Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mardi Gras Feedback!

• 02-07-2011 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I've got onto the all knowing Insect Overlord and we've discussed opening a new thread for the feedback on Mardi Gras, so that we can get some smart constructive answers to what we would like to see, and discuss how to achieve it (Within reason, in that its doable, and not completely OTT; and consider they have budgets too), We will then raise these opinions to the organisers, and to the council and try get the problems rectified for the event next year to make it a more enjoyable night for all!

PS. We know there was a lot of scum there, we covered that in about 6 pages in the last thread, So instead of stating that, come up with a method of what to do about it.

Cheers guys!
    -XS

NOTE: This thread, is being written to get a more clear and concise answer, on what needs to be done. I've asked Insect Overlord to Close the other Mardi Gras Thread for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

was an ok night,town absolutely full of scummers though, not so many in pubs but walking around Denmark St was head central

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

When I was finished and left at about 1am, I was walking down the streets around were pretty empty, but as soon as I got down the the back of Brown Thomas, going towards Thomas St. it will filled with em, all the way down the alley, and down Thomas St & Bedford Row (It was like in Dawn of the Dead with the zombies going back to the mall, because its all they could remember doing, them being the zombies, and the bitterend being the mall!) But I had to speed up a few times going through, until I saw a few people I knew to flock together with, because I had all my camera gear with me, and didn't fancy losing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Under 18's should have been kept out (not sure how this would work with a street party) and I wouldn't mind paying €20 for entrance fee if it meant better security.

If it stays as it is, I'd avoid it in future.

I know the whole point if the thing is to draw people into the area during the summer but maybe moving it to the Riverfest weekend would be better. Last night the scum outnumbered everyone else.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Was it that bad?

The atmosphere on the streets around town was pretty much the opposite of what it should have been. I had a few lovely hours in a bar, no complaints there. It looked like the pub/bar/club owners did a good job inside their premises.

But Mardi Gras is supposed to be a carnival, a celebration. It's not supposed to be about gangs of half-dressed teenage slappers, their scummy drunk boy-friends starting fights and the Gardaí having to clear up glasses/bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I had a great night anyway, saw one or two incidents but thankfully none of them came my way!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

id have no problem paying maybe 5 or 10 euro for it,a charity could get the profits of the tickets if it was an over 18 event after say 10pm but deffo keep the family part or expand on it

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

RonMexico wrote: »
    A LOT of people were disgusted with last night. How many of them do you think will go to the same event next year?

90%

And this year built massively on last year. Would it be fair to say that with a bit more promotion next year could build on this year? [assuming it all goes ahead]

With proper stewards searching EVERYONE entering and exiting the area for alcohol and designated drinking zones only around each pub, controlled by the pubs themselves. Coupled to a stronger Garda presence to help deter any trouble (and quickly react to anything that does start) there may be a future for Mardi Gras in Limerick. I'd even go as far as to say a bright one!

A little more organisation, and a LOT more overtime for the Guards and the night might have been a completely different experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I went based on the great feedback I heard about last year's even and was disappointed in the crowd. There was some fights breaking out around me and security was few throughout the crowd. They should have gardai on each street but they seemed to just be floating about here and there not always around to stop sh!t kicking off. I had a good night though, but that's all because I could drink outside in the nice weather with friends and enjoy the mini parade. I don't usually like parades.

A guy I know and 2 of his mates were beaten up and mugged at an ATM nearby. The event really brought out the scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

In theory the Mardi Gras is a great idea but not orgainised properly. There should have been loads of security, private firms with those polish lads who take no sh**. Maybe the Denmark Street area is too narrow for it aswell.
    Every cell in Limerick was full on Saturday night, quite amazing. I know of one 17 year old who got an unmerciful hiding from a group of 12 year olds and ended up in hospital.
    At least we didnt have the riot which erupted on friday night at the tall ships which was kept very quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

PR coverage for the trouble (in particular the arrests) seems to be a mess. When you've got an official representative of the event saying that there was no trouble at the street party and that there were no arrests made, while there's a myriad of eye-witness statements that there was and a video to demonstrate it, there's an issue with the official statements being made.

