Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

data usage for smart phones running map my ride

• 06-07-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi

Just ran map my ride on a new HTC smartphone for an hour long ride. Do any users use this programme on iphones or other such phones? What kind of data usage are we talking? Is 1gb a month allowance under threat with a couple of day long rides a month?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You would use close to zero. For the ride itself you're just recording GPS data (i.e. no network data). There will be some map downloading, though probably not during the ride itself unless you're looking at the screen, and then finally the upload to the server when you're finished. I would estimate tops 1-3MB (i.e. 0.1% to 0.3% of your monthly allowance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Hi

Just ran map my ride on a new HTC smartphone for an hour long ride. Do any users use this programme on iphones or other such phones? What kind of data usage are we talking? Is 1gb a month allowance under threat with a couple of day long rides a month?

Thanks in advance

Very little - as Khannie said, just a mb or two for the upload at the end, if you've just been using it to track your ride. Well, that's how it works for Endomondo Sportstracker that I'm using.

As an aside, I was worried about battery life for the Ring of Kerry so put it into Airplane Mode as the GPS still works then. On the HTC Wildfire (small fella) the battery had about 1/3 left after 7+ hours.

As an aside, I was worried about battery life for the Ring of Kerry so put it into Airplane Mode as the GPS still works then.

That's a nice little trick. I did use one while I was in the UK before and disabled data during the run, then used wifi when I got back to my sisters house for the upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭thedudeinthehat

Hi

Thanks in advance

Very little - as Khannie said, just a mb or two for the upload at the end, if you've just been using it to track your ride. Well, that's how it works for Endomondo Sportstracker that I'm using.

As an aside, I was worried about battery life for the Ring of Kerry so put it into Airplane Mode as the GPS still works then. On the HTC Wildfire (small fella) the battery had about 1/3 left after 7+ hours.

Cheers for that. Yeh i guess its the gps that it is relaying so the data use is in the upload. Battery the one to watch for your right! Nifty little toys these htcs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I can get it to use absolutely nothing, If you're doing a cycle from your house and back again just set up the ride while outside but in wi-fi coverage and save it once you get home and back on the wireless( I can pick it up in my front drive so I can do it as soon as I arrive) keep the app minimized during the journey with the phone locked/on standby and it should use 0kb.

• Advertisement

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I can get it to use absolutely nothing, If you're doing a cycle from your house and back again just set up the ride while outside but in wi-fi coverage and save it once you get home and back on the wireless( I can pick it up in my front drive so I can do it as soon as I arrive) keep the app minimized during the journey with the phone locked/on standby and it should use 0kb.

Yep. If you have no data plan for example, this would be your default. That's what I did when I was in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I use RunKeeper on HTC Wildfire and find it has very little impact on my data plan.

Advertisement