Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engraved/Inscribed Omega Pocket Watch - info required.

• 06-07-2011 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello all,

I have the below Omega pocket watch. It has just been serviced with a new mainspring and it is ticking along nicely as they say. The serial number dates it from 1916-1918. The watch itself is quite attractive and a lovely weight, but the inscription makes it special and this is where I am hoping someone can help.

I took it to a local antique dealer who said they have never seen anything like it before, suggesting that it may have been made while someone was in prison.

If anyone could give me any pointers on the inscription then I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,
    Pearse.

DSC01995.jpg

DSC01997.jpg

DSC01990.jpg

DSC01486.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 alantul

think of seen that before? unusual

where was it serviced

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Pearsem

Was serviced by someone in Limerick through my Antique dealer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've no info to help you excpet to say the watch itself is good quality, but that's a great engraving and not like the usual at all. Hope you find out more :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

What a beautiful watch to have in ones collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    What a beautiful watch to have in ones collection.
    +1 very interesting, there looks like a major story behind that watch.

• Advertisement

It looks like the tower and Celtic cross at Glendalough. It's also an interesting date as it's around the time of the Easter Rising. Beautiful.

My Irish is crap is that Erin go Bha (Ireland forever?).

Some beautiful pocket watches for sale on this site including a Swedish model from 1750.
    http://www.darlor-watch.com/swiss_p_w_2.html

He has an Omega from the early 1900's so a similar vintage to yours.
    http://www.darlor-watch.com/swiss_p_w_4.html

Advertisement