So hiding the paper statement, or doctoring it, ain't a runner. He'll just have to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Say you signed up for E-Statements, (which banks don't do) make one up. Then state that E-Statements are stupid and go back to the normal way for the following month.

If you do the cash lodgement then the DD (on your bank statement, which she may see) won't be out of line either.

You could always ask the bank to change the narrative - worth a shot.

number10a wrote: »
    Last time I put money in in-branch, it came up as "14 JUN 2011 PAYMENT THANK YOU -23.81" So I'd say he's done for.

Yup; just checked my own records and that's exactly what I get too, so unless that reference can be amended somehow, he's rumbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Maybe she will just ignore it and wait for the ring to be presented :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

For future reference, a prepaid mastercard would have been a better idea.

• Advertisement

Staplor wrote: »

You could always ask the bank to change the narrative - worth a shot.

Doubt very much that's a runner - and with good reason; it bloody shouldn't be!

irish_goat wrote: »

I offered to make the transaction on his behalf with my card and he could tx or lodge the money to my account, but Einstein went ahead with it anyway. He knew in advance it' d be an issue.

And he's the smart one in the relationship...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Could be worse - could have been a present for his mistress! :eek:

Could he get the cash... go back to the jewellery shop and ask them to refund to the credit card account?

He could say it was some scam he caught in time. The Jewellery shop should be fine with this as they'll end up getting 3% ish more from a cash sale.

Davy wrote: »
    Maybe she will just ignore it and wait for the ring to be presented :p

Can you imagine any woman knowing there was a ring with her name on it, somewhere in the same county, sitting back and waiting for anything?

Usain Bolt wouldn't stand a chance.

smcgiff wrote: »
    Could be worse - could have been a present for his mistress! :eek:

Could he get the cash... go back to the jewellery shop and ask them to refund to the credit card account?

He could say it was some scam he caught in time. The Jewellery shop should be fine with this as they'll end up getting 3% ish more from a cash sale.

That's not a bad option - this outfit are Belgium or Holland based though and from the sounds of it are online only. Worth him finding out though. Thx for that.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

He might be embarrassed doing it but he could ring the credit cards section and ask is there anything that he can do. Probably won't be a runner but it's worth a shot and won't be even close to the strangest thing they've been asked to do.

Toots* wrote: »
    He might be embarrassed doing it but he could ring the credit cards section and ask is there anything that he can do. Probably won't be a runner but it's worth a shot and won't be even close to the strangest thing they've been asked to do.

That was the first thing I suggested to him when he brought it up, but he either got nowhere or hasn't bothered his barney to try...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

he could say that the credit card was skimmed (does it specifically say the shop that he purchased?) that way the 'payment - thank you' could be explained by the bank refunding the money?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Redderneck wrote: »
    That was the first thing I suggested to him when he brought it up, but he either got nowhere or hasn't bothered his barney to try...

He should give it a try, worst they could say is no.
    xalot wrote: »
    he could say that the credit card was skimmed (does it specifically say the shop that he purchased?) that way the 'payment - thank you' could be explained by the bank refunding the money?

That's what I was thinking as well, the only thing is usually if one of the cards is skimmed it's cancelled and a new one is issued, so he might need to phone up and ask can a new card be sent out. I'd say that's probably his best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Feck sake, why not just tell the truth and not lie about it.

Isn't that the basis of a marriage :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

Can he not say he made the transaction for someone else and obtained the cash from them to to offset it? I often book flights and holidays for my sister who will not have a credit card herself for fear of over extending her credit. She always gives me the cash upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

irish_goat wrote: »
    Don't use pre paid mastercards for any type of large purchase as they offer little or no consumer protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭paulhealy1991

if you get someone else to log into their online banking and lodge the money into his credit account and get them to reference it "refund for..." or something allow them lines.

Advertisement