The organisers need to step up and admit there was trouble at the event - if they choose to downplay it by saying that in their view there was no more trouble than one might expect and that they're going to continue looking at security for next year, that's their call but, you know, there's a video up the page which clearly contradicts what the official statements have said. That's not the sort of thing that goes over well when, inevitably, the damning videos get forwarded over facebook etc. It makes future statements from the same people worth less. Make the statement worth something and say that something's being done about it. That makes future statements from the same people worth more.

With regard to general security at the event, it looks like the level wasn't sufficient. Look, at events where for many drinking is the focus of the evening, there are always going to be incidents. There's always going to be one plonker who sets something off for no reason and someone else who's drawn into the idiocy of the first guy. Add the amount of scobie teenagers roaming the streets like aggravated zombies in search of a brain and you're not going to have a night where nothing bad happens. At least nobody's been on the radio yet doing the infamous "it's a wonder no-one died, won't someone think of the children" routine.

Venue security aren't going to go out to the streets to stop trouble. Their duty is to the particular venue that hired them and their duty of care is to the people at or inside that venue. But organising some decent separate security for the street party (which itself is another venue - it was touted as such, advertised as such and treated as such) is a no-brainer. That's something that should be done in future. Also, if you're going to advertise Mardi Gras as a family-friendly event (as it was advertised), you're going to have to provide decent security at the street venue. Doing anything else is just asking for trouble. Going on the radio and denying that there was any trouble is just expecting people to swallow a tall tale too large to digest. You admit that there was trouble and you take steps to minimise that trouble in future events. More to the point, you make sure that you're seen to take steps to minimise that trouble in future events. Otherwise, what's the point.

The world's packed with idiots. Unfortunately that's a given. The aim should be to prevent the more obvious idiots from gaining access at all, minimise the trouble caused by the idiots acting idiotically who manage to get in and make it clear that there's a continuous security review to ensure that people can have a good time without someone unjustifiably punching them in the head. Even if there isn't. Actually, especially if there isn't, but if you're going to fake it you may as well actually do it. That's the main issue that the "Market Square" venue grouping needs to address. Assuming that the aim isn't to move, over time, towards a night where only the troublesome scobie idiots turn up for drinks and fights...

The first step, though, is to stop group representatives from making public statements that deny reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Given that O'Connells have used boards extensively to promote this event the least they could do is respond to the feednack. Washing their hands of it on here and on their facebook page is unprofessional. Don't go hawking your event if you are not willing to listen to feedback afterwards. We are not blaming you for what happened but a response on your thoughts regarding security would be the least you could do.

Afterall we were the ones spending money at your event not the scumbags that were walking down the street drinking cans of dutch gold.

Would agree with this. If Boards is fine to use to promote events for profit, then the same people should be willing to discuss and/or listen to people's feedback on the same events that were plugged hard on here.

If the event had been a massive success I reckon folk would have no problem listening to praise about the event, like in the thread for the 2010 event.

It is pretty obvious that a lot of people saw problems at the event, and many here are saying they will not return to the event next year as a result. Any business involved should pay heed to comments like that, and use the feedback to try and prevent the same problems next year.

But if reps of bars come on here and say that it is nowt to do with them and that they only look after their own business, then the same people should not be coming in here advertising the events as a whiole for free as that is nothing more than shilling in my eyes.

I said earlier in this thread that I hoped in a years time we would be reading a trhread about the 2012 event with people posting about how improved things were and about how good a night they had, but if the attitude of peoiple who were involved in the event is to just turn their heads when told of problems, then people may be better off spending their time and money elsewhere and just let the rough element have the so called market quarter that is quick to talk up events but seemingly slow to engage when there are problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Guys i think ye need to step back here for a minute.

O'Connells didnt organise mardi gras, they were involved with it,
    so was smyths/icon, angel lane, mollys the limerick city council, look at the posters for it, there are several logo's so its unfare to bash O'Connells.

I also know what the city council had a very tight hand in this years, they forced alot of things to be finished early, they are responsible for the lack of stewards/garda presence on the night in my opinion, that was there department, not Icons/O'Connells/any other establishment,
    unless the city council can put more garda out on the streets there isnt a whole lot the pubs can do about scum in the streets is there? they dont have the ability or legality to arrest/detain/remove people from public/city property only the city can

keyboard heros the lot of ye, stop shouting and think for a minute would ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Jagle wrote: »
    Guys i think ye need to step back here for a minute.

