Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secondary school as employer

• 06-07-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was just wondering does anyone know what the difference is (if any) being employed by a secondary school in comparison to being employed by the Dept of Ed, or a VEC?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

How do you mean being employed by the school exactly? Teachers that are in secondary schools are employed and paid by the Dept of Education to teach in that school but have no other links to any other school.

Some schools offer privately paid positions which are funded out of the school's budget. They have nothing to do with the Dept of Ed or the VECs and these positions tend only to be in fee paying schools.

I have a feeling you mean the first one though.

Teachers that are employed by a VEC are normally assigned to one school in the VEC (sometimes you can be split between two or more). You are employed and paid by the VEC and because you are employed by the VEC you can be redeployed to another school or centre within that VEC if the need arises.

I'm employed by Roscommon VEC and four of the teachers in my school have been redeployed in the last two years, to another school in the county, to adult education centres in the county and the prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

That particular school seems to be an amalgamation of VEC and secondary. Maybe some teachers are VEC paid and some are Dept paid. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

deemark wrote: »
    That particular school seems to be an amalgamation of VEC and secondary. Maybe some teachers are VEC paid and some are Dept paid. :confused:

If they are like my previous schools prior to amalgamation they would be. Some employed by each but to add to the confusion, those teachers probably work in both buildings.

Advertisement