Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grammar Book to Compliment Rosetta Stone

Options
  • 06-07-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to learning German with a view to moving there some time in the next couple of years. I've started with Rosetta Stone but I feel I definitely need a reference book to go along with it because when a familiar structure changes unexpectedly I feel kind of thrown.

I'd prefer a grammar oriented book with examples. Nothing turns me off studying a language like a very dry technical grammar book. I want to be able to read/speak/write the language not dissect it's structure.

Can anybody recommend a book that has really helped them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

humbert wrote: »
    I'm trying to learning German with a view to moving there some time in the next couple of years. I've started with Rosetta Stone but I feel I definitely need a reference book to go along with it because when a familiar structure changes unexpectedly I feel kind of thrown.

I'd prefer a grammar oriented book with examples. Nothing turns me off studying a language like a very dry technical grammar book. I want to be able to read/speak/write the language not dissect it's structure.

Can anybody recommend a book that has really helped them?

Not really a book, but I came across this site here: http://www.canoo.net

Or maybe one of the 'Schulbuchverlage'? Some of them might deliver to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Thanks, that's a useful looking site for investigating troubling grammar points.

Just to clarify, I've not looking for a book which is related to Rosetta Stone, just one which could be read along with it to clarify the grammatical end of things.

Is there a school of thought when learning languages to learn grammar through experience speaking and reading the language rather than to study it independently/explicitly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Dun wrote: »

Thanks man, that looks ideal. I'll give it a try and see how I get on.

Advertisement