O'Connells didnt organise mardi gras, they were involved with it,
    so was smyths/icon, angel lane, mollys the limerick city council, look at the posters for it, there are several logo's so its unfare to bash O'Connells.

I also know what the city council had a very tight hand in this years, they forced alot of things to be finished early, they are responsible for the lack of stewards/garda presence on the night in my opinion, that was there department, not Icons/O'Connells/any other establishment,
    unless the city council can put more garda out on the streets there isnt a whole lot the pubs can do about scum in the streets is there? they dont have the ability or legality to arrest/detain/remove people from public/city property only the city can

keyboard heros the lot of ye, stop shouting and think for a minute would ye.

If scum bags show up to ruin an event then in fairness all the blame lies with them.

No one is passing the blame onto any one pub all they are saying is that if a pub uses this site to gain free advertising for an event they will make money from, then they also need to be open to critisim/feedback should something go wrong.

I would love a pub owner/organiser to come on and say we tried to do something good, different and exciting for the city, but a small group of idiots hell bent on trouble ruined it. We will need to address this for next year to ensure people can enjoy the night in comfort and security. If you have any suggestions we would welcome them.

Rather than going on the radio saying nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭SnoopyGunner

I'd agree with Grumpypants' post above. There should have been a higher Garda presence and the council should be helping I believe. Sometimes it appears the council says a lot about bringing business into the city and how we need more events but don't seem to act on their words. Private business organised this event so fair play for that but there has to be more co-ordination and better security and more support from the public bodies.

A higher Garda pressence wouold and wouldn't work in a sense of, it may be out of budget for the organisation, and Saturday night crime doesn't stop for a party! However if the money was there for it, it would help to have.

It was G4S doing the Security, I'd imagine that they were restricted in what they were aloud do.

In my opinion; The way it should be run is, during the day have a little festival for all the family, so there is face-painters etc. and something to do for the kids and a parade, then later on in the night, have another prade, and have the entire pub scene of things, and have the entire area as an 18+ Zone, with people being restricted on the streets, rather then having a load of 15/16 year olds drinking Vodka on the streets, posing a risk to themselves and everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

1: The BBQ's, Beerfest, Bands, Parade etc was all brilliant.

2:The free beads being thrown from rooftops etc was all good craic, maybe the venues involved could hand them out at the entrances to the streets/venues themselves

3:There was a lot of confusion regarding the plastic cups.In O'Connells you were served beer in a pint glass and if you wanted to leave you had to get a plastic cup on the way out. This wasn't at all clear. In Nancy's and Flannery's people were saying they weren't allowed out at all, even with a plastic cup. Kind of defeats the point of the whole thing.

4:More security was needed at the street entrances. More Gardai needed on patrol.

5:Crowd control needs to be implemented in some manner. I'm not sure how feasible this is with a street party.Perhaps residents of the area could be issued with passes and everyone else has to purchase a ticket from the venues prior to the event. €20 is a reasonable price. Also make it over 21's.

6: I don't think this is a family friendly event and should not be marketed as such.

7: For O'Connells - I think it would be better if you integrated the Beerfest with the Riverfest weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I think next year they should work a ticket system... Not sure how it would work but maybe you could colour coordinate them where if you buy blue you get into icon or red for angle lane and a cheaper ticket for street/ pub only. This should be strictly to over 21's, which all the clubs / pubs down there are anyway.

Each entrance to the streets should be treated like a club door on a regular saturday night with a garda presence... All drunkenness, underage or undesirables should be dealt with here. Security on every door /street entrance should all be on the same radio frequency....

As for events , each pub or club should try and put on something different either music or theme etc which could be outlined in a small guide.

I guess the main thing is that everybody works together instead of looking after their own patch and in conjunction with the guards.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

2:The free beads being thrown from rooftops etc was all good craic, maybe the venues involved could hand them out at the entrances to the streets/venues themselves

3:There was a lot of confusion regarding the plastic cups.In O'Connells you were served beer in a pint glass and if you wanted to leave you had to get a plastic cup on the way out. This wasn't at all clear. In Nancy's and Flannery's people were saying they weren't allowed out at all, even with a plastic cup. Kind of defeats the point of the whole thing.

4:More security was needed at the street entrances. More Gardai needed on patrol.

