Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gormanatown Live Firing

• 06-07-2011 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

I read the notice in the paper that live firing is taking place at Gormanstown Camp this week.I dont live that far away,can anything be seen from the beach,do they shoot at targets out to sea?Might kill an hour with the kids.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

You'll be able to hear it from as far away as Swords. Generally air-to-ground is at a floating target and ground-to-air is at a towed drogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Nibs05

I live in laytown and you can walk up the beach or on the trail behind mosney, you might come to a soldier or sometimes 2 (with machine guns!) and that as far as you go but can get idea of what's happening, there are big red warning signs and you cannot pass these if the red flag is flying on top of the cliff. It's was like a war zone yesterday using land to air missiles.
    Should mention aswell that they don't fire all day long as the aircraft go off to be refuelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Thanks for the info Nibs05,will venture down tomorrow between the showers with some binoculars and kids in tow.I knew about the red flags,so wont be wandering around a a target!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

land to air missiles
    Tell me they dont fire the RBS from gormo!?

You probably saw the Bofors anti aircraft guns firing at an aircorps plane towing a target drogue behind it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

There is a bridge over the main Belfast line (I think at Mosney). The Ground Controller used to be positioned there and his main task was to ensure there were no trains passing as the aircraft were cleared for a live-run. If a train was passing then the aircraft is cleared for a 'dummy run'. Not sure if they still use this location (maybe a quick recce will tell you).

• Advertisement
Advertisement