Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RP12, RP12S or RP200

• 06-07-2011 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

What are the differences between the RP12, RP12s and the RP200.
    I`m on the lookout for one to bale hay, I`d like one thats easy to maintain, use and fix.
    It needn't even be a welger, or a 4X4 it could be a 5X4, I`d just like to find the most reliable non chopper balers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fintaneng

how much would you be talking of spending ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Id be hoping to get one for around 3k, I seen a nice example for 4k on Donedeal
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/2294064
    but i know feck all about them so i need to learn up a bit on them first.
    If I was to spend more I be looking for something newer and would have to budget higher than 3K

Anyway, no lectures on how a contractor would work out cheaper, I know this, but I want my own way of doing the Hay, I'm sick of ringing to come and bale and then been told to go down and open the gate that they`ll be there in a half an hour, and then not turn up till the next day after it has rained :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fintaneng

well first off stay away from rp 12 nothing wrong with them but there years out of date and i would think starting to get hard to sorce parts. the rp 200 you saw is a standard bailer no chopper as you said, problem with them is there is no rotor for the chopper box and this makes them harder to pull in stuff to the bale chamber. other than that there a good bailer.net wrap unit can be fitted but be prepaired to spend money on that not wort putting in on a standard bailer.I would look at the class 46 bailer they wouldnt have the hardship that a welger bailer has put through as the back door locks on the welger when bailing and there is no give in the chamber when filling this is fine when the bailers are new.you should pick up a good 46 with net chopper and wide pick up for around 4to5k.stay away from most other makes of that age. by the way I have 2 welger profi 235s so I am not pushing the class just think they would suit you better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

I disagree about it being hard to get parts for the RP12 and !2s. It is easy and cheap to get bits for them, and I run two. They are a good reliable baler too, and rarely break down. Not a contractors machine for sure, but fine for a guy doing up to 2000 bales a year I think.

BUT

The RP12/12s is a poor machine at hay. Short dry crop is difficult for them to handle, although the last of the RP12s were modified substantially to deal with this with ribbed rollers, a large bottom roller, and an RP200 pickup.

If you are only baling hay, then don't get a chopper, the RP200 you picked out looks like a decent option. The '200 doesn't has a good a reputation as the either the 12s or the RP220 that replaced it. I don't know why though, and I doubt it matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Thats for the info lads,
    I think I`ll try for a rp200 or the claas 46 non choppers. Any advice on what to check for on these balers, obviously I'm going to see them baling before I commit to buy but is there any thing in particular I should look out for. Also I seen some balers advertised with a wide angle drive shaft what exactly is this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

A wide angle drive shaft has a double hardi spicer at one end. It is better able to take power at headlands when you're turning.

It's worth a few quid more as it will last longer, well worth your while to try get one, just make sure all the hardi spicers are nice and free in all directions but not damaged!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coolio kidddd

hi there. for a farmer and especially for bailing hay the claas 46 rollant (standard or wide pickup) (non-chopper) would be ideal. weve had claas 46 since 1996 and never had any problems with it. very reliable baler. ours is standard and can keep up with a chopper baler with wide pickup anyday. the fact that the door of the baler is kept closed with hydralic pressure and not 2 latches like most balers means that if you forget to let off the bale at the max limit the door will keep opening rather then bust the chains or chamer this means the baler chamber will have had an easy life and another advantage over welger (just an example) is that they have bigger rollers meaning a lesser number of rollers in the baler compared with welger has smaller rollers and more rollers overall less rollers means less maintenence and less things to go wrong and the baler is easier to run. ours also bales our silage. this one is in clare http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/2301116
    sorry about the lack of organisation in my reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

What width is the pick up on the standard ? its a nice looking baler but the pick up looks fairly narrow

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coolio kidddd

moy83 wrote: »
    What width is the pick up on the standard ? its a nice looking baler but the pick up looks fairly narrow

the one in the ad is the exact same as our one (both standard with balers) and i went out to the shed and measured it......its 55 inches (140cm) where as the wide pick up 46 is 185 cm not much of a difference like....still a great baler to take grass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

55 inches would be plenty wide for me i just thought it looked narrow in the picture .Looks a clean baler for the money

• Advertisement
Advertisement