5:Crowd control needs to be implemented in some manner. I'm not sure how feasible this is with a street party.Perhaps residents of the area could be issued with passes and everyone else has to purchase a ticket from the venues prior to the event. €20 is a reasonable price. Also make it over 21's.

6: I don't think this is a family friendly event and should not be marketed as such.

7: For O'Connells - I think it would be better if you integrated the Beerfest with the Riverfest weekend.
    Vanolder wrote: »
    I think next year they should work a ticket system... Not sure how it would work but maybe you could colour coordinate them where if you buy blue you get into icon or red for angle lane and a cheaper ticket for street/ pub only. This should be strictly to over 21's, which all the clubs / pubs down there are anyway.

Each entrance to the streets should be treated like a club door on a regular saturday night with a garda presence... All drunkenness, underage or undesirables should be dealt with here. Security on every door /street entrance should all be on the same radio frequency....

As for events , each pub or club should try and put on something different either music or theme etc which could be outlined in a small guide.

I guess the main thing is that everybody works together instead of looking after their own patch and in conjunction with the guards.....

Why over 21s?? Because I, and many others, are 18/19/20 we are expected to behave like the knackers?? Ridiculous.

It should be a ticket event though, then organisers have the right to refuse entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Why over 21s?? Because I, and many others, are 18/19/20 we are expected to behave like the knackers?? Ridiculous.

It should be a ticket event though, then organisers have the right to refuse entry.

indeed intergrating tickets with pubs/clubs is a bad idea, but a ticket system would work for entrance to the street that night, tho all shops/clubs/pubs in the area would have lots of staff/residences as well to consider. but stopping people before the party is better then having to arrest them after the damage is done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bevvie

I thought it was alright, not great. The parade was cool for all 5 minutes of it!
    The beads getting thrown was cool but I think the evening part from 9pm should have been STRICTLY 18's only requiring ID(I mean I saw kids in buggies there!). Bags, jackets etc. should have been searched from the very beginning not when the trouble kicked off. A ticketing system would work at the gates. There should have been more plastic cups at some of the venues e.g. Flannerys(older) ran out of plastic cups and reverted to glass meaning that me and my friends had to down our drinks in one! Also Molly's advertised a deal that if you ordered a mojito you got beads then you could exchange them for a free shot which they reneged on! Once a person caused trouble they should have been kicked out! Also it would have been handy if they had blocked off the area around the Old Quarter Pub rather than leaving it open!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Your problem with events such as this during the summer is the fact that students have mostly gone home to their counties. That leaves the young scumbags.

Nightclubs probably know this is going on and being desperate for money probably leave everyone in.

Bevvie wrote: »
    Also it would have been handy if they had blocked off the area around the Old Quarter Pub rather than leaving it open!

That area was closed off

That area was closed off

It wasnt at around 11.30+
    Me and 2 friends were looking for people and it was open. Didnt get stopped, carded or searched!(I'm talking about the pasage beside Zweton... That is the old quarter pub?)

Yeah, the old quater is now O'Connells, Which were one of the pubs involved! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

It's terrible to label all at this age, but to answer your question, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I think 'over 21s' is a cop-out by lazy security who can't be bothered being strick with knackers so they ban all under 21s. Pathetic.

Yeah, the old quater is now O'Connells, Which were one of the pubs involved! :P
    Thanks my knowledge of limerick's streets is limited to what shop/takeaway/restaurant is on it!

Its a disgrace when you think about it since ive been here for about 19 years :P

I think 'over 21s' is a cop-out by lazy security who can't be bothered being strick with knackers so they ban all under 21s. Pathetic.

Exactly, if they actually you know made an effort a lot of trouble could have been avoided e.g. more guards - like one at each barrier and a few patrolling the area. Any troublemakers take their id, note down the name and not let them back in! Also id should have been required since 9pm, not at arpund 10-11 when the security felt bothered to do so!

Bevvie wrote: »
    Thanks my knowledge of limerick's streets is limited to what shop/takeaway/restaurant is on it!

Its a disgrace when you think about it since ive been here for about 19 years :P

A lot of people, including me still call O'Connells, The Old Quater. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

That seems very small minded , my 19 & 17 year old were at it , they don't behave like knackers .

Advertisement