Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi's tomato sauces

Options
  • 06-07-2011 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

Has anyone tasted Aldi's tomato sauces? Any favourite?
    I usually like Aldi's products, but have never tried their tomato sauces and they have a wide range from the cheapest to the more "posh looking".

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Agent Oso

I quite like the sauce, not as thick as say chef but nice, mayo is yum too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

There tomato sauces are are little watery, i prefer the thicker ones from the likes of Dolmino's etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Sauce from a jar? Yuck.

Finely chop an onion and a couple of cloves if garlic. Gently fry in a glug of olive oil (don't burn the garlic)

Add a tin of chopped Aldi tomatoes. Add a good squirt of aldi tomato paste and a good squirt of Heinz Tomato Ketchup. Add a teaspoon of red wine vinegar. Allow to simmer for 10-15 mins. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Chop a handful of fresh basil and add about a minute before you're ready to serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

stimpson wrote: »
    Sauce from a jar? Yuck.

Finely chop an onion and a couple of cloves if garlic. Gently fry in a glug of olive oil (don't burn the garlic)

Add a tin of chopped Aldi tomatoes. Add a good squirt of aldi tomato paste and a good squirt of Heinz Tomato Ketchup. Add a teaspoon of red wine vinegar. Allow to simmer for 10-15 mins. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Chop a handful of fresh basil and add about a minute before you're ready to serve.

Yes, fresh tomato sauce can't be beaten. But explain that to any full time working mum who needs to feed her kids in 10 min before they scream the house down (with the addition of having one permanently glued to her leg) - that's me most nights, by the way.
    I enjoy cooking and when I have some time, I'll make everything from scratch, pastry, sauces (tomato, cheese, salad), stews, you name it. But sometimes, it's great to have a jar in the cupboard. I'll give a go at the specially selected Aldi sauce. Their top range products are usually quite good

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

would you consider making up a big batch of sauce and freezing them in individual portions?

• Advertisement
Advertisement